Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Matt O., have you been holding out on us?  (Read 7006 times)

BrandonFG

Matt O., have you been holding out on us?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2004, 03:56:01 PM »
[quote name=\'grimmte\' date=\'Mar 8 2004, 03:43 PM\'] For us idiots, what is the Malcolm Jackpot? [/quote]
During Final Jeopardy, if a board member draws Malcolm (a crude cartoon character from an early-80s pilot w/Trebek), and then explains it to Alex and the audience, he or she "wins" the "jackpot."

Not to be confused with the late civil rights leader or Frankie Muniz's character of the same or similar names . :-P

EDIT: Ahh, I see the other Brandon has explained it as well.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2004, 03:57:04 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2004, 03:59:24 PM »
[quote name=\'grimmte\' date=\'Mar 8 2004, 01:43 PM\'] For us idiots, what is the Malcolm Jackpot? [/quote]
You're new to our game, so it's a fair question.

"Malcolm" is a pilot that Alex Trebek did in the early 80's (no, Zach, it doesn't matter exactly when) that involved him co-hosting with a little white pear-shaped cartoon in a TV monitor, who would also help out with some game duties.

The Malcolm Jackpot is a "collection" that was taken up at ATGS a few years ago, and brought over here, and is paid out to any Jeopardy contestant, who, in the abscence of a correct question to write down for Final Jeopardy (or, hey, if you can answer AND pull it off in 30 seconds, more power to you), instead draws a picture of Malcolm. "Sufficient to make Alex lose his place" was the benchmark at the time, but I'm thinking at this point if he recognizes it as such and points it out on the broadcast, that would be enough of a reaction to cause a payout.

A correction to Mr. Foster-Gray's post: Alex must explain and clarify the drawing ON HIS OWN. Prompting from the contestant is cause for immediate disqualification.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2004, 04:03:22 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mike Tennant

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2004, 04:06:29 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 8 2004, 03:59 PM\']The Malcolm Jackpot is a "collection" that was taken up at ATGS a few years ago, and brought over here, and is paid out to any Jeopardy contestant, who, in the abscence of a correct question to write down for Final Jeopardy, instead draws a picture of Malcolm.[/quote]
On the other hand, much as we would like to see the Malcolm Jackpot won, and much as Matt could probably use that $2.33 to buy a gallon of gas, I think we'd all agree that we'd rather Mr. Swing--er, Ottinger--had the correct question to write down so he could win much more than that.  Besides, as a now offically progressive jackpot, it will be that much more exciting when somebody wins a $3.72 Malcolm Jackpot in the future (not that I'm offering to contribute to bring it up to that).

J.R.

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2004, 04:20:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Mar 8 2004, 03:54 PM\']
Unfortunately, Malcolm didn't sell.  But if you go on Jeopardy, draw a sketch of him during FJ, and have Alex recognize his long lost buddy you would win...

[font=\"Geneva\"]$2.33!!![/font]

Isn't that exciting? (Actually, I would love to see that happen.)

Brandon Brooks[/quote]
(Rummages through pockets)

Hey, I found a dime and a quarter !

So, thats puts the Malcolm Jackpot to...

[font=\"Geneva\"]$2.68!!![/font]

I propose a "Many Moon Come Moonshine" Jackpot. If anyone during Jeopardy! makes a reference at least one of Alex's endless sauced comments during the "HR" finalle and Alex has to explain it, you'll win the jackpot which I'm starting at...

[font=\"Geneva\"]$1.00!!![/font]
-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

clemon79

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2004, 04:33:39 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Mar 8 2004, 02:20 PM\'] I propose a "Many Moon Come Moonshine" Jackpot. If anyone during Jeopardy! makes a reference at least one of Alex's endless sauced comments during the "HR" finalle and Alex has to explain it, you'll win the jackpot which I'm starting at...
 [/quote]
 As a general rule, referring to someone's potential past problems with alcohol is generally thought to be in horribly bad taste.

Referring to someone's poor career choices, on the other hand, that's just show biz. :)

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2004, 04:34:24 PM »
I was gonna pay out the Malcolm Jackpot if anybody drew Malcolm as their FJ! answer, regardless if Alex goes into a long-winded explanation about the show.  But if you guys wanna make it more unlikely, go for it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2004, 04:35:43 PM by hmtriplecrown »

clemon79

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2004, 04:41:03 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Mar 8 2004, 02:34 PM\'] I was gonna pay out the Malcolm Jackpot if anybody drew Malcolm as their FJ! answer, regardless if Alex goes into a long-winded explanation about the show.  But if you guys wanna make it more unlikely, go for it. [/quote]
 I don't want a long-winded explanation, I just want a positive ID. Any idiot can draw a blob, claim it's Malcolm, and collect the jackpot. The point of the whole exercise was to surprise Alex with it, so I think it's only appropriate that he demonstrate recognition of his little buddy as a way to judge the quality of the picture.

I mean, we're asking for a pear-shaped blob, here. You don't have to be Picasso.

<Connery> A pear-shaped blob? Just draw your MOTHER, Trebek! </Connery>

tommycharles

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2004, 11:50:37 PM »
So...is Matt ever going to weigh in on this?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2004, 12:08:56 AM »
Did Matt tape a "Quizbusters" last Wednesday?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Casey Buck

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2004, 12:21:41 AM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Mar 8 2004, 01:34 PM\'] I was gonna pay out the Malcolm Jackpot if anybody drew Malcolm as their FJ! answer, regardless if Alex goes into a long-winded explanation about the show.  But if you guys wanna make it more unlikely, go for it. [/quote]
Mike, you forgot to mention that you'll "...double the jackpot if someone includes a cartoon bubble with 'Remember me, Alex?' inside. Triple if Alex remembers it and mentions the show on camera. Quintuple if Alex goes into a drunken rampage and destroys that player's podium while yelling invectives in French." :)

EDIT: Wait a minute, Chris Dickson pledged $50 to the Malcolm Jackpot, according to this thread.

That means, the Malcolm Jackpot is now up to...

$52.68!!!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 12:32:39 AM by Casey Buck »

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2004, 12:43:29 AM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' date=\'Mar 9 2004, 12:21 AM\'] That means, the Malcolm Jackpot is now up to...

$52.68!!! [/quote]
 Oh, wow... it's building up now!

Brandon Brooks

J.R.

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2004, 12:54:57 AM »
Okay perhaps the "Many Moon Come Moonshine" Jackpot was in bad taste. But, I propose a M'ama Non M'ama Jackpot:

If you draw a Daisy on your monitor during Final J! and Alex has to explain it, you'll win a jackpot which I'm starting at...

$1.98

-Joe R.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 12:59:16 AM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

clemon79

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2004, 01:07:39 AM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Mar 8 2004, 10:54 PM\'] If you draw a Daisy on your monitor during Final J! and Alex has to explain it, you'll win a jackpot which I'm starting at... [/quote]
 If you draw a daisy on your monitor and Alex GETS it, I'll pay you the $1.98 personally.

BrandonFG

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2004, 01:42:01 AM »
Well, while we're talking about Matt O. and jackpots, I remember a "Quizbusters" jackpot from ATGS-I, which was won if Matt ever called a contestant a "goomba" over the air. Is that still in effect? ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

J.R.

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2004, 02:11:46 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 9 2004, 01:07 AM\'] If you draw a daisy on your monitor and Alex GETS it, I'll pay you the $1.98 personally. [/quote]
 Okay, what would happen if I drew Malcolm AND the Daisy AND Alex were to "get" them both ?

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor