Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hollywood Squares Revival Greenlit by BET  (Read 12187 times)

Stackertosh

Hollywood Squares Revival Greenlit by BET
« on: July 23, 2023, 12:09:22 PM »
According to Buzzer Hollywood Squares will be rebooted on bet under the name Celebrity Squares.

https://www.buzzerblog.com/2023/07/23/hollywood-squares-revival-greenlit-by-bet/

rialtus

Re: Hollywood Squares Revival Greenlit by BET
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2023, 01:48:39 PM »
Paid audience! Woot!

Clay Zambo

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023, 02:30:40 PM »
Paid audience! Woot!

Am I just deeply cynical, or does that equate to "You're gonna be on camera, and conditions are going to SUUUUUCK"?
czambo@mac.com

Stackertosh

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2023, 04:37:08 PM »
I saw this part, so its probably more horsing around then game play.

BET presents CELEBRITY SQUARES, an exciting reimagining of the game show classic Hollywood Squares mixed in with the comedy of Hip Hop Squares.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2023, 10:54:09 PM »
Per my cable listings, this is now going to air on VH1, premiering October 10 after VH1’s simulcast of the BET Hip Hop Awards, followed by eps at 8 and 8:30 Tuesdays thereafter.
@lambertman

Sodboy13

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2023, 11:08:31 PM »
And it appears to be a continuation of Nashville Squares: Random dollar amounts in each square, celebrity contestants, and maybe we'll be able to squeeze a second round into this half-hour.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

ChrisLambert!

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2023, 08:42:23 AM »
We actually did have civilian contestants playing for themselves in the preview ep, so that's a plus! Hopefully that stays.

The random dollar amounts are still weird, and they make the bonuses for winning a round almost superfluous. But I do like DC Young Fly as host - he's kinda mean in the funny way - and they finally have figured out a workable bonus round after three different lousy ones on Hip Hop Squares: Nine two-choice questions in 60 seconds, player adds $200 per correct answer or gets their winnings bumped to $10k if they get seven. I also like the visual of the bonus round being played at the base of the squares (which turn green or to a red X on each answer) while all nine stars look on from the bottom row behind them.

Probably won't watch same night, but I will watch. I won't get many of the questions right, but we watch quiz shows to learn stuff :)
@lambertman

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2023, 08:58:08 AM »
How was the pacing? Did the gimmicks and stunts get interrupted with a little more gameplay? :P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

ChrisLambert!

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2023, 09:04:35 AM »
There was thankfully just the one gimmicky question -guessing which of two opinions was given by the majority of the celebrities.
@lambertman

tvwxman

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2023, 05:58:07 PM »
Just looked at the 30 second clip on the bet website....since this set has been used and reused... how has it that this hasn't been an easy go to remake for CBS primetime?

It ain't your grandparents PMS...(Peter Marshall Squares)....so what? why can't this be an easy way to promote celebrities and their new shows on the Paramount/CBS network?

Set's beautiful, direction is good, format is the same...what am I missing ?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2023, 06:05:35 PM »
All the ready-for-primetime celebs are on the other network?
This signature is currently under construction.

Stackertosh

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2023, 09:58:10 AM »
Just looked at the 30 second clip on the bet website....since this set has been used and reused... how has it that this hasn't been an easy go to remake for CBS primetime?

It ain't your grandparents PMS...(Peter Marshall Squares)....so what? why can't this be an easy way to promote celebrities and their new shows on the Paramount/CBS network?

Hopefully they get get at least two rounds in. I watch the previous version of Nashville and Hiphop squares and they horseplay too much. I turned it off after a while because it was too much going on.

I would love to see a reboot but i don't want to see an hour of Hollywood Squares stretched out.

mmb5

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2023, 07:39:41 PM »
They advertised on SNL last weekend.  Comment in the Reddit SNL group:

"That was for a real show?  That wasn't a fake commercial."
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.