Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: British game show theme tunes + opening sequences  (Read 3308 times)

dickoon

British game show theme tunes + opening sequences
« on: February 18, 2004, 04:30:11 PM »
In the UK, TV game shows are still often accompanied by elaborate visual opening sequences along with their theme tunes; it's a decreasingly frequent practice these days, but the theory remains that an attractive opening sequence will attract viewers who stick with the rest of the show. (The US practice is that less time spent on the opening sequence means more time for the show itself - and, yes, for adverts.) Nevertheless, as Brig Bother pointed out not so long ago, TV Ark has an excellent repository of British TV game show theme tunes and opening sequences with new additions on a reasonably frequent basis - well worth a look. Don't forget there are three other pages; British game shows go through the alphabet to the Zodiac game, rather than being restricted arbitrarily not to start with G or later. :-)

Obviously you can look to see the sequences from British versions of your US favourite shows if you like; it also helps if you can translate show titles: All Clued Up is the UK version of $1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime, minus the jackpot, Bob's Full House became US Trump Card (and at least three other UK shows), Bullseye isn't Bullseye, Crosswits is "The" Cross-wits, Criss Cross Quiz is Tic Tac Dough, Lucky Ladders is Chain Reaction (and has a very short, US-style open), Play Your Cards Right is Card Sharks and Treasure Hunt isn't Treasure Hunt. (It's Treasure Hunt, instead.) Easy, really.

However, you could probably do with some recommendations as to which unfamiliar shows to download - or, at least, which to do first. Blockbusters is an excellent start for its 1982 retro-futuristic style and glorious theme; Challenge Anneka isn't really a game show but is worth a punt and conveys what sort of a not-game-show it is very well; likewise, 4 ("Four") Square's intro tells you most of what you want to know about the show.

Bob's Full House has a decent theme and conveys the character of the (now sadly late) consumate eponymous quiz host remarkably well; Gambit is glorious; Interceptor is action-packed and has a fantastic theme, with the older Treasure Hunt acting as an excellent little brother; the placement of Odd One Out (with Paul Daniels doing the Dick Dawson wannabe act) next to Play Your Cards Right is amusing; Telly Addicts will mean almost nothing to you and University Challenge has a lovely tune.

Heck, tell me which ones you like! British game show theme tunes are generally not much like US ones after about 1985 or so - perhaps you can date the disparity yourself. (The five versions of 3-2-1 are an interesting museum piece and offer a reflection upon the state of British TV computer graphics over time.)

On top of that, you get to see glimpses of sets and hear British announcers! What more could you want? Apart from $25,000 in cash...

Chief-O

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 04:52:58 PM »
Oh, man, I'm so glad that I know about TV Ark. A few of my favorites:

GOLDEN SHOT: Being American, I don't know what to say, but these openings are probably about as classic as they get.
MASTERTEAM: Although the opening is a little drab, I really like the theme music.
FOUR SQUARE: As a synthesizer nut, I really like the theme music, but the animation was pretty cool as well. And the set.....wow. I don't know if there was anything like that in America at the time!
KRYPTON FACTOR: The opening was pretty much all that is 80's computer graphics and digital video effects.
GAME FOR A LAUGH: Pretty much classic. I don't know if anyone who's seen the show doesn't remember the hosts walking down the audience steps as they get introduced.
ODD ONE OUT: The opening animation was pretty good, for coming off of film. However, the theme is just one that sticks in your head.
.....and it goes like this!!!

