The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Alternate Daytime Emmys

(1/5) > >>

Winkfan:
A few years ago, there was a book called Alternate Oscars. In it, the author compares the actual Oscar-winning films and actors to who he feels should have won the honor. So I thought that in the days leading up to this year's Daytime Emmy Awards on May 21, I'm going to take a cue from this book and do something here called Alternate Daytime Emmys; of course, I will just do the two major game show categories. As usual, comments are welcome. Now, let's start at the beginning, to the first Daytime Emmy ceremony:

1974.....the year of the first ceremony:

OUTSTANDING GAME SHOW:
Their choice: Password
My choice: Match Game '74 (Runners-up: The Hollywood Squares, Jackpot, The Price is Right, The $10,000 Pyramid)
Comments: This was definiely the season of MG '74. The combination of wacky panelists, hilarious host, and slightly naughty questions should've made this show a winner at the Emmys, but they went with a slowly-fading word game that would go to its 'all-star' format a few months later, and change its format once more before throwing in the towel the next year.

OUTSTANDING GAME SHOW HOST:
Their choice: Peter Marshall (THSQ)
My choice: Wink Martindale (Gambit)
(Runners-up: Dick Clark ($10kP), Art James (The Who, What or Where Game), Tom Kennedy (Split Second), Gene Rayburn (MG '74)
Comments: Not to take anything away from the 'Square-Master,' but Heatter-Quigley's TV version of blackjack put the Winkster over the top as a game show host, just as Pyramid did for Clark. Art James would've been a 'sentimental favorite' seeing how the 3Ws was evicted from NBC earlier in the year. Kennedy and Geno each had one of their best gigs so far.

1975.....the year of the boom:

OUTSTANDING GAME SHOW:
Their choice: The Hollywood Squares
My choice: Gambit (Runners-up: The Big Showdown, Match Game '75, Tattletales, The $10,000 Pyramid)
Comments: Sorry MG '75 fans, but too many Euell Gibbons jokes (questions) cost this already dominant show the Emmy this year. Meanwhile, the TV blackjack game had its best season at this period. During this time, they had one of their most memorable couples, Karen & Phil Livingston, as big winners. (As evidenced by the lone episode on the trading circuit.)

Their choice: Peter Marshall (THSQ)
My choice: (tie) Wink Martindale (Gambit) & Gene Rayburn (MG '75)
(Runners-up: Dick Clark ($10kP), Jack Narz (Now You See It), Jim Peck (TBS)
Comments: While Narz was the 'sentimental fave' and Peck was the 'underdog,' you might say it was a 'dead heat' between the Winkster and His Gene-ious. Both men gave their best hosting performances during this time.

1976.....the year of the gong:

OUTSTANDING GAME SHOW:
Their choice: The $20,000 Pyramid
My choice: The $20,000 Pyramid (Runners-up: Match Game '76, The Price is Right, Tattletales, Wheel of Fortune)
Comments: For the first time, I agree with the TV Academy on $20kP for the honor. I mean, how can you argue?

Their choice: Allen Ludden (Password)
My choice: Jim Peck (The Big Showdown)
(Runners-up: Dick Clark ($20kP), Wink Martindale (Gambit), Adam Wade (Musical Chairs), Chuck Woolery (WoF)
Comments: This year the Academy chose Ludden as a 'sentimental fave' because his show got axed the year before; but Peck's debut show also went 'bye-bye' at the same time. I feel that Jim really gave his all during this period; I mean, what other host would survive a 'not-so-grand' staircase entrance one time and still pull off a good hosting job? And why did I select Wade as one of the nominees? Hey, I thought he did a FAB job as host of Musical Chairs!

Next time, 1977.

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Loretta Swit of the Big Board!

Winkfan:
Before I continue with my on-going series, may I say that I was surprised there hasn't been any replies to this. I guess you're waiting until I get to the later years. Oh well, shall we carry on then?

1977.....the year of the Feud:

OUTSTANDING GAME SHOW:
Their choice: Family Feud
My choice: Family Feud (Runners-up: The Hollywood Squares, Match Game '77, The $20,000 Pyramid, Wheel of Fortune)
Comments: For the second year in a row, the TV Academy and moi are in agreement on this one.

Their choice: Bert Convy (Tattletales)
My choice: Tom Kennedy (Break the Bank '76)
[Runners-up: Dick Clark ($20kP), Bert Convy (Tattletales), Richard Dawson (FF), Gene Rayburn (MG '77)]
Comments: Dawson seemed like an odds-on choice because his show was the breakout hit this season. However, Kennedy gets my pick not only as a 'sentimental fave' but I also feel he turned in his best hosting job on BtB '76.

1978.....the 2nd year of the Feud:

OUTSTANDING GAME SHOW:
My choice: Family Feud (Runners-up: The Hollywood Squares, Match Game '78, The Price is Right, The $20,000 Pyramid)
Comments: Let's face it, HSQ was starting to stand on its last legs. But FF was really into high gear; being the top-rated game show and all.

