Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Super Millionaire's New Rules Out  (Read 14605 times)

CaseyAbell

Super Millionaire's New Rules Out
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2004, 07:05:13 PM »
Casey, I think you'll find that getting nitpicky with Chris is not a good idea. ;-)
Wasn't getting nitpicky at all, just suggesting how he might handle his differences with the Prof. He's made it obvious he's not interested in discussing issues with Beverly. He just dislikes the Prof and wants to blow off some steam. No harm in that, and no interest for me, either. So...case closed as far as I'm concerned.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 07:31:38 PM by CaseyAbell »

uncamark

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2004, 05:17:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Feb 11 2004, 04:45 PM\']As far as using the 50:50 and the Double Dip on the same question, it's entirely possibly that they'll have a specific rule in place to close that little loophole.  If not, I'm sure they've decided that having the possibility of a guaranteed right answer on the upper level will be good for the show.  In other words, we are definitely not the first people to figure out something like that could happen.[/quote]
The ABC press release Aaron Barnhart posted yesterday at tvbarn.com stated quite clearly that the Double Dip/50-50 lifeline combination could very definitely occur.  They do realize the possibilities.

starcade

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2004, 06:10:11 PM »
3 Wise Men would get yanked on PC grounds.

---

I think the opportunity for the 50-50/DD automatic is going to play into a lot of strategies, but you can bet your last final answer that they will make some evil tier-II's, like the oxygen question yesterday on syndie and the like...

---

And, again, if you think what the Prof does is s**t, DO IT BETTER!!

Could you get that interview with Davies???  You may not care how he does business, but that he's able to do the business in that way means someone in high places thinks he knows what he is talking about...

---

Don Howard:  I think the Prof would factor that into his decision -- he openly regretted the freeze, IIRC.  Let's just say I'm the type of person who will have trouble filling five spots.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2004, 06:41:32 PM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Feb 12 2004, 04:10 PM\'] And, again, if you think what the Prof does is s**t, DO IT BETTER!! [/quote]
 You can yell as loud as you want, it doesn't change the fact that this is a fallacious argument, and I'm not going to bother repeating why.
Could you get that interview with Davies???
If I'd spent years pimping myself as the self-professed "expert" in the field, yes, I could. I've chosen not to do so. I have better things to do with my time, and something called "ethics".
You may not care how he does business, but that he's able to do the business in that way means someone in high places thinks he knows what he is talking about...
And I explained to you why this doesn't mean diddly over squat either, but it appears you're just going to do the broken-record thing, so this isn't worth continuing.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DrJWJustice

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2004, 01:09:36 AM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Feb 11 2004, 08:07 AM\']
I prefer to refer to Beverly as "The Perfessor" rather than legitimizing his position as "The Prof."
Sorry, but I'll call him the Prof if I want to. He's been right on top of the Super Millionaire story, getting an interesting interview with Davies and keeping up with developments on the new version of the game.

You can call him anything you want, and I'll call him anything I want. Fair enough, no?
 [/quote]
 Last I looked, it's a free country, and you can call him what you wish.  I certainly will do so.  No one told you (prior to my post) that you couldn't call him what you want.  I stated my preferences and my reasons for having them.

DrJWJustice

« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2004, 01:16:29 AM »
[quote name=\'massman1\' date=\'Feb 11 2004, 02:50 PM\'] Or another example - on Weakest Link, even if a team answered enough questions correctly without banking to reach the per round maximum, the next person still had to say "Bank", and do so at the proper time  (I saw at least once where at first it was said too soon, but they did then say it at the proper time).  I never saw anybody forget or say it too late, but if, in that case, the next question was asked I'd hate to be that person if they missed it and lost everything (gee, I wonder who'd be voted off?). [/quote]
 Excuse me if someone posted this, and I missed it:

It did happen once -- it was on the TV Mom's special on Anne's version.  They had the $125,000 and the player who had to bank (the mom on Happy Days) didn't call out bank and MISSED HER QUESTION!  She didn't last much longer on the show, as I recall.

DrJWJustice

« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2004, 01:22:14 AM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Feb 11 2004, 12:55 PM\'] Oh God, great point!!!!

Remember, and let's hash this again and again...

50-50 + Double Dip = AUTOMATIC WIN!!!!

You think people paying attention might really be reluctant to pull the trigger on that 50-50 now???  :) [/quote]
 Not automatic win.  Read my post above and Chris Lemon's reply to it.  Theoretically, you're right, but you're probably not going to be in that Hot Seat with all the lights shining on your head and all the cameras capturing your every grimace and twist of the lip.

tommycharles

« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2004, 11:35:43 AM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Feb 13 2004, 01:16 AM\'] [quote name=\'massman1\' date=\'Feb 11 2004, 02:50 PM\'] Or another example - on Weakest Link, even if a team answered enough questions correctly without banking to reach the per round maximum, the next person still had to say "Bank", and do so at the proper time  (I saw at least once where at first it was said too soon, but they did then say it at the proper time).  I never saw anybody forget or say it too late, but if, in that case, the next question was asked I'd hate to be that person if they missed it and lost everything (gee, I wonder who'd be voted off?). [/quote]

It did happen once -- it was on the TV Mom's special on Anne's version.  They had the $125,000 and the player who had to bank (the mom on Happy Days) didn't call out bank and MISSED HER QUESTION!  She didn't last much longer on the show, as I recall. [/quote]
 Ah...thanks Dr.

