Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Super Millionaire  (Read 8289 times)

ShoeHorn

Super Millionaire
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2004, 10:35:12 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Feb 20 2004, 10:24 PM\'] The next 9, as reported by ABC's press site:

1. Terry Schnurr, Rochester, NY
2. Laurel Andrews, Pittsfield, MA
3. Brad Boose, Columbus, OH
4 .Janet Orminati, Lakehurst, NJ
5. Doug Ralls, Brentwood, TN
6. Raymon Colbert, Tarzana, CA
7. Ken Wagner, Huntington Beach, CA
8. Christopher Gray, Gainsville, FL
9. Liz Simon, Gaithersburg, MD

The 10th? I dunno where they went...

-Jason [/quote]
 I could have been on that list. Don't know if they'd allow two for Gainesville on one show. Would be nice.

CaseyAbell

Super Millionaire
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2004, 10:49:25 PM »
All right then...just keep in mind that Millionaire suffered from what was called "Middle Age White Guy" syndrome for quite a while. Regis even addressed the issue in one episode.
And one contestant had the perfect reply when Regis asked him to introduce himself: "Well, I'm a white guy."

That squelched the "white male syndrome" comments in their most overt form for a while, though Regis continued to make a big deal over female contestants. Frankly, this all originated with Michael Davies' desire to be more p.c. than thou. The nonsense actually generated some political commentary on the web about affirmative action.

And it also generated endless conspiracy theories about how ABC tinkered with the contestant selection process to, er, tilt things against white males. This stuff may or may not have any foundation, but Davies brought the conspiracy theories on himself.

Wonder if Regis or Davies will even whisper about the subject this time around. My guess is that they'll leave the whole topic severely alone.

EDIT: Just dawned on me that I should "declare an interest" as the British say. Aaron Barnhart once ripped me by name on his web site for questioning him when he got on the "middle-aged white guy syndrome" bandwagon. All I did was write a scrupulously worded e-mail to the guy, but he got really ticked off. Oh well, he was having some health problems at the time which I didn't know about, so his reaction was understandable, I guess.

When I later heard about his health problems, I wrote him what you might call a "sympathy e-mail." He responded with a very kind note, so the hatchet is buried.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 11:13:38 PM by CaseyAbell »

tomobrien

Super Millionaire
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2004, 10:57:37 PM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Feb 20 2004, 06:39 PM\']Second nine:  two women, maybe three -- and only two west of the Mississippi...

Makes me wonder if we're getting different questions out here...[/quote]
From the looks of that list, I'd say 3 women: Laurel, Janet and Liz, with Terry a possible 4th.

trainman

Super Millionaire
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2004, 01:22:30 AM »
[quote name=\'TraderRob\' date=\'Feb 20 2004, 12:34 PM\'] Interesting that all 10 contestants are east of the Mississippi River :-) [/quote]
 They probably tried calling potential West Coast contestants right at 6:00 A.M. Pacific time, and they all were still asleep and missed the phone ringing.
trainman is a man of trains

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Super Millionaire
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2004, 01:38:13 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 20 2004, 05:53 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 20 2004, 04:05 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 20 2004, 04:16 PM\'] 1 woman out of the entire lot? That reminds me of the Oscar Special, when 9 of the 10 were men there as well. [/quote]
And this surprises you, WHY? [/quote]
It just does. [/quote]
 What a grand job of explaining yourself.  And did you really have to mention gender?  Our cackling friend will be chiming in any moment now...
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Super Millionaire
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2004, 02:54:21 AM »
[quote name=\'BrentW\' date=\'Feb 20 2004, 04:13 PM\'] On the very first episode in summer of 1999, Hillary Daw made it to the hot seat and won $16,000, I believe. [/quote]
 You're precisely right. I remember her statement: "I think I know the answer, and I'm very excited about that, but I'm not SURE, so I'll take the money..."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

aaron sica

Super Millionaire
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2004, 08:08:14 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Feb 21 2004, 01:38 AM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 20 2004, 05:53 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 20 2004, 04:05 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 20 2004, 04:16 PM\'] 1 woman out of the entire lot? That reminds me of the Oscar Special, when 9 of the 10 were men there as well. [/quote]
And this surprises you, WHY? [/quote]
It just does. [/quote]
What a grand job of explaining yourself.  And did you really have to mention gender?  Our cackling friend will be chiming in any moment now... [/quote]
 I can almost see the silhouette of the broom from here.....

