Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Paul Walter Hauser to star in "Press Your Luck" movie  (Read 2742 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: Paul Walter Hauser to star in "Press Your Luck" movie
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2024, 07:40:21 PM »
Honestly, folks, try to realize that those that actually have made a career in creative pursuits have to reach more than just the Uber core.

Did you just talk down to people for lamenting that things aren't like they once were?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

steveleb

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2024, 02:29:09 PM »
I don’t talk down.  I aspire for folks to be smarter about their fandom.  Apologies if some construe it that way

BrandonFG

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2024, 06:04:53 PM »
This is where I object. Not everyone has the luxury of working in the industry for 40 years so while I strongly disagree with nitpicks over little details, to say someone should be smarter is out of line. That’s the beauty of this forum.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

nowhammies10

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2024, 10:27:27 PM »

PPatters

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2024, 10:32:11 PM »
This is where I object. Not everyone has the luxury of working in the industry for 40 years so while I strongly disagree with nitpicks over little details, to say someone should be smarter is out of line. That’s the beauty of this forum.

And sometimes, working in the industry (present company in this thread NOT excepted) doesn’t mean you really know anything about how Hollywood works.
Patrick

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2024, 02:13:52 AM »
I aspire for folks to be smarter about their fandom.

Speaking as someone who's been on both sides of it, I think it's just as smart for people in the industry to remember that the audience doesn't care what the budget restrictions were, what Q score the host had, etc. etc. etc. If the show's good for the viewers across the country (not just the coasts), they watch. If it's not, they tune out.

And if the only thing one takes from the discussions here is the occasional nitpicking, then perhaps you're only looking to call that out. Sometimes the fun, for me at least, is getting into weeds that are frankly impractical. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I think a lot of that discussion here is aspirational (i.e. "I wish they would [address this specific thing]..."). If I can't bring up those "what ifs" here, then where can I?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2024, 08:42:09 AM »
In fairness, I think there’s a marked difference between “I wish they would refine the Punchboard matrix” versus someone commenting on whether or not a font is 100% accurate in a movie adaptation.

The first invites discussion.  The second (rightfully so, IMO) directs invective towards that individual poster.

I also thought Chris L was being sarcastic, but perhaps I misconstrued his post.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

gamed121683

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2024, 08:53:48 AM »
The way I see it, it's kind of like movies based on books. How many times have you seen a novel based movie that follows the book's plot to the letter? I'm willing to bet it's virtually 0.

rjaguar3

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2024, 06:34:40 PM »
It might be more fruitful to consider such adaptations as artistic license (difficult as it may be for nonfiction material versus fiction).

Nick

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2024, 06:47:46 PM »
Sometimes the fun, for me at least, is getting into weeds that are frankly impractical.

And that is, more or less, the approach from which I made my comment about the nametag font.  If it I didn't couple it with enough he hes or self-deprecating humour to highlight it was something that I happened to notice and remarked about from a, "Yeah, we would be the kind of people to notice such a detail, wouldn't we?" perspective, then I'll remember that the next time I attempt to make a remark in jest.  I think the other comments I have made on the subject at hand in this thread have clearly shown an overall positive attitude towards it and certainly not worthy of the invective I have received.

In fairness, I think there’s a marked difference between “I wish they would refine the Punchboard matrix” versus someone commenting on whether or not a font is 100% accurate in a movie adaptation.

The first invites discussion.  The second (rightfully so, IMO) directs invective towards that individual poster.

And IMO, that's where you're wrong.

Disagreement is one thing.  Invective is another.  The first is a healthy part of discussion.  The second is not.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

snowpeck

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2024, 07:11:58 PM »
And that is, more or less, the approach from which I made my comment about the nametag font.  If it I didn't couple it with enough he hes or self-deprecating humour to highlight it was something that I happened to notice and remarked about from a, "Yeah, we would be the kind of people to notice such a detail, wouldn't we?" perspective, then I'll remember that the next time I attempt to make a remark in jest.  I think the other comments I have made on the subject at hand in this thread have clearly shown an overall positive attitude towards it and certainly not worthy of the invective I have received.

That's the general thing with message boards. It's easy to forget it's just words on a screen with no facial expressions, vocal intonations or inflections, or hand gestures. You have to do other things to make sure the meaning of what you say comes across. (Hmm, could there be a game in that?)
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)