Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MGPM "oops" episode  (Read 7810 times)

melman1

MGPM "oops" episode
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2004, 02:13:41 PM »
Well, the "secret" has been revealed, on a site that seems reputable enough.  However, I don't know if I buy his explanation.  What GSN aired, is as shown in the video stream  (above, whewfan claimed that you could see "genitalia" in slo-mo but it's not on my tape from GSN about 2 weeks ago).  Did CBS have the technology in the 70's to "blank" the writing off the bottom part of the blue card, or did GSN do this later?  Or maybe the frames of video that showed the bottom part of the letters was "time compressed" out?  Hmmm.

edited to include link to site: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/matchgame/theater/mw_oops.html
« Last Edit: March 22, 2004, 03:30:36 PM by melman1 »
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

melman1

MGPM "oops" episode
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2004, 12:15:31 PM »
No one has any thoughts on this?
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

tyshaun1

MGPM "oops" episode
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2004, 12:33:09 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Mar 23 2004, 12:15 PM\'] No one has any thoughts on this? [/quote]
 Sure. Big Deal.

Tyshaun

rigsby

MGPM "oops" episode
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2004, 12:41:24 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Mar 21 2004, 01:21 PM\']I meant, re-tape a response or two without changing the scoring.  Isn't that what the infrequent message "Contents of this program, not affecting the outcome of the competition, have been edited" (or words to that effect) meant?[/quote]
Not always possible, either.  I recall an instance on SP in which the contestant was bleeped (including obscuring her mouth, so you couldn't read her lips) while giving a clue for the word "Italian", and the celebrity (Paul Kreppel, if memory serves) got it from that clue.  How would you fix that, other than to do just what NBC did?

And Gene's announcement that time was something to the effect of "A clue that did not meet NBC's standards was removed and the program edited."

Jay Temple

MGPM "oops" episode
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2004, 09:48:46 PM »
That's probably the best balance you're going to strike between showing the game as played and not offending people.  I don't suppose they considered letting Gene say, "a clue which did not meet NBC's standards and rhymed with Faygo."
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

That Don Guy

MGPM "oops" episode
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2004, 09:57:45 PM »
Sometimes NBC can go a little overboard.  An episode of JackPot! once had a riddle removed from the broadcast, and at the end of the show, there was a still shot of the contestants in silhouette (as if the lights in front of them had been turned off) as NBC's voiceover announcer (not the show's announcer, Don Pardo) said, "A riddle and answer were deleted out of respect to Jack Benny".  Had it been any time other than right after his death, I don't think anybody would have particularly noticed.

I still wonder about one Wheel episode on NBC where the entire second segment was "audio only", and it wasn't something that "just happened" as the voiceover announcer knew exactly when the video would be returning...

-- Don

Robert Hutchinson

MGPM "oops" episode
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2004, 09:37:51 AM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Mar 23 2004, 09:57 PM\']I still wonder about one Wheel episode on NBC where the entire second segment was "audio only", and it wasn't something that "just happened" as the voiceover announcer knew exactly when the video would be returning...[/quote]
Could it possibly have been that a not-so-great word was spelled out in a partially revealed puzzle? Something similar happened a couple of weeks ago on the current Wheel. (Pat just made a vague comment about it, though, and it wasn't edited.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

zachhoran

MGPM "oops" episode
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2004, 09:56:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Mar 24 2004, 09:37 AM\'] [quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Mar 23 2004, 09:57 PM\']I still wonder about one Wheel episode on NBC where the entire second segment was "audio only", and it wasn't something that "just happened" as the voiceover announcer knew exactly when the video would be returning...[/quote]
Could it possibly have been that a not-so-great word was spelled out in a partially revealed puzzle? Something similar happened a couple of weeks ago on the current Wheel. (Pat just made a vague comment about it, though, and it wasn't edited.) [/quote]
 It was reported on Usenet that the singular form of the word Marcia Wallace uttered on SP in 1984 was spelled out during one word of the front game of Scrabble a couple of years later. Did CHuck or anyone make a reference to it when it did?

Don Minyard

MGPM "oops" episode
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2004, 10:28:08 AM »
Yes, Zach -- the clue was "sometimes Dolly Parton has a big one" and the answer was appetite.  Lots of laughter when the three magic letters appeared.