Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shows with Co-host/Models?  (Read 2435 times)

Argo

Shows with Co-host/Models?
« on: June 04, 2021, 01:00:44 AM »
For some reason after watching a "car plug" on TTD episode I got a bit curious.

Did any B&E series ever have prize models?

Did/Does one production company use models or co-hosts on stage more than an other?

Do producers style their shows around the use of models / co-hosts, showing off the prizes, vs a single host with slides/ads for the prize plugs?

For example, in 1975 with WoF and C! the air at the same time, yet probably the most entertaining was WoF because of the host/co-host feel. If Jack had someone to play off of I'm sure it would have felt 10 x more exciting. Even Jack Clark had Jerri Fiala to host with. However the size of the audience on Concentration always made it feel extremely low budget to me. Even winning the car, most of the reactions are very subdued (mind you it was a Vega/Chevette so probably warranted).

Has a series ever went from using models, then stopping or vice versa?

SuperMatch93

Re: Shows with Co-host/Models?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 06:47:10 AM »
Has a series ever went from using models, then stopping or vice versa?

Concentration had Paola Diva as a model on the original NBC version, no models when the syndicated version aired, and then brought on Marjorie Goodson for Classic Concentration.

Anyone know if Paola was there from the very beginning? If so, that would count as a B-E show with a model.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Argo

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 10:12:25 AM »
True. I forgot about Classic Concentration.

Also for all the original NBC episodes I've seen on YouTube they use slides and film for prizes. Paola only shows up during Clayton's final good bye. Didn't really know who she was or where she came from lol.

calliaume

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 11:41:53 AM »
Pictionary (the Brian Robbins version) had Felicity, the scorekeeper.

Somebody who's older and with a better memory can correct me, but Paola Diva didn't appear on every episode of Concentration. Honestly, until EOTVGS came out, I'd forgotten that she existed at all. It's possible she wasn't on the show early on; at least there's no photographic evidence.

I'm pretty sure the budget of Narz Concentration didn't allow for a prize model. Honestly, they didn't even really need the car in the studio, although it was a nice touch.

Other notes:

- I just found a picture of Alex Trebek and Linda Kaye Henning on the set of High Rollers. I'd thought the idea that she was a guest roller during the original version might have been a figment of somebody's imagination; guess not.

- Bob Eubanks' autobiography (at least the advance reading copy) said Jane Nelson was originally supposed to co-host The Diamond Head Game, not just be the prize model. Eubanks put the kibosh on that.

- My theory: the Eubanks/Rafferty version of Card Sharks gave much more visibility to Susannah Williams and Lacey Pemberton than the Perry version in response to Vanna White becoming a household name.

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 01:30:56 PM »
Don’t forget Shandi on Lingo with the all-important task of pressing the meaningless “Enter” button on her keyboard to reveal a puzzle.

danderson

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 04:08:15 PM »
True. I forgot about Classic Concentration.

Also for all the original NBC episodes I've seen on YouTube they use slides and film for prizes. Paola only shows up during Clayton's final good bye. Didn't really know who she was or where she came from lol.

Easier just to have Wayne Howell do the copy over slides and film rather than having the prizes on stage. The soap Another World did that for it's billboards too, Bill Wolff reading ad copy over slides and film.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 05:57:11 PM by danderson »

Winkfan

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 05:57:40 PM »
Did any B&E series ever have prize models?

There were the Terry Twins (Arlene and Ardelle) on the original version of Twenty-One. If that does not count, I don't know what does.

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 07:03:15 PM »
Don’t forget Shandi on Lingo with the all-important task of pressing the meaningless “Enter” button on her keyboard to reveal a puzzle.

I say Stacey was the better fitter of that role. Shandi at least seemed like she had a little more to do.

But there’s an example of a show that had one, then didn’t, then did.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 07:27:04 PM »
- Bob Eubanks' autobiography (at least the advance reading copy) said Jane Nelson was originally supposed to co-host The Diamond Head Game, not just be the prize model. Eubanks put the kibosh on that.
Didn't she intro the contestants at one point, though?  I swear it was there that I actually heard her talk.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 07:31:10 PM »
You could also argue GONG when they removed the scoreboard from next to the panel, although whoever introed Chuckie after that (mostly Della, Marlena Clark and Carol Connors--not sure why Sivi left) still presented the trophy and check to the winner.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

narzo

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 07:49:29 PM »
1987 "Lingo", "The Last Word", "Super Pay Cards", and "Love me, love me not" got around Canadian laws by having an (arguably) useless co-host on-screen, so the show can be seen in both countries.  All shows had products/prizes which didn't get "modeled". 

RMF

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2021, 11:43:13 PM »
Somebody who's older and with a better memory can correct me, but Paola Diva didn't appear on every episode of Concentration. Honestly, until EOTVGS came out, I'd forgotten that she existed at all. It's possible she wasn't on the show early on; at least there's no photographic evidence.

The earliest references to Paola Diva in connection to Concentration I've found in the press dates to March 17th of 1965, in connection with a St. Patrick's Day special episodes, while references to her in the Westchester County press from 1962 and 1963 do not indicate a connection with that program- we'd probably need to check the PasB records at the Library of Congress to establish a precise date, but this would seem to confirm that she wasn't on the earliest episodes.

byrd62

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2021, 07:20:32 AM »
And don't forget Love Me, Love Me Not, that mid-1980's game show out of Vancouver, Canada, shown weekdays on USA Network back then.  Host Ross Shafer had a female announcer/co-host.  First, Jane MacDougall, then Marilyn Smith.

Mr. Matté

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2021, 08:42:14 AM »
- My theory: the Eubanks/Rafferty version of Card Sharks gave much more visibility to Susannah Williams and Lacey Pemberton than the Perry version in response to Vanna White becoming a household name.

Looking at some of the 80s pilots, the woman co-host/models definitely became more prominent- see the "On a Roll" twins, "Puzzle Roulette" recently posted here, hell on "The Last Word" the keyboard button pusher was named Janna White.

And don't forget Love Me, Love Me Not, that mid-1980's game show out of Vancouver, Canada, shown weekdays on USA Network back then.
(points upward)

Argo

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2021, 11:43:11 AM »
Looking at some of the 80s pilots, the woman co-host/models definitely became more prominent- see the "On a Roll" twins, "Puzzle Roulette" recently posted here, hell on "The Last Word" the keyboard button pusher was named Janna White.

Booo!. I had to check the pilot to see with my own eyes. I hope her name was actually Jan(n)a White at least, but some how it makes me question. Wasn't a big fan of most of Wink's shows unfortunately (sorry Wink), so never watched much TLW.