Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Paul Walter Hauser to star in "Press Your Luck" movie  (Read 732 times)

BrandonFG

Re: Paul Walter Hauser to star in "Press Your Luck" movie
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2024, 03:54:35 PM »
I honestly wasn't trying to be condescending, so if that is your interpretation I sincerely apologize. My point is that people try to find things to nitpick instead of just enjoying the movie, and I just don't want us to all go down that rabbit hole.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Nick

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2024, 04:02:07 PM »
I honestly wasn't trying to be condescending, so if that is your interpretation I sincerely apologize. My point is that people try to find things to nitpick instead of just enjoying the movie, and I just don't want us to all go down that rabbit hole.

Fair enough.  Apology accepted, and I agree about avoiding the rabbit hole.  Given that a single still is the only visual we have of this so far, I was merely noting a detail I saw.

While I'm not placing my hopes too high for accuracy to the true story, it's intriguing that, after all the years since the idea of this film was floated, it has moved all the way to post-production (as of this writing, anyway).  I'm interested in seeing the final product.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

snowpeck

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2024, 04:11:12 PM »
My whole takeaway here is that this thing got all the way to post-production with nary a peep anywhere about it. That doesn't seem to happen much in this day and age.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

tyshaun1

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2024, 05:29:36 PM »
My whole takeaway here is that this thing got all the way to post-production with nary a peep anywhere about it. That doesn't seem to happen much in this day and age.
Randy West did mention awhile back that the late Byl Carruthers was working with producers on the Larson story, but yeah, pretty surprising that nothing came out until today, especially since it hasn't found an official distributor.

BrandonFG

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2024, 05:33:55 PM »
Just looked up the original proposed version with Bill Murray. I have no concept of time anymore, but I didn't realize that was almost 24 years ago.

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=116245&page=1
« Last Edit: Today at 01:20:36 AM by JasonA1 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Neumms

« Reply #20 on: Today at 01:03:22 AM »
I’m tickled David Strathairn is in it. So good in Good Night and Good Luck and Eight Men Out. I hoped he’d play Peter, then discovered he’s in his 70s. (Yikes.)

trainman

« Reply #21 on: Today at 02:03:27 AM »
As I said on someone's Facebook post, looking at the cast list, the name that jumped out at me as a possible Tomarken was James Wolk (probably most famous as Bob Benson on "Mad Men"). Johnny Knoxville seems more like he would play Michael Larson's (fictional) best friend who helps him figure out the board pattern and is then sitting in the audience during the show -- something like that.
trainman is a man of trains

bulldog_06

« Reply #22 on: Today at 04:37:26 AM »
This PYL movie has a story here. Considering that this movie will be a drama will be interesting. It has the marks for it. I saw Buzzerblog make a post saying that they don't see how a guy sitting in front of a button getting to $100k isn't interesting. I would love to see how it got there in visualized form. How Larson got real crazy with the idea of going on the show, learning the patterns, how Bobby Edwards didn't trust him, how Bill Caruthers and CBS execs were nervous at how much money he won...plus the idea of him being a "cheater," the stamina that he had during the game when he began to wear down, and the aftermath of how he blew all of his winnings. Crazy as kept, and I'll be crazy here...this could be an Oscar-nominated film.

SamJ93

« Reply #23 on: Today at 07:05:20 AM »
Larson, to me, has always been a character type similar to that of Saul Goodman from Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul--a guy with some redeeming qualities, but who's been taught all the wrong lessons in life and works incredibly hard at all the wrong things. That sort of anti-hero can be compelling in the right storytelling hands, and I'll be interested to see how they pull it off here.

Ed and Jamie, Larson's opponents, are still alive AFAIK; it would be a neat little nod if they gave them non-speaking cameos at some point.
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!