Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best of the Worst and Why  (Read 16839 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Best of the Worst and Why
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2004, 01:53:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Mar 1 2004, 10:54 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Mar 1 2004, 09:56 PM\'] WORST THEME:  I defy anyone to listen to Monopoly (on one of the CD's) and tell me that something else is worse. [/quote]
All Star Blitz.

Brandon Brooks [/quote]
I'll do you one better: The scatting on "The Better Sex".
Close second: Hollywood Squares [current version].  That was a theme?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 01:54:24 AM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

uncamark

« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2004, 12:39:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Mar 2 2004, 01:53 AM\'][quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Mar 1 2004, 10:54 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Mar 1 2004, 09:56 PM\'] WORST THEME:  I defy anyone to listen to Monopoly (on one of the CD's) and tell me that something else is worse. [/quote]
All Star Blitz.

Brandon Brooks [/quote]
Close second: Hollywood Squares [current version].  That was a theme?[/quote]
Well, it was a top 50 single back in the early 80s.  :)

Actually, I like "Square Biz," but I've always liked Teena Marie--[Chuck Barris] but then again, I like hernia operations. [CB]  :)

Jay Temple

« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2004, 12:29:08 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Mar 2 2004, 12:53 AM\'] [quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Mar 1 2004, 10:54 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Mar 1 2004, 09:56 PM\'] WORST THEME:  I defy anyone to listen to Monopoly (on one of the CD's) and tell me that something else is worse. [/quote]
All Star Blitz.

Brandon Brooks [/quote]
Close second: Hollywood Squares [current version].  That was a theme? [/quote]
 That's why I didn't choose the current version of Pyramid.  It doesn't even rise to the level of being a theme.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

JayC

« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2004, 04:22:31 PM »
THEME- Current Pyramid theme (way too futuristic), Family Challenge theme (sounds like some dumb square dance song)

HOST- Patrick Wayne (zzz), and Rolf (didn't even know the rules)

FORMAT CHANGE- Trivia Trap's new format made the name seem useless

SHOW- Um... Yahtzee I guess, very short lived and boring

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2004, 06:04:11 PM »
Worst theme - tie between Pyramid and TTD 90. Might lean more toward TTD, as Pyramid was just a rhythm track.

worst is a relative thing - I'll pick a few that left a bad taste -

Host - Red Rowe, nighttime Video Village (Narz was just as gabby in the early nighttime shows before it moved to daytime, as it was a new show and there was a lot to explain. But when Rowe took over..oh my God, Red..SHUT UP and move the game along!!!)

Format change: the second incarnation of Play The Percentages really blew. Three On A Match going from matching prizes to pictures on the board was weird.

Show - boy, a lot to choose from - Winning Streak (weak main game, fair bonus - dull, dull, dull), Blankety-Blanks, but big ones that come to mind are $1.98 Beauty Pageant, Three's A Crowd, and The Neighbors for their entertain through humiliation factor.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2004, 07:09:29 PM by The Ol' Guy »

mbclev

« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2004, 10:35:39 AM »
The worst bonus game I've ever seen was the second "Caesar's Challenge" bonus game.  You hardly could tell if the letters were spinning or not, and usually by the time you solved the third word, the 30 seconds were gone.  (They probably should have lengthened the round to 45 seconds.)  From what I possibly read, only one person won this particular end game.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 10:36:19 AM by mbclev »

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2004, 10:43:17 AM »
[quote name=\'mbclev\' date=\'Mar 4 2004, 10:35 AM\'] From what I possibly read, only one person won this particular end game. [/quote]
 Where did you read that?  Because I could've sworn I've personally seen otherwise.

Brandon Brooks

ChuckNet

« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2004, 11:30:14 AM »
Where did you read that? Because I could've sworn I've personally seen otherwise.

Indeed...it was actually two people, and on consecutive shows, since balloons were still strewn across the stage floor the day after the 1st win.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

tommycharles

« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2004, 01:20:29 PM »
Worst game-show-decision-since-greenlighting-Studs: Replacing Louie with Richard Karn. I *used* to watch this if it was on when I was home, and I *used* to laugh a lot at it. Now, it's the only thing that puts me to sleep faster than the Tonight Show.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2004, 01:52:11 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Mar 4 2004, 11:20 AM\'] Worst game-show-decision-since-greenlighting-Studs: Replacing Louie with Richard Karn. [/quote]
 I have a feeling you're going to have a hard time finding people who agree with you on this. :)

Louie was so bad he made Benirshke look viable.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tommycharles

« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2004, 02:37:29 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 4 2004, 01:52 PM\'] [quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Mar 4 2004, 11:20 AM\'] Worst game-show-decision-since-greenlighting-Studs: Replacing Louie with Richard Karn. [/quote]
I have a feeling you're going to have a hard time finding people who agree with you on this. :)

Louie was so bad he made Benirshke look viable. [/quote]
 Yeah...generally anyone who agrees with me on this is about to ask me for money.

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2004, 03:10:56 PM »
Yeah...generally anyone who agrees with me on this is about to ask me for money.

Can you spare a dime? ;)

Seriously, I actually liked Louie, too.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2004, 04:18:25 PM »
Indeed...it was actually two people, and on consecutive shows, since balloons were still strewn across the stage floor the day after the 1st win.

Actually it was three.  It happened about a month after that bonus round was introduced, then on the two consecutive shows about another month after that.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!