Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Updated Schedule?  (Read 7279 times)

Chelsea Thrasher

New Updated Schedule?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2004, 07:13:18 PM »
Uhh, Casey, not to be argumentative, but, if 3-10 to 3-16 was the highest week, then BB   didn't have THAT much to do with it, as the only time it aired in that entire week, was Sunday (And Sunday nights are generally lower rated than other nights anyway).   Also, if BB was such a driving force in ratings, why did the 3/17 to 3/23 ratings dive to normal numbers, as that was the week that Big Bucks was most prominently featured, and was the week of a new season of Whammy, and so forth

What *I'd* be interested to see, is how GSN's morning and afternoon ratings are.   Just to see what REALLY works best in those slots...Anything put in those slots could only fare marginally better at best.    From what I know, To Tell the Truth, during the BWTS block, got a .2 there, and that was considered fairly good for the timeslot, FOR GSN.  Other than that, mornings tend to be a bit blurry.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 07:16:58 PM by Seth Thrasher »

tyshaun1

New Updated Schedule?
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2004, 07:26:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' date=\'Mar 12 2004, 07:13 PM\'] Uhh, Casey, not to be argumentative, but, if 3-10 to 3-16 was the highest week, then BB   didn't have THAT much to do with it, as the only time it aired in that entire week, was Sunday (And Sunday nights are generally lower rated than other nights anyway).   Also, if BB was such a driving force in ratings, why did the 3/17 to 3/23 ratings dive to normal numbers, as that was the week that Big Bucks was most prominently featured, and was the week of a new season of Whammy, and so forth

What *I'd* be interested to see, is how GSN's morning and afternoon ratings are.   Just to see what REALLY works best in those slots...Anything put in those slots could only fare marginally better at best.    From what I know, To Tell the Truth, during the BWTS block, got a .2 there, and that was considered fairly good for the timeslot, FOR GSN.  Other than that, mornings tend to be a bit blurry. [/quote]
Ummm.......actually Seth, The PYL Scandal DID first air on March 16 at 9pm.  It reaired the following night (March 17) after the double episode season premiere of Whammy!, featuring the St. Patrick's Day colors and the Larson reunion.

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 07:27:01 PM by tyshaun1 »

CaseyAbell

New Updated Schedule?
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2004, 11:04:10 AM »
In fact, the Sunday night airing of the Big Bucks documentary got the highest ratings the network ever enjoyed, which was enough to lift the overall week average to its highest point to date. The repeats helped the next week's average as well, which did not "dive" to normal levels. 276K in households was definitely not normal for GSN at the time. In fact, it was the second highest total I could find on the CableWorld site.

Unfortunately the one-time Big Bucks bump didn't last, and GSN's ratings really collapsed by late summer.

I wish I could rustle up some numbers for the upcoming week, just to see how the debuts fare. But the free sources of cable ratings on the web are pretty limited. Lots of sites give the top 15 cable shows for the week, but GSN never makes that list. MediaLifeMagazine gives the average weekly household count for the top 25 ad-supported cablers, but GSN never makes that list, either. Variety does a monthly story about big gainers and losers among cable nets, and GSN has made that story the last two months as a double-digit gainer (from the same month last year). The story usually winds up in the free Yahoo news stash after a couple days. It'll be interesting to see if GSN gains big for March.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 11:05:44 AM by CaseyAbell »

beatlefreak84

New Updated Schedule?
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2004, 11:25:47 AM »
To be honest, I've got mixed reactions about the whole thing.  I certainly don't think that "the new GSN" can be likened to the Apocalypse; however, I also don't see how it will help ratings any.

Why, you ask?  Most people associate GSN with game shows, and, while I do applaud GSN's efforts for trying to expand their programming, these non-traditional games and weird reality shows won't do the trick, I believe.  They will certainly pique people's curiosities for a week or two just to see what the "new GSN" is all about, but the daytime schedule isn't changing that much and I think, unless the blackjack competition is basically edge-of-your-seat like battles like WPT, I can bet (no pun intended!) that it will be no more successful than, say, Lingo.

And, as far as the apocalyptic prophesies go, let me echo the three words said by everybody:  GET A LIFE!  The classic game shows still dominate most of the schedule and there's almost no change from before!  Granted, I don't think we'll see "Double Dare '76" or "Go!" back on the schedule, but we still have many great game shows that we can enjoy, so why not sit back and enjoy what we have?

There's my two cents, and now, off to watch PYL!

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Jimmy Owen

New Updated Schedule?
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2004, 01:23:29 PM »
There's going to be a woman from my area on the Blackjack show and the interesting thing about her is that she is sightless.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

New Updated Schedule?
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2004, 09:09:25 PM »
The centerpoint of this new strategy is GSN at 10, which is built on the premise that there are a lot of people surfing around at that time when the dramas come on the Original 3 networks and news/reruns/first-run action series air on the Fox/mini-net/indie stations.  Since reality shows on the nets, with a few exceptions, generally *don't* play at 10 p.m. , the belief seems that GSN should try to catch the reality fans surfing around at that time.  Similar to Comedy Central's long-time strategy of playing originals at 10 p.m. when the networks don't do sitcoms, which has definitely worked for them.  Can reality work for GSN at 10 p.m.?  If someone liked the blackjack, will they return tomorrow night for "Celeb Mole" and Wednesday for "F-A-D," etc.?  We shall see.

Ian Wallis

New Updated Schedule?
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2004, 09:02:03 AM »
Being a game show fan, I'm a little perturbed at the direction GSN is taking.  However, I watched the first episode of "Blackjack", and it is interesting.  I could see the "channel surfers" hitting this and staying a while.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!