The Game Show Forum > Game Show Channels & Networks

When did you first hear about GSN?

<< < (3/7) > >>

Chelsea Thrasher:
I'm trying to remember when the WoF/J! ads started (96?)....

I know, the earliest I can think of, is when I just happened to be flipping channels at my Aunt's house during a visit up there in 1995 [I was 9 then] (They had primestar, before it was absorbed by DTV), and I just happened to stumble onto GSN (They were airing an ep of Jeopardy at that point)

I spent 6 years wanting that channel, finally got it in 2001 w/ digital cable, and kept it when we switched to dish network back in Jan

Casey Buck:
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 4 2003, 11:20 AM\']Guy hooked us up, and was testing it, and I immediately told him to try Channel 161.[/quote]
Yikes, Portland and Seattle seem to have the same digital cable channel lineup; GSN is also on Channel 161 here!

Anyways, I seem to remember hearing about GSN while I was looking at a satellite TV brochure (that shows all the channels it has).

My parents briefly had digital cable from January to May of 2000 with GSN, before getting rid of it, because it was too expensive (I still remember watching the old eps of TPiR that GSN used to show, and I also remember the day when Newlywed Game replaced TPiR; boy was I mad!).

Finally, my parents got digital cable again just two weeks ago (my family has since moved into an apartment with expanded basic cable already included, so they only pay an extra 10 bucks a month!), and I've been enjoying every minute of it.

Until two weeks ago, I was probably the only person on this board to have not seen an episode of PYL at all! The only show I watched on USA in the mid-90s was Knight Rider, of all things! If only I would have turned on USA a few hours earlier...

Dan Sadro:
My story is from 1997, when I was young and bored.  I was flipping through the channels, and thought \"What would happen if I go past the 'last' channel?\"

So I hit up.  37A, nothing.  38A, nothing.  39A, nothing.  40A, nothing.  41A, The Price is Right.

How times have changed... that was back when the Playboy Channel was scrambled on 14B... we scrapped the A/B system in 1998, I think, at the same time that the cable operator decided to scrap the Playboy Channel, too.  (Hey, I was 14, this was relevant to me back then).

aaron sica:
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 4 2003, 01:20 PM\']

I can tell you the first day I actually SAW it, though: Sunday morning, September 20th, 1998. Somewhere in the 10:00am hour. My first apartment here in the Seattle area, I knew I'd be getting it, since it was available on the digital cable. Guy hooked us up, and was testing it, and I immediately told him to try Channel 161. And there was Jim Perry and Card Sharks, in all its glory. It was followed by a Jack Barry Joker's Wild. Just wonderful. :) [/quote]
 To expand upon when I got GSN, like Chris did...

As I'd stated earlier, I got DISH Network on Monday, November 5, 1996. As soon as we'd called and ordered our programming, right off to 1-1-6 my fingers went, and showing on GSN was \"Now You See It\" (it was around 6:40 p.m.). It was awesome seeing GSN in real-time in my own home. Equally exciting at the time, was that this was the time GSN was randomly placing TPiR in the schedule. So, some nights I'd tune in expecting to see MG '77 and see either an hour-long or Kennedy TPiR.

TV Favorites:
I don't remember the exact time I first got exposed to GSN, but I do remember that I was on a family vacation.  It was probably some time around 1999-2000.  I remember that every time we were in our hotel room and the TV was free, I'd turn it to GSN to watch Family Feud and Match Game.  I finally got GSN here at my house when Comcast added it to the cable service in February 2001.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version