And, BTW, GSG2000, if you're going to make a point and back it up with "it just does", your point is moot.

gameshowguy2000

Super Millionaire
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2004, 08:05:30 PM »
Oh, you're talking about GSWitch, aren't you?

Well, I think he MAY have a common bond with me: I get upset when a woman leaves with $0, because women are SMARTER than men. And if women are smarter than men, then they wouldn't be leaving empty-handed now, would they?

And speaking of women who've left with nothing on the primetime version, 3 did just that.

And I hope for the next 5 nights, the # of women leaving empty-handed had better, and I mean, better be ZERO! If even one woman leaves empty-handed, I'm gonna scream!

And going back to the point of you guys saying that 9 men and 1 woman surprises me, well it doesn't! Watching a woman leave with $0 definitely surprises me!

PeterMarshallFan

Super Millionaire
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2004, 08:37:13 PM »
Are gameshowguy2000 and GSWitch the same person? Inquiring minds want to know!
:-)

ObGameShow: The day GSN creates a show called "Love Shack" is the day they hit rock bottom [even if it uses the B-52's song from '89 as its theme....] Looking forward to TPiR #6000.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 08:37:39 PM by PeterMarshallFan »

CaseyAbell

Super Millionaire
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2004, 10:14:01 PM »
And I hope for the next 5 nights, the # of women leaving empty-handed had better, and I mean, better be ZERO! If even one woman leaves empty-handed, I'm gonna scream!
In cyberspace nobody can hear you scream.

Nobody cares, either.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Super Millionaire
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2004, 02:26:54 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 21 2004, 08:05 PM\'] Oh, you're talking about GSWitch, aren't you?

Well, I think he MAY have a common bond with me: I get upset when a woman leaves with $0, because women are SMARTER than men. And if women are smarter than men, then they wouldn't be leaving empty-handed now, would they?

And speaking of women who've left with nothing on the primetime version, 3 did just that.

And going back to the point of you guys saying that 9 men and 1 woman surprises me, well it doesn't! Watching a woman leave with $0 definitely surprises me! [/quote]
 No, we were talking about John Fenner.

Women are smarter then men?  Exactly what gender are you?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

vtown7

Super Millionaire
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2004, 09:42:22 AM »
ObGameShow: The day GSN creates a show called "Love Shack" is the day they hit rock bottom [even if it uses the B-52's song from '89 as its theme....]

Wasn't this going to be a show on NBC with Dr. Evil from BB2 to be hosting?

Not that I want to see it!

Cheers,

Ryan :)

PeterMarshallFan

Super Millionaire
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2004, 11:03:36 AM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Feb 22 2004, 10:42 AM\']
ObGameShow: The day GSN creates a show called "Love Shack" is the day they hit rock bottom [even if it uses the B-52's song from '89 as its theme....]

Wasn't this going to be a show on NBC with Dr. Evil from BB2 to be hosting?

Not that I want to see it!

Cheers,

Ryan :) [/quote]
 I think so, now that you mention it... :-)

gameshowguy2000

Super Millionaire
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2004, 01:47:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Feb 22 2004, 01:26 AM\'] Women are smarter then men?  Exactly what gender are you? [/quote]
 I'm male, Dsmith.

And what do you mean, Women AREN'T smarter than men?

Is Winkfan herself smarter than any of us males here on the board?

PeterMarshallFan

Super Millionaire
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2004, 02:15:47 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 22 2004, 02:47 PM\'] [quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Feb 22 2004, 01:26 AM\'] Women are smarter then men?  Exactly what gender are you? [/quote]
I'm male, Dsmith.

And what do you mean, Women AREN'T smarter than men?

Is Winkfan herself smarter than any of us males here on the board? [/quote]
 You're pushing it, gameshowguy2000. I'd advise you to drop the subject now [as well as stop insulting other members] before you end up where General Blitzkreig went.