Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Host Time-Sharing  (Read 4788 times)

Jimmy Owen

Game Show Host Time-Sharing
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2004, 07:40:59 PM »
One host that hasn't been mentioned is Herb Shriner, who took three consecutive summers off on TftM.  Walter O'Keefe filled in in 54 (and Herb appeared as a contestant on Walter's last show). Sam Levenson filled in in 55 and 56 and took over in when the show resumed in 57. (GSN did not get far enough in the run to show the Levenson eps.)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

sshuffield70

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2004, 12:13:21 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'May 3 2004, 04:53 PM\'] [quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'May 2 2004, 02:55 PM\']There had been one or two other DC's before Jim's.  I believe his DC gig ran from 1982-87.  It was then taken over by Martha Smith for about another year.  For the younger folks, while the current DC uses real cases, the older DC used dramatizations with a twist....no one knew the outcome of the case in advance (only Judge William B. Keene did).[/quote]
Also, the while the litigants were actors, actual attorneys presented the cases to the actual (retired) Judge Keene (and his predecessors in the previous versions).

For the record, in the 80s court strip boom "The Judge" and "Superior Court" were also dramatizations--however, those shows used actors entirely.  Actor Bob Franklin had played "The Judge" for over a decade on local Columbus, OH television before the show went national. [/quote]
 I hate to nitpick (frankly we all do.......) but being a big fan of "The Judge" I have to say the guy playing Judge Franklin was a guy named Bob Shield.  Yeah, I knew about "The Judge" and "Superior Court" using actors (though two years of "SC" used former judges as their judges.  In fact the '87-'88 season had two (Jill Jakes and Louis M. Welch.)

uncamark

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2004, 02:37:19 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'May 3 2004, 11:13 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'May 3 2004, 04:53 PM\'] For the record, in the 80s court strip boom "The Judge" and "Superior Court" were also dramatizations--however, those shows used actors entirely.  Actor Bob Franklin had played "The Judge" for over a decade on local Columbus, OH television before the show went national. [/quote]
I hate to nitpick (frankly we all do.......) but being a big fan of "The Judge" I have to say the guy playing Judge Franklin was a guy named Bob Shield.
[/quote]
Well, it's been a while.  :)

And talk about shows with no rerun potential--at least game shows got rerun potential in cable--to a certain extent.

sshuffield70

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2004, 04:07:34 PM »
And then you had that court block before the game block...........

zachhoran

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2004, 06:48:59 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'May 4 2004, 01:37 PM\']
I hate to nitpick (frankly we all do.......) but being a big fan of "The Judge" I have to say the guy playing Judge Franklin was a guy named Bob Shield.
[/QUOTE]
Well, it's been a while.  :)

And talk about shows with no rerun potential--at least game shows got rerun potential in cable--to a certain extent. [/quote]
 USA reran Wapner People's Court(albeit USA Live-ized) from 1995-97, and they reran the Judge and SUperior Court for a spell in the early 90s IIRC.

ChuckNet

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2004, 12:08:29 PM »
Do you think if Jim had taken over for Jack, instead of Bill in 84, that the show would have ran longer then it did after Jack left?

No, since the show was pretty much in the toilet ratings-wise by that point, it wouldn't have mattered if they brought back Allen Ludden from the dead to host.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

ChuckNet

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2004, 12:10:21 PM »
Same name, different dude. Just like the host of the Joker's Wild remake did not play George Wendt's brother on his 1994 sitcom.

Or like how the host of Sports On Tap (and later the 1996 CS pilot) didn't become an MTV host w/a penchant for outrageous Letterman-type stunts.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

BrandonFG

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2004, 04:46:25 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'May 2 2004, 07:08 PM\'] [quote name=\'Terry K\' date=\'May 2 2004, 05:39 PM\'] [quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'May 2 2004, 02:55 PM\'] There had been one or two other DC's before Jim's.  I believe his DC gig ran from 1982-87.  It was then taken over by Martha Smith for about another year.  For the younger folks, while the current DC uses real cases, the older DC used dramatizations with a twist....no one knew the outcome of the case in advance (only Judge William B. Keene did). [/quote]
That would explain why Jim wasn't offered TJW when Barry died.  He was already committed to DC for a long term.  I can only *guess* that if Jim Peck was available full time they'd have given him the job.  TJW though, was a show they could have somewhat worked around his DC schedule, but I doubt that the producers wanted him potentially competing with himself.  
 [/quote]
Good theory, but based on the evidence I have, Divorce Court started later than that -- 1984 according to The Encyclopedia of Daytime Television, 1986 according to Total Television and IMDB.com (Jim's made a few movies, apparently).

Time to dig up the old TV Guides... [/quote]
 At least 1985...I remember reading a "Broadcasting" magazine, talking about the high ratings Divorce Court got in Feb. 1985 sweeps.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!