Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bill Rafferty  (Read 9671 times)

MitchJoseph2004

Bill Rafferty
« on: July 04, 2003, 11:06:51 AM »
What was Bill's style as a host?
I've never seen any of the shows he hosted.......

Also, what is he up to now? Dead? Alive? Retired? ----- you get the point

Thanks fellas

Mitch

zachhoran

Bill Rafferty
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2003, 11:13:27 AM »
Bill is still alive, and last I saw him was in 1997 hosting a computer information show on Knowledge TV.

Brandon Brooks

Bill Rafferty
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2003, 11:56:20 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jul 4 2003, 10:13 AM\'] Bill is still alive, and last I saw him was in 1997 hosting a computer information show on Knowledge TV. [/quote]
I could've sworn I saw recently on CBS commentating on some type of basketball game.

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: July 04, 2003, 11:56:37 AM by Brandon Brooks »

bricon

Bill Rafferty
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2003, 12:31:12 PM »
I could've sworn I saw recently on CBS commentating on some type of basketball game

That would be Bill *Raftery*, NJ Nets television analyst and former coach at Seton Hall University, during my years there.

Brandon Brooks

Bill Rafferty
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2003, 01:06:46 PM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' date=\'Jul 4 2003, 11:31 AM\']
I could've sworn I saw recently on CBS commentating on some type of basketball game

That would be Bill *Raftery*, NJ Nets television analyst and former coach at Seton Hall University, during my years there. [/quote]
 No, no, no.  That's not him.  I specifically remember Rafferty's face... or I could just be insane.  Can anyone confirm this?

Brandon Brooks

Jimmy Owen

Bill Rafferty
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2003, 01:10:29 PM »
Today is July 4th, not April 1.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Brandon Brooks

Bill Rafferty
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2003, 01:42:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jul 4 2003, 12:10 PM\'] Today is July 4th, not April 1. [/quote]
Yeah, I'm glad you told me that because I don't know how to read a calendar.  Thanks!

And since you want to be such a smart aleck, this is the stuff I've found to confirm my assertion:

Random Site
March Madness

I knew I saw him comment on a college basketball game or two.  It doesn't make my assertion a slam dunk, but I'm convinced he was on CBS.

EDIT:  here's one more.

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: July 04, 2003, 01:53:04 PM by Brandon Brooks »

gsgalaxy82

Bill Rafferty
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2003, 02:07:49 PM »
Bill Rafferty is indeed alive and doing stand up! Here's the link to a news story I found while doing a search:
http://www.examiner.com/ex_files/default.j...ry=X0411COMEDYw

I wouldn't mind seeing him back hosting again!
David

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bill Rafferty
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2003, 02:10:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jul 4 2003, 10:42 AM\'] And since you want to be such a smart aleck, this is the stuff I've found to confirm my assertion:
 [/quote]
 All this proves is that major (and minor) websites are as prone to screwing up Raftery's name as everyone else is. Whoever wrote that article for EA should be shot, tho. Screwing up the name of one of the guys your company hired is simply inexcusable.

Rest assured, and I speak from more than a little authority (working for a CBS station for a number of years and seeing the list of annouincing teams prior to the tournament), that Bill Rafferty has never worked an NCAA Tournament game.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Bill Rafferty
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2003, 02:30:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jul 4 2003, 12:42 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jul 4 2003, 12:10 PM\'] Today is July 4th, not April 1. [/quote]
Yeah, I'm glad you told me that because I don't know how to read a calendar.  Thanks!

And since you want to be such a smart aleck, this is the stuff I've found to confirm my assertion:

Random Site
March Madness

I knew I saw him comment on a college basketball game or two.  It doesn't make my assertion a slam dunk, but I'm convinced he was on CBS.

EDIT:  here's one more.

Brandon Brooks[/quote]
EDIT:  Chris L. beat me to the punch (guess he's a much faster typist).  :)

It is indeed silver-haired CBS/ESPN analyst Bill Raftery that Marquette coach Crean was talking to (Raftery worked the NCAA regionals in Minneapolis for CBS with Verne Lundquist).  Raftery is the one known for such pet phrases as:

\"Send it in!\" (for a slam dunk)
\"Onions\" (for a dagger shot)
\"The kii..sss\" (for using some part of the backboard or rim for the shot to go in)

Here's a link to his bio page on CBS Sportsline:

Bill Raftery Bio

Doug
« Last Edit: July 04, 2003, 02:34:39 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Brandon Brooks

Bill Rafferty
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2003, 02:37:34 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jul 4 2003, 01:30 PM\'] It is indeed silver-haired CBS/ESPN analyst Bill Raftery that Marquette coach Crean was talking to (Raftery worked the NCAA regionals in Minneapolis for CBS with Verne Lundquist).  Raftery is the one known for such pet phrases as:
 [/quote]
 ˇNo más, no más!  I'm wrong as hell.

You know, I haven't seen TJW90 for a long time.  I think I spend Independence Day doing that.

Brandon Brooks

J.R.

Bill Rafferty
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2003, 06:06:37 PM »
I have another question about Rafferty. Why is it, on some sites, that he's refered to as \"Ahmed\" ?

My memories of Rafferty \"CS\" are very poor. What exactly made it diffrent from Eubank's version ?

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

PeterMarshallFan

Bill Rafferty
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2003, 06:16:13 PM »
The biggest difference was the presence of Prize Cards in the front game. If you picked one up and won the game, you won the prize also.

If you wanna nitpick, I don't think Rafferty carried a microphone like Eubanks did.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bill Rafferty
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2003, 07:17:18 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 4 2003, 03:16 PM\'] If you wanna nitpick, I don't think Rafferty carried a microphone like Eubanks did.

[/quote]
 Rafferty did in fact wear a lav mike on Card Sharks in lieu of using a handheld.

[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Jul 4 2003,03:06 PM\']I have another question about Rafferty. Why is it, on some sites, that he's refered to as \"Ahmed\" ?[/quote]

After some research on Google Groups, it appears that the \"Ahmed\" moniker was coined by fellow board member and wrestling fan Jeremy Soria who claimed his accent was comparable to wrestler Ahmed Johnson.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

jalman

Bill Rafferty
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2003, 08:20:36 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 4 2003, 07:17 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 4 2003, 03:16 PM\'] If you wanna nitpick, I don't think Rafferty carried a microphone like Eubanks did.

[/quote]
Rafferty did in fact wear a lav mike on Card Sharks in lieu of using a handheld.

[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Jul 4 2003,03:06 PM\']I have another question about Rafferty. Why is it, on some sites, that he's refered to as "Ahmed" ?[/quote]

After some research on Google Groups, it appears that the "Ahmed" moniker was coined by fellow board member and wrestling fan Jeremy Soria who claimed his accent was comparable to wrestler Ahmed Johnson. [/quote]
 I read somewhere, I think this was in Google Groups, that both had a tendency to sound mushmouthed.  Johnson was noted for his poor mic skills, so I can't fathom an emcee who was just as inarticulate as he.

I only heard one sound clip of Rafferty talking and he doesn't sound that bad.