DrBear

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 05:45:44 PM »
[quote name=\'dickoon\' date=\'Feb 18 2004, 03:30 PM\'] Challenge Anneka isn't really a game show but is worth a punt and conveys what sort of a not-game-show it is very well;

[/quote]
 For what it's worth, there was a one-off version of that show in the U.S: Challenge America with Erin Brockovich. (The point of both shows was that the star was given a public-service challenge - remake a crack house into a four-star hotel, or something like that - and very little to do it with, so she had to beg, borrow and steal (now, there's a title) to get it done.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

uncamark

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 04:49:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' date=\'Feb 18 2004, 04:52 PM\']GAME FOR A LAUGH: Pretty much classic. I don't know if anyone who's seen the show doesn't remember the hosts walking down the audience steps as they get introduced.[/quote]
The funny thing that just came to me is how close the opening to "Game for a Laugh" is to "Real People" in that Henry/Matthew/Jeremy/Sarah's entrances are very similar to Sarah/Skip/Fred/John/Byron's entrances--just change the newsreel music to that jazzy Big Band music.  (And the "Real People" gang didn't do the leg cross choreography on their stools.)

In looking at that, I came to the realization that what the folks at LWT did with "Game for a Laugh" after buying the "T or C" license from Ralph Edwards was take "T or C" and give it a "Real People" feel.  I even wonder if they tried to get the rights to "Real People" and Schlatter wouldn't sell it to them.

I love TV Ark--thanks to it I can hum the 70s ATV logo music at will, see that WBAL in Baltimore is using the 1999 version of the ITN news theme as their signature and firmly believe that Trish Bertram has the sexiest voice in Christendom--or at least Britain.

ChuckNet

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 06:04:04 PM »
And if you check out the opening to Criss Cross Quiz, you can see it's a near-exact replica of the original TTD's, right down to the orchestra covering Paul Taubman's theme music.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

tommycharles

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 06:25:17 PM »
A couple of thoughts on these: Cross Wits had the least imaginative catchphrase ever. I would really like to see Graham Garden play the game though.

Also - any particular reason they *didn't* actually call the contestants down from the audience on British PiR?

Oh, and my vote for the best open/theme that ISN'T there: Big Break. Both versions were just awesome.

T

DJDustman

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2004, 06:41:07 PM »
I thought the Blockbusters in the UK was pretty good.  The theme music is out standing and the set is awesome.

Is it me, or does Bob Holness look a little like Bill Cullen.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2004, 06:55:39 PM »
So, were bicycles really more of a "star attraction" to early-'80s UK than a 2-door fam'ly cahr would've been?
@lambertman

Chief-O

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2004, 08:47:37 PM »
>> And if you check out the opening to Criss Cross Quiz, you can see it's a near-exact replica of the original TTD's, right down to the orchestra covering Paul Taubman's theme music.
And the set looks just like the original TTD set too.
>> and firmly believe that Trish Bertram has the sexiest voice in Christendom--or at least Britain.
I'd give that title to several vocalists instead, but Trish is close....

Folks, I could go on forever mentioning the treasures this site has. I'm surprised "Runaround" hasn't been mentioned yet,

ObBritishTV: All those old ITV station idents are too cool.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 09:02:21 PM by Chief-O »
.....and it goes like this!!!

Brig Bother

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2004, 05:34:44 AM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Feb 20 2004, 12:25 AM\']
Also - any particular reason they *didn't* actually call the contestants down from the audience on British PiR?
 [/quote]
 They did! Leslie Crowther himself would invite the contestants to come on down, in all the versions made since it's been the trad. announcer's role.

uncamark

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2004, 03:20:57 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Feb 19 2004, 06:04 PM\']And if you check out the opening to Criss Cross Quiz, you can see it's a near-exact replica of the original TTD's, right down to the orchestra covering Paul Taubman's theme music.[/quote]
Not to mention the part of the set behind the host that we see in the clip (the game board with the categories on the rollers at the top of the square, which is how the categories were shuffled before computers--and back in the bad old days, were not done at random, if you know what I mean...)

ChuckNet

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2004, 06:45:52 PM »
Not to mention the part of the set behind the host that we see in the clip (the game board with the categories on the rollers at the top of the square, which is how the categories were shuffled before computers--and back in the bad old days, were not done at random, if you know what I mean...)

Forgot to mention that...it def looked like its US counterpart that aired the same time set-wise, as well.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")