Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Portions recreated  (Read 6845 times)

bricon

Portions recreated
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2004, 11:16:08 AM »
I've heard of one other situation where they'll change it. Somewhere I heard that if you sing too much of a song as a clue on Pyramid, they'll have you go back and say the line straight so that they don't have to pay a royalty.

That has happened several times on Squares.  Occasionally the show will try to clear the song, royalty and all, but generally the straight read is used.

One severe instance of recreation from HS was from the Q & A bonus of a few years back.  That one was done several *weeks* after it was originally taped, and was due to a celebrity's shirt not being cleared legally (it had a company name on it).  We had to bring the contestant back, and play the tape several times so she could memorize the answers given, both right and wrong.  Amazingly, we got it on one take, and the audience got a lesson in Re-creation 101 :)

ezbidder

Portions recreated
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2004, 12:21:07 PM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 11:16 AM\']That one was done several *weeks* after it was originally taped...and the audience got a lesson in Re-creation 101 :) [/quote]
Wow, that's amazing.  If it's the celeb's shirt not being cleared, are you saying all the celebs came back for this re-creation, or did the contestant re-create his/her answers using the current group of celebs (instead of the ones he/she originally played with)?  

Thanks everyone for all your memories - it appears this happens quite often.

goongas

Portions recreated
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2004, 01:04:37 PM »
Various Millionaire tapings Regis and Meredith would misread or misprounounce a question.

At a recent Millionaire taping they had to start a contestant all over when his tie was deemed unaceeptable (he had already started chatting with Meredith in the hot seat) because it was a Three Stooges tie (copyright issues probably).

But my favorite pickup has to be when they edited out Merle Glickman shouting at Meredith after she missed her Malaysia question.  After the situation died down and they took Merle away, they taped Meredith saying, we'll be right back.

Also, during a NY WOF Best Friends Week, I saw one member of a team mispronounce a puzzle.  (He mispronounced two in total).  One of them Pat didn't pick up the misprounciation, and they had to do the whole round over.

bricon

Portions recreated
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2004, 01:17:43 PM »
Wow, that's amazing. If it's the celeb's shirt not being cleared, are you saying all the celebs came back for this re-creation, or did the contestant re-create his/her answers using the current group of celebs (instead of the ones he/she originally played with)?

Remember, this was the bonus game where the contestant picked one celebrity to come down and help answer the questions.  The celeb with the questionable T-shirt was Bruce Vilanch, and he was there anyway, as the head writer.  We put eight staffers in the squares, and with the lighting effect, no one could really tell the difference, except for the parents and/or loved ones of the eight said staffers :)

Fedya

Portions recreated
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2004, 02:09:54 PM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 01:17 PM\']
Wow, that's amazing. If it's the celeb's shirt not being cleared, are you saying all the celebs came back for this re-creation, or did the contestant re-create his/her answers using the current group of celebs (instead of the ones he/she originally played with)?

Remember, this was the bonus game where the contestant picked one celebrity to come down and help answer the questions.  The celeb with the questionable T-shirt was Bruce Vilanch, and he was there anyway, as the head writer.  We put eight staffers in the squares, and with the lighting effect, no one could really tell the difference, except for the parents and/or loved ones of the eight said staffers :) [/quote]
 Ah, but did you have to pay the staffers actors' scale for appearing on camera?  :-p
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

tvrandywest

Portions recreated
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2004, 02:34:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 11:09 AM\'] Ah, but did you have to pay the staffers actors' scale for appearing on camera?  :-p [/quote]
 You may have to wait a long time for that answer! Although kudos to Henry, Michael, Steve, Brian, et. al. for hiring UNION actors as stand-ins during rehearsals!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Fedya

Portions recreated
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2004, 02:57:09 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 02:34 PM\'] [quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 11:09 AM\'] Ah, but did you have to pay the staffers actors' scale for appearing on camera?  :-p [/quote]
You may have to wait a long time for that answer! Although kudos to Henry, Michael, Steve, Brian, et. al. for hiring UNION actors as stand-ins during rehearsals!

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]
 Am I missing a joke here?  I guess that's what I get for not being part of the glitterati like you, Randy!  ;-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

tvrandywest

Portions recreated
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2004, 05:31:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 11:57 AM\'] [quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 02:34 PM\'] [quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 11:09 AM\'] Ah, but did you have to pay the staffers actors' scale for appearing on camera?  :-p [/quote]

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]
Am I missing a joke here?  I guess that's what I get for not being part of the glitterati like you, Randy!  ;-) [/quote]
No glitterati intended  ;-)

I don't know how to mealy-mouth it any other way so as not to put anyone involved with producing the show in a bad light - many at HS are valued friends. So I'll just restate my mini-point a whole lot less vaguely:

Silly as it may sound to some, sitting in a square or otherwise appearing on set while a show is rehearsing or taping is technically a union job (stand-in and extra respectively). There are many reasons why non-union staffers are so much easier (no advance scheduling and multiple phone calls) and cheaper (free) to use. And I'd be tempted to do the same as a producer.

