Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Current run LMAD question  (Read 2345 times)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Re: Current run LMAD question
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2024, 08:24:29 PM »
There's actually a discussion to be had here, but it's being clouded by jumping to unsubstantiated conclusions (which is what's prompting the backlash).

The surface-level answer of "Why are the contestants being given hand microphones?" is "Because of the staging." In about 90% of the deals, the contestants are standing on their own ovals while Wayne is standing on the logo at center stage with a shin-high wall separating him from the traders. He is out of arm's length of the contestants. He can't reach them with his microphone without some awkward stretching. (The remainder of the time -- in deals with three contestants and the Big Deal at the end -- Wayne shares the center-stage space with a contestant, but they always stand in separate halves of the big oval, still more than arm's length away.)

Why are the contestants now being given hand microphones this season when in prior seasons with the same staging, they wore lavalier microphones? Because this season, more people were added to the audience, and it's no longer practical to place lavalier microphones on all of the potential traders.*

The question becomes why, even though more people have been added to the audience, the show is still implementing staging procedures inspired by the prior seasons' COVID restrictions. (You'll note that contestants still aren't handed money and that Jonathan is still using the reacher/grabber to return dice to the contestant in dice-rolling games.) The best that fans can do for that question is speculate.

*Last season demonstrated the limit of how many lavalier microphones the show was willing to use. You could see that in each "pod," usually only one of the audience members was wearing a microphone -- the audience member who had a chance of being selected as a contestant. The other person(s) in the pod was/were effectively there for support. Once in a while, Wayne would invite the other person down to join the contestant, at which point they would be given a hand microphone so they could be heard.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2024, 10:11:36 PM »
Do they have boom mics?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2024, 12:00:41 AM »
The question becomes why, even though more people have been added to the audience, the show is still implementing staging procedures inspired by the prior seasons' COVID restrictions. (You'll note that contestants still aren't handed money and that Jonathan is still using the reacher/grabber to return dice to the contestant in dice-rolling games.) The best that fans can do for that question is speculate.
My guess is inertia. They've more or less shot the show this way for 3 years and have the "playbook" ingrained. It makes little sense to overhaul how the show is made just because there were more people, especially if extra time and attention needed to be spent during the off-season on getting Price to Glendale.

How many design choices throughout history have been based on "this was what we did before, so this is what we're doing now?"
This signature is currently under construction.

tvwxman

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2024, 09:14:26 AM »
I'm going to try to steer this convo to a legit q....and heaven forbid - have the same curiousity as Matt.

I have the show in the background while i'm still on TV (4-11am, fox61.com . do join us!), and the look does not look right. Why can't the contesti be next to Wayne, and have him hold a hand mic? The distance is ....odd. You may as well put the contesti behind a podium with a mic attached to it.

Is there a reason? Or just because it just is?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2024, 04:37:36 PM »
Matt, do you understand that this sort of thing makes you sound unhinged or a complete nimrod?

Porque no los dos?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2024, 05:49:42 PM »
My guess is inertia. They've more or less shot the show this way for 3 years and have the "playbook" ingrained. It makes little sense to overhaul how the show is made just because there were more people, especially if extra time and attention needed to be spent during the off-season on getting Price to Glendale.

How many design choices throughout history have been based on "this was what we did before, so this is what we're doing now?"

Also...COVID converted a lot of people into germophobes. I know some people who still, to this day, carry santiizer, don masks and the like.

At the end of the day, if these procedures keep your talent comfortable and healthy enough to mitigate stopdowns, by all means, keep the playbook as is.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2024, 01:09:08 PM »
Also...COVID converted a lot of people into germophobes.

A disease that a significant portion of the country still refuses to acknowledge the impact of that also carries the risk of semi-permanent side effects? Can't imagine why.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2024, 01:21:32 PM »

A disease that a significant portion of the country still refuses to acknowledge the impact of that also carries the risk of semi-permanent side effects? Can't imagine why.

I was waiting for someone else to say it. The pandemic isn't over.

SuperSweeper

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2024, 01:52:28 PM »
Hollywood's COVID protocols ended in early May 2023, IIRC, and I believe LMaD started taping around that time or slightly beforehand. It was probably easier for them to choose this setup as a solution and stick with it for continuity purposes for the entire season.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2024, 12:09:57 AM »

I was waiting for someone else to say it. The pandemic isn't over.
Oh let me be clear- I'm in full agreement with you both. The germophobe comment was meant as fact, not as an insult towards people who choose to maintain their vigilance.

Even past COVID, I'm sure people in the crowd sometimes do things during tape breaks that would make me not want to handle any money I've already handed them.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.