The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Jay Leno- GS Host? "You Bet Your Life..."

<< < (3/11) > >>

KWJCDon:
YBYL is also on Jewish Life TV most weekday afternoons and on Thursday evenings.

Mike Tennant:
Here's the thing I don't get: YBYL, as a game, was nothing. It was only Groucho's banter with the contestants that made it work. Aside from some sporadic reruns, that version has been off the air for 60 years, and neither Hackett's nor Cosby's version is very well-remembered. How much cachet does the name of the show have with the average American under 60? If you want to do a game show that's mostly Leno interviewing people, why not just invent your own and give it a new name? Calling it YBYL only sets Leno up for the inevitable--and probably unflattering--comparisons with Groucho among older viewers while doing little to attract younger viewers.

Chief-O:

--- Quote from: PYLdude on September 09, 2020, 09:22:05 PM ---Wasn’t Groucho’s version being carried on PBS at one point? Or am I thinking of something else?

--- End quote ---

Let's not just count the TV version. Up until the program got retired a couple months ago, Wisconsin Public Radio's "Old Time Radio Drama" regularly included "YBYL" in its lineup. I doubt I was the only young'un listening in to it.

tvwxman:

--- Quote from: Mike Tennant on September 10, 2020, 08:34:09 AM ---Here's the thing I don't get: YBYL, as a game, was nothing. It was only Groucho's banter with the contestants that made it work. Aside from some sporadic reruns, that version has been off the air for 60 years, and neither Hackett's nor Cosby's version is very well-remembered. How much cachet does the name of the show have with the average American under 60? If you want to do a game show that's mostly Leno interviewing people, why not just invent your own and give it a new name? Calling it YBYL only sets Leno up for the inevitable--and probably unflattering--comparisons with Groucho among older viewers while doing little to attract younger viewers.

--- End quote ---
You think about it - how is it different from the current version of the Tonight Show? Jimmy Fallon (badly) interviews celebs, and then other celebs come out and they play a game.

Come to think about it, I'm kinda surprised Jimmy and Higgins' Game of Games hasn't become a spinoff yet.

Stackertosh:
This makes me think of Jay Leno Segment "Jaywalking" i can see him pulling this off well. I miss him on Late Night tv.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version