Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Roger auctions Drew's gift iPhone (When was the last time that happened?)  (Read 4312 times)

Otm Shank

Upon getting The Price is Right gig, Drew Carey got the staff iPhones. Which model? It was "The" iPhone, as in there was no reason to number them because a month previous to that there was no such thing as an iPhone.

So Roger Dobkowitz had no need for it, so he never used it. And now he put it up for auction. Sealed in the original box with a story of provenance.

How much did he get for it? ..... yodelee-de-do-de-ah oh-weah la-da-doo-deeah, la-da-doo-deeah.....

https://www.bonhams.com/auction/29359/lot/76/apple-iphone-1-sealed-in-original-box-with-fantastic-provenance-apple-iphone-1-8gb-smartphone-2007-sealed-in-original-box-since-its-production-144-x-88-x-68-mm-5-58-x-3-12-x-2-1116-inches/

I would have linked to the story that I originally saw it in, but since they shifted between Dobkowitz and Dubkowitz, I decided not to. (Everything was essentially copied from the auction listing with no additional reporting anyway.)

SamJ93

Re: Roger auctions Drew's gift iPhone (When was the last time that happened?)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 04:37:52 AM »
I've never seen anyone else (in the game show fandom, anyway) fall in status from "beloved icon" to "despicable ingrate" as far and as quickly as Roger has.
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 09:06:04 AM »
Someone said this further proves how adverse to technology Roger was, but I digress...

By no means is he obligated to accept the gift, and I dunno whether Drew was aware Roger kept the phone sealed for 16 years. But the original iPhone was about $500. If I give you something that expensive and I find out you're keeping it sealed and then sell it, I'd be a little insulted. Of course we don't know their relationship at the time, but it does feel like sour grapes on Roger's part, knowing what we do know.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

cmjb13

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 09:13:48 AM »
If I give you something that expensive and I find out you're keeping it sealed and then sell it, I'd be a little insulted.

Why should you be insulted? The recipient should be able to do anything they want with it…Keep it, destroy it, sell it, etc…

Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2023, 09:33:55 AM »
If I give you something that expensive and I find out you're keeping it sealed and then sell it, I'd be a little insulted.

Why should you be insulted? The recipient should be able to do anything they want with it…Keep it, destroy it, sell it, etc…
You left out the parts where I said a) Roger wasn't obligated to keep the phone, and b) Drew paid $500.

But to answer your question, I just always felt doing something like that is poor form. You keep it for a while then resell, fine. But to me this is like re-gifting, which is also frowned upon - or at the very least considered awkward - by most people.

It's also no secret the two didn't have the greatest professional relationship, which I also alluded to earlier.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2023, 10:59:25 AM »
But to answer your question, I just always felt doing something like that is poor form. You keep it for a while then resell, fine. But to me this is like re-gifting, which is also frowned upon - or at the very least considered awkward - by most people.
See I find it more awkward that Roger kept it rather than re-gifting it. I'm not accusing him of autograph hound-level behavior, but no one in his life would've enjoyed a smart phone?

Considering Drew showed during the strike that he's just Like That and that the origin story of the iPhone is (imo) on par with a new quarterback buying his linemen Rolexes, I don't think we need to feel angry on anyone's behalf.
This signature is currently under construction.

Nick

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2023, 11:17:28 AM »
Someone said this further proves how adverse to technology Roger was, but I digress...

I, for one, welcome Roger's resistance to our new robot overlords.

I dunno whether Drew was aware Roger kept the phone sealed for 16 years.

It sounds as if Roger wasn't aware he kept the phone sealed for 16 years.

But the original iPhone was about $500. If I give you something that expensive and I find out you're keeping it sealed and then sell it, I'd be a little insulted.

