The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

More classic Nickelodeon game shows on Paramount+

<< < (6/8) > >>

WhammyPower:
This leaves a small hole yet to be filled... were there any other level 1 fails in season 2 outside of Monsters on the Loose?

jcs290:
Recalling my 10 year old self that obsessed over Nick game shows of the early '90s, the only frustrating things about the show to me were:

No aggressive wagers on the Video Challenges.
Every team picking King of the Monsters first (because it was the easiest game to rack up points)
Too many playings of Battle of the Bands in the Face-Offs.
Mikey never reaching the Goal.

I didn't feel the Video Zone was unfair or poorly balanced, in fact my 10 year old self thought of all the Nickelodeon bonus rounds (DD Obstacle Course, GtP Mega Memory, LotHT Temple Run, etc.) it seemed to have the highest win percentage.

Loogaroo:

--- Quote from: jcs290 on April 10, 2021, 02:13:50 PM ---Mikey never reaching the Goal.
--- End quote ---

IIRC, teams were coached not to send Mikey directly to the goal since there wasn't any real incentive to do so.

I totally hear you on the Video Challenges. Maybe giving the non-gaming teammate 3 seconds to come up with a number to wager was a bad decision - the non-gamer really doesn't have a way of knowing if the challenge is going to be doable or not, nor can they control how the game plays out, and is always going to favor conservative wagers because of it. I also wonder what would've happened if they scored the game in 5/10 point increments instead of 25. Maybe these kids are going to wager 10-15 points no matter how the scoring works so the show should have been more proactive it making the wagers more meaningful.

MSTieScott:
I don't know whether the contestants were coached to avoid it (in the handful of episodes I skimmed a couple of days ago, the older kids seemed to deliberately send Mikey on a serpentine path so they could explore the grid), but there was an advantage to landing on the goal -- your team got to play the question solo, with the other team receiving only half the points if you answered incorrectly.

I'm going to go find an episode of Finders Keepers to watch. When I was a kid, I liked that show, and I've wondered why Nickelodeon never includes it in its retro game show packages. Maybe the game isn't as compelling as young Scott thought it was at the time?

weaklink75:
I think the Video Challenges might have worked better if:

-no wagering, it’s worth 25/50 points depending on the round
-instead of selecting the game, the game is selected at random from the set of 5
-after they’re told the challenge score, the team who landed on the square had the choice to play the game or make the other team play

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version