The Game Show Forum > Game Show Channels & Networks

Barker TPIR coming to Pluto TV 12/1/20 (Confirmed)

<< < (55/61) > >>

Steve Gavazzi:

--- Quote from: Casey Buck on February 08, 2022, 10:00:21 PM ---The Roku Channel just added the Barker Era stream to their live TV guide. Also, IMDB TV recently added the stream to their service.

Interestingly, they play different episodes than the Pluto feed, and has fewer commercials; each episode plays in about 50 minutes. A few days ago, they played some episodes from late 1984/early 1985 that Pluto's stream skipped over.
--- End quote ---

The way I understand it, the internal numbering system accounts for most of those missing episodes, with the exception of the first playing One Away, which usually means Pluto has an upcoming marathon during which they'll be added to the rotation.

What's more interesting to me is that they actually went several weeks beyond where Pluto's most recent loop ended.  I'm sure Pluto will add them in the current loop, but it's a little weird that the whole thing seems so uncoordinated.

Dbacksfan12:
I think they’re showing 1983 episodes on Pluto right now (the guide says S12E5034).  Was there a directing change around this point?  I noticed some interesting experimentation, such as using a framed art card for the “and to the winner goes a supply of” plug…” vs. simply holding the item up.

Kevin Prather:

--- Quote from: Dbacksfan12 on March 01, 2022, 10:14:05 PM ---I think they’re showing 1983 episodes on Pluto right now (the guide says S12E5034).  Was there a directing change around this point?  I noticed some interesting experimentation, such as using a framed art card for the “and to the winner goes a supply of” plug…” vs. simply holding the item up.

--- End quote ---

This is right about the time that the iris started being used in the intro as well. I think Breslow was just playing around with new ideas in 83. Paul Alter didn't take over till 86.

Sodboy13:
1983 seems like a huge transitional year for TPIR from what I've seen. (And this opinion is solely mine, and possibly filtered through the lens of it being the show I remember watching at age 4 or 5.) Plinko's debut that January is probably as good a line of demarcation as any for the show moving from "daytime staple" to "cultural touchstone," but you also can see the set revamp leading up to it. It also seems like as the year wears on, there's a bit more variety to the prizes and the overall production gets cleaner and smoother. You start seeing fancy wipes, occasional shows with two car games and a cash game, and by the time the 83-84 season starts, five-digit car games. Then you get things like the tugboat and the robot, new games with fancier props - it feels like CBS/Goodson suddenly had more money to throw around and put it into the show.

Chelsea Thrasher:
From the looks of the production itself, I feel like 33 might have gotten a newer and more advanced switcher at some point in the back half of season 11. Idle speculating, but Newer and more experimental wipes and effects start to appear in the latter part of the season more consistent with 80s studio production than the 1980-82 "very 70s" production choices, existing shots and effects are clearly getting re-evaluated, and the show overall willingness to change up the look and feel that tends to come in the wake of new stuff - and a desire to stay relevant and modern, especially for Price when it was hitting the age that most other long lasting daytime games tended to fade)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version