Collectors be collectors, and Steve Jobs bred some of the best for his products.  I suppose the reason somebody would fork over the cash for this is the same reason some of us around here fork over cash for old game show props on eBay: People consider it worth that much to oneself (Would an iPhone 1 even work today?), and again, it doesn't read to me that Roger was hanging onto this hoping to score big bucks someday.  It sounds like he threw it in a drawer and forgot about it until he found it again and realized it was worth something (though why he would make a point of saying he moved it from a drawer to a safe is the one part that does scream poor form, I suppose, if you're against holding onto unopened gifts and selling them at a profit on the collectors market.  The length of time it lived in a safe after living in a drawer is a length of time which we do not know to be days, months or years or whatever).

I applaud him.  What's that old saying about one person's trash and another person's treasure?

Also, in other news, the Plinko sign just sold at auction for 770 bucks more than Roger's iPhone.  Makes me wonder if Roger just bought himself the memorabilia of the century for a mere $770.

/Meanwhile, I use a rotary phone at home, which I have made made fully functional through a dumbphone using Bluetooth.  Visitors get a real kick out of it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 11:52:39 AM by Nick »
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2023, 01:52:04 PM »

I’m not buying you something out of the kindness of my heart just so you can crap on my gesture. In fact it makes me less inclined to do nice things for you in the future.

Case in point, there was a period where I was quite financially insecure yet still managed to find ways to get Christmas presents for the family. I was told through the grapevine that one of my family members had been complaining about what I had gotten them. So the next Christmas, I purposely cheaped out on their present  and, although I didn’t say it directly to said person, that I knew they complained and that they should have known that I was only operating within my means, meager as they were. They never complained again.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2023, 01:52:51 PM »
(Would an iPhone 1 even work today?)

I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't, although it would be locked to AT&T's network, so you would have to get them to activate it and I'm guessing they wouldn't want the bother of supporting it, but at the minimum you could use it as an ugly thick low-capacity iPod Touch.

Honestly it would have more collector value remaining sealed in the package, probably.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Joe Mello

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2023, 02:44:05 PM »
at the minimum you could use it as an ugly thick low-capacity iPod Touch.
I mean, would you feel comfortable putting a device that hasn't been supported for 13 years on a mobile or internet network?

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2023, 03:05:43 PM »
at the minimum you could use it as an ugly thick low-capacity iPod Touch.
I mean, would you feel comfortable putting a device that hasn't been supported for 13 years on a mobile or internet network?
So about a decade ago, I applied to drive for Uber. After the interview they gave me an iPhone (I think) 4. But because I have a tendency to drive fast while cops are nearby, Uber didn't bring me on board. However, I forgot to give them their phone back and last year I found it while packing for a move. Dunno where it is now, but I'd love to test it out to see if it works.

/Lyft was more forgiving and hired me
//Might drive to make a little pocket change for the holidays

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2023, 03:07:07 PM »

Extremely fair cop, and actually that's a pretty good question, I wonder where the WiFi encryption tops out on that thing....

ANSWER: BARELY supposed WPA2 encryption. And not even WPA2-AES. Good catch.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 03:20:36 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

whewfan

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2023, 03:49:11 PM »
Okay, so Roger is 5 digits richer for selling an I phone that's 16 years old. What could this new owner do with it to make about as much as Roger made? What are the odds that there's another fan of TPIR and Drew Carey that has that kind of money for a sealed box?

cmjb13

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2023, 04:01:27 PM »
Okay, so Roger is 5 digits richer for selling an I phone that's 16 years old. What could this new owner do with it to make about as much as Roger made? What are the odds that there's another fan of TPIR and Drew Carey that has that kind of money for a sealed box?
Likely the phone sold to an electronic collector that likes to collect equipment in original packaging.

I know some NES sealed games sold for a lot.

I don’t see Roger, Drew, or Price’s history having anything to do with the high sale price.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Joe Mello

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2023, 04:33:22 PM »
ANSWER: BARELY supposed WPA2 encryption. And not even WPA2-AES. Good catch.
I have a Galaxy Stratosphere II (yes wikipedia, it exists) that I use as a travel music player. Outside of maybe occasionally a couple seconds re-synching the clock, it lives in airplane mode or is off.

/If I could mod it, I'd consider doing it
//Or I could just put all this on my S21