Their choice: Richard Dawson (FF)
My choice: Richard Dawson (FF)
[Runners-up: Bob Barker (TPiR), Dick Clark ($20kP), Peter Marshall (THSQ), Gene Rayburn (MG '78)]
Comments: OK, so I had to inlcude Barker among the other nominees this year, but this year Dawson was definitely at his very best.

1979.....the year of the WHEW:

OUTSTANDING GAME SHOW:
My choice: Family Feud (Runners-up: Card Sharks, The Hollywood Squares, Tic Tac Dough, The $20,000 Pyramid)
Comments: Talk about history repeating itself! Otherwise, two of the other nominees would be gone within a year, while the other two were each hitting their stride.

Their choice: Dick Clark ($20kP)
My choice: Gene Rayburn (MG '79)
[Runners-up: Dick Clark ($20kP), Richard Dawson (FF), Art Fleming (Jeopardy!), Wink Martindale (TTD)]
Comments: Both Fleming and Rayburn would've been this season's 'sentimental faves;' one because his show came and went this season, while the other's show lost its network slot a few months afterward. However, I feel Geno gets the nod this time, moreso for trying to squeeze in some more of that schtick of his even as MG '79 was slowly becoming a shell of the show it was in its first few years.

Next time, Welcome to the 80s!

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Jane Nelson of the Big Board!

P.S. This marks my 200th post!

Winkfan:
The Daytime Emmys enter a new decade.....

1980.....the year of the McKee

OUTSTANDING GAME SHOW:
Their choice: (tie) The Hollywood Squares & The $20,000 Pyramid
My choice: The Joker's Wild (Runners-up: Chain Reaction, Family Feud, Password Plus, The $20,000 Pyramid)
Comments: I chose TJW because this was one of their best seasons so far; mainly due to their '$250,000 Tournament of Champions' that year.

Their choice: Peter Marshall (The Hollywood Squares)
My choice: Allen Ludden (Password Plus)
[Runners-up: Jack Barry (TJW), Dick Clark ($20kP), Richard Dawson (FF), Monty Hall (Beat the Clock)]
Comments: Boy, five veterans for me to have chosen from. But I went with 'Mr Password' because he helped add a new twist to an old fave. Also, he managed to maintain his enthuiasm even right up until his departure later this year.

1981.....the year of not much

OUTSTANDING GAME SHOW:
Their choice: The $20,000 Pyramid
My choice: Card Sharks (Runners-up: Blockbusters, Family Feud, Password Plus, Tic Tac Dough)
Comments: Four Goodson-Todman shows plus one Barry-Enright show; but I felt that CS was definitely at its peak this time. And why not? They had that unforgettable game show hosts' tournament this season.

Their choice: Peter Marshall (The Hollywood Squares)
My choice: Bill Cullen (Blockbusters)
[Runners-up: Jack Barry (TJW), Peter Marshall (THSQ), Wink Martindale (Las Vegas Gambit & TTD), Jim Perry (CS)]
Comments: True, Peter was this year's 'sentimental fave,' and the other three nominees were at their peak, but if you've been following BB on GSN, you've definitely seen Cullen at his very best. He truly should've gotten the Emmy for this gig, which is why he's my choice for this season.

1982.....the year of the next GS boom

OUTSTANDING GAME SHOW:
Their choice: Password Plus
My choice: (tie) Blockbusters & Tic Tac Dough
(Runners-up: Family Feud, The Joker's Wild, Password Plus)
Comments: The Academy's choice this season lost the man who guided it to success last year, so I could've agreed with the Academy. Instead, I chose two shows to share the honor. Both had a good 'play-along' factor which is important to any good game show.

Their choice: Bob Barker (The Price is Right)
My choice: Jack Barry (TJW)
[Runners-up: Bill Cullen (BB), Richard Dawson (FF), Wink Martindale (TTD), Jim Perry (Card Sharks)]
Comments: Oh sure, everyone felt that Sir Bore-ker 'was way overdue for the honor.' But if you ask me, the 1981-82 season of TJW was the best one JB had as host. Mainly because there were two great 'tournaments' that season; one with college students and another with newlywed couples. Which is why Jack should've gotten the award in my book.

Next time.....1983.

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Jane Nelson of the Big Board!'

Winkfan:
Now, where were we? OOOOHHHHH YEEEAAAHHH!

1983.....the year of the 'upset'

OUTSTANDING GAME SHOW:
Their choice: The $25,000 Pyramid
My choice: The $25,000 Pyramid
(Runners-up: Family Feud, The Price is Right, Tattletales, Tic Tac Dough)
Comments: The Academy and I are in agreement once again. 'Nuff said.

Their choice: Betty White (Just Men!)
My choice: Pat Sajak (Wheel of Fortune)
[Runners-up: Dick Clark ($25kP), Bert Convy (Tattletales), Richard Dawson (FF), Wink Martindale (TTD)]
Comments: Too bad the Daytime Emmys weren't televised that year, because we missed HISTORY being made! The ceremony's biggest upset! On the other hand, I felt that Sajak was really hitting his stirde this season; something the Academy would finally notice ten years later, but I'm getting ahead of myself here. (Note to a certain poster: Betty DID win! She must have done SOMETHING RIGHT! IT HAPPENED! DEAL WITH IT! PUT UP OR BUTTON YOUR LIP! And next time someone tries to put you in your place, STAY THERE!)

1984.....the year of the 'WHAMMY'

OUTSTANDING GAME SHOW:
(Runners-up: Dream House, Press Your Luck, Sale Of the Century, Wheel of Fortune)
Comments: The competition would've been pretty tight in my book, what with four of the nominees, including the same show the Academy and I agree on again, going on to become fave shows duirng most of the '80s.

My choice: Jim Perry (SOtC)
[Runners-up: Dick Clark ($25kP), Geoff Edwards (Starcade), Bob Eubanks (DH), Alex Trebek (The New Battlestars)]
Comments: There would've been some tight competition here as well; including three 'dark horses:' Geoff, mainly because the show he was doing at the time was on once a week; Eubanks, who was never nominated for asking 'whoopee' questions; and Perry. I went with the latter.

1985.....the year of Vanna

OUTSTANDING GAME SHOW:
My choice: Press Your Luck
(Runners-up: Sale Of the Century, Super Password, The $25.000 Pyramid, Wheel of Fortune)
Comments: Another tight competition, but PYL would've been the one to beat. Mainly because of Michael Larsen 'beating the system' to give us one of the show's most memorable moments.

Their choice: Dick Clark ($25kP)
My choice: tie: Bert Convy (SP) & Peter Tomarken (PYL)
[Runners-up: Dick Clark ($25kP), Jim Lange ($100,000 Name That Tune), Chuck Woolery (Scrabble)]
Comments: Another tie, you ask? Here's why: Convy because he was a great choice to follow in the footsteps of Allen Ludden and Tom Kennedy; and Tomarken because, well, just because! (Note, other than the tie for 'Best Host,' you might say PYL could've swept the awards.)

Next time.....1986.

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--[color=\"aqua\"]the 'Jane Nelson of the Big Board!'[/color]

Winkfan:
And the comparisions just keep on coming!

1986.....the year of the 'Physical Challenge'

OUTSTANDING GAME SHOW:
(Runners-up: Jeopardy, Press Your Luck, The Price Is Right, Scrabble)
Comments: Well, it looks like I'm in agreement with the academy yet again.

Their choice: Dick Clark ($25kP)
My choice: Dick Clark ($25kP) [Runners-up: Peter Marshall (All-Star Blitz), Pat Sajak (Wheel of Fortune), Peter Tomarken (PYL), Alex Trebek (J!)]
Comments: Other than what should have been the 'Battle of the Peters' in this category, I also agree with the Academy on this matter. Dick was definitely at his best this season; and having a '$100,000' version in syndie didn't hurt either!

1987.....the year of 'The Canadian Invasion'

OUTSTANDING GAME SHOW:
My choice: Card Sharks '86 (Runners-up: Jeopardy, Scrabble, The $25,000 Pyramid, Wheel of Fortune)
Comments: The CBS remake of CS proved to be just as good as the 1978-81 NBC version. I felt this honor would have made CS the first game show to have two different versions win the award.

My choice: tie: Dick Clark ($25kP) & Bob Eubanks (CS) [Runners-up: Pat Sajak (WoF), Alex Trebek (J!), Chuck Woolery (Scrabble)]
Comments: I felt that Eubanks was way overdue for the honor this season. Other than The Newlywed Game, CS was his best hosting gig ever! It would have been a CS sweep had it not been for Eubanks' tying with the 'World's Oldest Teen,' who I also thought had another winning year.

1988.....the year of the 'Snack Break'

OUTSTANDING GAME SHOW:
Their choice: The Price is Right
My choice: Jeopardy! (Runners-up: Card Sharks, Sale of the Century, The $25,000 Pyramid, Win, Lose or Draw)
Comments: On the one hand, you had $25kP as a 'sentimental fave,' seeing how it got cancelled earllier this year. However, the 1987-88 season was the best so far for J! I mean, who could forget 'Tournament of Champions' winner Bob Verini's imitation of Julia Child?

My choice: Vicki Lawrence-Schultz (WLoD) [Runners-up: Bob Eubanks (CS), Wink Martindale (High Rollers), Marc Summers (Double Dare), Alex Trebek (J!)]
Comments: Of the three who hosted WLoD, I believe that 'Mama Harper' was the best. I'm still mad at GSN for never showing Vicki's stint hosting this show; we fans could have once again seen why she should gotten the honor this year! (On the other hand, Marc could've caused another 'upset' and taken home the award himself!)

Next time.....1989.

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--[color=\"aqua\"]the 'Jane Nelson of the Big Board!'[/color]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version