But decades from now when the important people at the two corporate giants that run all 1,000 channels are all tired of hearing my voice, when I'm hopefully very old, when I've yelled "Come on Down" a few jillion times and introduced the next 17 people to host "Price" after Mr. Barker, I may be trying to scrounge enough AFTRA covered employment to have some medical insurance.

Some of the union folks who might otherwise sit in those squares for this tiny recreated moment are out of work performers who sometimes are scrounging between jobs to keep food on the table and maintain medical coverage for their familes. And then again, some others who work as extras are embarrassments to the profession.

No, don't start crying for the hungry actors (is that redundant?). And this isn't a telethon ("look at us we're walking, look at us we're talking"). But as the question of compensation for the show's staff members was raised, I felt compelled to respond. Hopefully this won't spark a whole debate about unions and organized workers... that would give us all "labor pains"   ;-p

Randy
tvrandywest.com

P.S. Watch the SAG Awards this weekend. We have a proud heritage going back to when SAG founders, including Jimmy Cagney, said that the dancers in those wonderful Warner Bros. Busby Berkeley musicals deserve to go home after 18 hours of straight work in a day. Even though they were expected back 6 hours later for another day, with no day off for weeks until their scenes were done. They danced and smiled until their feet bled. They were then bandaged and danced again until the blood was visible. Truth.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 05:43:27 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

ChuckNet

Portions recreated
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2004, 05:39:22 PM »
On the 1983 premiere of Dream House, Johnny Gilbert announced during the end credits that because of a technical problem, the Golden Doors reveal had to be re-created.

Also, History IQ ALWAYS opened w/a "re-created" segment...the opening question was actually played before they went on the air so that, on the off-chance it was missed, another question could be asked...Marc explained that the producers wanted each show to start on a "high note", which is why you never saw a player miss the opening question on the actual show.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Fedya

Portions recreated
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2004, 11:01:03 PM »
Apologies, Randy, but since I didn't make myself clear, I'd like to point out for the record that I asked if there was a joke I was missing because of your comment that "You may have to wait a long time for that answer!"

I suppose it could be worse: producers could make all the staffers wait until 60-90 days after the show airs to get paid, just like the contestants.

And for what it's worth, you glitter a heck of a lot more than I do.  :-)

tvrandywest

Portions recreated
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2004, 12:39:53 AM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 08:01 PM\'] And for what it's worth, you glitter a heck of a lot more than I do.  :-) [/quote]
 Merely lingering fallout from Rod's jackets.   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com

Terry K

Portions recreated
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2004, 04:15:35 AM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 01:17 PM\']

Remember, this was the bonus game where the contestant picked one celebrity to come down and help answer the questions.  The celeb with the questionable T-shirt was Bruce Vilanch, and he was there anyway, as the head writer.  We put eight staffers in the squares, and with the lighting effect, no one could really tell the difference, except for the parents and/or loved ones of the eight said staffers :) [/quote]
 Wouldn't these be the same people they used for the mock game at contestant tryouts?

uncamark

Portions recreated
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2004, 12:09:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 04:15 AM\'][quote name=\'bricon\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 01:17 PM\']

Wouldn't these be the same people they used for the mock game at contestant tryouts?[/quote]
It seems that at the contestant interviews, Fern's assistant would play all nine celebs--or so I've read.

And to Brian:  Fern's been with the show all six years, IIRC.  Who else above-the-line besides Tom, Steve and you have been doing this current run of "H2" from the start?

bricon

Portions recreated
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2004, 03:38:22 PM »
It seems that at the contestant interviews, Fern's assistant would play all nine celebs--or so I've read.

That is true.  We call him "Sybil" :)

And to Brian: Fern's been with the show all six years, IIRC. Who else above-the-line besides Tom, Steve and you have been doing this current run of "H2" from the start?

Tom, Steve, myself, Fern, writers Dave Boone and Jon Macks, director Chris Darley and associate director Greg Schowengerdt.  A bunch of lucky mofos:)  Also, most of the studio crew has been there the whole time.  Steve, Fern, Chris, and I go back to day one of development.

cmjb13

Portions recreated
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2004, 05:34:35 PM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 03:38 PM\']

That is true.  We call him "Sybil" :)

And to Brian: Fern's been with the show all six years, IIRC. Who else above-the-line besides Tom, Steve and you have been doing this current run of "H2" from the start?

Tom, Steve, myself, Fern, writers Dave Boone and Jon Macks, director Chris Darley and associate director Greg Schowengerdt.  A bunch of lucky mofos:)  Also, most of the studio crew has been there the whole time.  Steve, Fern, Chris, and I go back to day one of development. [/quote]
As of the last time I was there Nancy and Maryann from Price still work there.

Wayne Getchell worked camera there until I asked him if he still worked on Squares at Price. He said he was cut due to the budget. But he said he was happy because he had weekends off.

I know Hope, who now works on Price, used to work (or still may work) on Squares. That's one interesting character.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 05:36:48 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS