Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: when did CBS stop calling it TC  (Read 11041 times)

uncamark

when did CBS stop calling it TC
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2004, 12:40:23 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Mar 16 2004, 11:17 AM\'][quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Mar 16 2004, 06:15 AM\'] I do know that Price was "strong-armed" into using the ID phrase early on, which accounts for the experimentation mentioned earlier in the thread.  I do have to wonder why that ceased, though.  Maybe Goodson said, "Well, we'll just take this show to ABC, then" - a phrase he learned was a nice little leveraging tool on several occasions. [/quote]
Even into the late 1980s, though, the line still found its way into some CBS G/T shows.  The early days of Combs FF and the entire run of NYSI89 did manage to get the line in, however, they sneaked it in at the end of the show rather than at the beginning (following the lead of BLACKOUT, a non-G/T show which had the announcer use the line before telling you who he was--might have been Dean Goss).[/quote]
And on Wolpert's other non-G-T show, "Whew!", Rod never uttered the TV City tag.

For comparison, while "All in the Family" had a voice-over (which I think was Bern Bennett) do the tag over a black screen at the very top of the show until Lear's move to Metromedia, "Maude" never had the TV City tag (but it seems to me that on "Good Times," Ja'net DuBois did say over the credits, "'Good Times' was recorded on tape before a live audience at Television City in Hollywood, baby!").

kurtinrod62

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2004, 03:37:22 PM »
I remember on ''Gambit'', announcer Kenny Williams used to say ''And now from Television City in Hollywood, here's the host of 'Gambit', Wink Martindale.'' And I'm pretty sure CBS ''The Joker's Wild'' also had a Television City spoken credit in its opening as well.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2004, 03:57:15 PM »
Most of the Barry-Enright CBS shows used that line.  When they were syndicated, it was simply "From Hollywood..."
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

SplitSecond

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2004, 04:16:44 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Mar 16 2004, 07:44 AM\'] The notion that Goodson would threaten to take New TPIR to ABC is laughable for several reasons. [/quote]
 Well, that's how your favorite game show, Card Sharks, suddenly found a nice comfy timeslot on the CBS daytime schedule for its 1986 revival.

BrandonFG

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2004, 05:00:07 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Mar 16 2004, 09:44 AM\'] Not so laughable is that Family Feud almost wasn't an ABC show for somewhat similar reasons, and that ABC never got a look at the Puzzlers pilot, but that is grist for another thread. [/quote]
 I'll be waiting for that story. :-)

BTW, do you know anything about the original idea for Feud was to use two teams of three. I remember something from the True Hollywood Story about how they originally wanted to use celebrity/civilian teams or something like that.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

adamjk

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2004, 06:45:52 PM »
Thank goodness they didn't!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2004, 08:52:42 PM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Mar 16 2004, 01:16 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Mar 16 2004, 07:44 AM\'] The notion that Goodson would threaten to take New TPIR to ABC is laughable for several reasons. [/quote]
Well, that's how your favorite game show, Card Sharks, suddenly found a nice comfy timeslot on the CBS daytime schedule for its 1986 revival.[/quote]
By threatening to take New TPIR to ABC? There's a 14-year gap in there, honeybunch.

SplitSecond

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2004, 12:48:50 AM »
I merely speculated that Goodson might have made that threat back in 1972, and then stated that he did on at least one other occasion, that being 1985, when his company was preparing the Card Sharks revival.

An ultimatum can be used in more than one decade, sweetcheeks.

uncamark

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2004, 04:20:14 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Mar 16 2004, 05:00 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Mar 16 2004, 09:44 AM\'] Not so laughable is that Family Feud almost wasn't an ABC show for somewhat similar reasons, and that ABC never got a look at the Puzzlers pilot, but that is grist for another thread. [/quote]
I'll be waiting for that story. :-)

BTW, do you know anything about the original idea for Feud was to use two teams of three. I remember something from the True Hollywood Story about how they originally wanted to use celebrity/civilian teams or something like that.[/quote]
That sounds like that could be "Fast Company," the pilot that originally contained the Fast Money end game that did make it to "Feud."  Am I right?

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2004, 04:30:29 PM »
(but it seems to me that on "Good Times," Ja'net DuBois did say over the credits, "'Good Times' was recorded on tape before a live audience at Television City in Hollywood, baby!")

I don't remember hearing that on the reruns. But John Amos does exclaim "From Television City in Hollywood!" over a black screen at the opening.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2004, 04:58:24 PM »
That sounds like that could be "Fast Company," the pilot that originally contained the Fast Money end game that did make it to "Feud." Am I right?
Wrong. It dealt with the "steal" on FF which I covered in another thread.

Back to the TV City thing: In 1972 G-T was on the comeback trail after the drought of the late '60s when they had no shows on the networks and before they moved to California. In 1972 they had just sold Password to ABC and Goodson was trying to build the company back up. It would not have been an opportune time to start threatening CBS with ultimatums because a) it would have tainted G-T's business relationship with them, and b) because CBS was a prime customer along with NBC. By staying in CBS's good graces G-T was later able to sell or do pilots of Match Game, Celebrity Matchmates, Mindreaders (the CBS pilot), Tattletales, Now You See It and others. In 1972 there was really no point in locking horns and giving ultimatums over a trifle like the Television City line, which is probably why they fumbled around with it for a while.

Now, SplitSecond, dear, can you fill us in on the details of Goodson's 1986 Card Sharks ultimatum? 1986 was the year Barker had Marc Breslow thrown off TPIR so it was a good year for ultimatums.

uncamark

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2004, 05:22:34 PM »
[quote name=\'ilb4ever2000\' date=\'Mar 17 2004, 04:30 PM\']
(but it seems to me that on "Good Times," Ja'net DuBois did say over the credits, "'Good Times' was recorded on tape before a live audience at Television City in Hollywood, baby!")

I don't remember hearing that on the reruns. But John Amos does exclaim "From Television City in Hollywood!" over a black screen at the opening.[/quote]
It now seems to me that it was Isabel Sanford on "The Jeffersons."  Oh well, they're all Norman Lear shows.

scully24

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2004, 07:05:47 PM »
I have a cool memory of Television City:

In 1979, I was a contestant on Whew!, and when we were sent to make-up, Suzanne Somers and Joyce DeWitt were both there to get made up for a taping of Three's Company.  Even though 3's Company was an ABC show, it was apparently shot at CBS at that time.  At that time, the sitcom had just become a big hit, so everybody knew them, but they weren't such big stars that they had become inaccessible yet.  It seems funny now to think of these two TV stars being sent to the same makeup room as a bunch of game show contestants--Suzanne and Joyce weren't doing anything connected with Whew!.

One of the male contestants got so thrilled to meet Suzanne Somers that she applied lipstick and put a lip print on a kleenex and signed it for him.  I thought he was going to faint for joy!

That was a cool era when being on a network game show really made you feel like a celebrity for a day.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2004, 07:48:11 PM »
In 1979, I was a contestant on Whew!

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!! RANDY AMASIA'S BACK FROM THE GRAVE!!!

scully24

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2004, 08:00:48 PM »
RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!! RANDY AMASIA'S BACK FROM THE GRAVE!!!

...which brings up a metaphysical question.  If you do return from the grave, do the game show appearances in your previous life limit your eligibility in the next one?