I mentioned above that it happened, and I was as sure as anything that I saw it, but couldn't remember for the life of me when.

T

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2004, 08:12:25 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Feb 13 2004, 10:35 AM\'] [quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Feb 13 2004, 01:16 AM\'] [quote name=\'massman1\' date=\'Feb 11 2004, 02:50 PM\'] Or another example - on Weakest Link, even if a team answered enough questions correctly without banking to reach the per round maximum, the next person still had to say "Bank", and do so at the proper time  (I saw at least once where at first it was said too soon, but they did then say it at the proper time).  I never saw anybody forget or say it too late, but if, in that case, the next question was asked I'd hate to be that person if they missed it and lost everything (gee, I wonder who'd be voted off?). [/quote]

It did happen once -- it was on the TV Mom's special on Anne's version.  They had the $125,000 and the player who had to bank (the mom on Happy Days) didn't call out bank and MISSED HER QUESTION!  She didn't last much longer on the show, as I recall. [/quote]
Ah...thanks Dr.

I mentioned above that it happened, and I was as sure as anything that I saw it, but couldn't remember for the life of me when.

T [/quote]
 Oh, I remembered that episode. Ooh, that had to hurt.

And actually, it was the $75,000 question that was missed. That mom didn't get the boot until the end of Round 6.

Anyway, on an episode featuring players who made it to the Final Round and lost, the $125,000 target WAS banked in the First Round, but with 2 chains: A $75,000 chain, and a $50,000 chain. The player who banked after the $75,000 question got the boot, because, as the team said, She banked too early, when they could've ran a full chain (8 in a row, banking at the $125,000 level)

Anyway, does anyone have any info on if Enhanced TV will be active for this version?

Starkman

« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2004, 09:37:03 PM »
I like it, only thing that worries me is that the fall is SO great that no one would even try above a million, they just will bomb their lifelines to get the mil then bail, Its just so steep a fall I wouldnt be suprised that no one even attempts a 2.5 Q

DrJWJustice

« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2004, 10:28:11 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 13 2004, 08:12 PM\'] Oh, I remembered that episode. Ooh, that had to hurt.

And actually, it was the $75,000 question that was missed. That mom didn't get the boot until the end of Round 6. [/quote]
 Right -- the chain already had a goodly amount of money in it, but had the player banked, it would have totaled $125,000.  Thanks for the clairification.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2004, 11:09:27 PM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Feb 13 2004, 09:28 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 13 2004, 08:12 PM\'] Oh, I remembered that episode. Ooh, that had to hurt.

And actually, it was the $75,000 question that was missed. That mom didn't get the boot until the end of Round 6. [/quote]
Right -- the chain already had a goodly amount of money in it, but had the player banked, it would have totaled $125,000.  Thanks for the clairification. [/quote]
 Oh, right, I almost forgot:

There was $75,000 already in the bank, until the 2nd go around.

But, unlike the syndie version, I didn't hear the audience going "OHHHH!" in the background, when that mom missed the $75,000 question. (Usually, on the syndie version, when the target question was missed, the audience went "OHHHH!")

If any of you have this episode on tape, check it, and if any of you catch the audience going "OHHHH!" when the $75,000 question was missed let me know.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2004, 09:59:40 PM »
joeraygor2000:
Here's an idea for a twist:

If you choose to use both the 50/50 and "DD" on one question and after it is correctly answered, you are then forced to leave the show right then and there.

Not a very good one.  You leave when you damn well feel like it, or you voluntarily answer a question and get it wrong.  

Another twist idea:

If you don't use either of the 50/50 and "DD" through the first 14, you are not permitted to go for the Jackpot question and you must walk away with *just* $5,000,000.

I can just imagine an epsiode from November 1999:

Regis: So, John, you've correctly answered 14 questions with no help at all, made a mockery of the idea of the lifelines, and won $500,000.  Normally, we'd let you try for the big bucks, but since you didn't need any help, you don't even get a look at the question.

Not a chance in hell that this would fly.

Travis Eberle
Travis L. Eberle

BrentW

« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2004, 11:23:45 PM »
I do agree with the above poster that it won't be a gimme with the 50/50 and the DD.  On the website, it keeps saying that the game will "morph" into something we have never seen.  Unless that just means changing the music and the lifelines, I think it is definitely possibly there are 6 choices, and the 50/50/DD leave you with 3.  

They continually say "morph", so I think all of us assuming that, what's always been will always be, isn't exactly correct...but we'll know in 6 days.  :)

Brent

Gromit

« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2004, 06:30:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Starkman\' date=\'Feb 13 2004, 07:37 PM\'] I like it, only thing that worries me is that the fall is SO great that no one would even try above a million, they just will bomb their lifelines to get the mil then bail, Its just so steep a fall I wouldnt be suprised that no one even attempts a 2.5 Q [/quote]
 Yup, I agree. I'm assuming the question difficulty is going to be ramped up. I think we're going to see a lot of bailing at 50K, with really tough 100K questions. A few folks might get the 100K, use both new lifelines to get the "free guess" for 500K and then walk. There'll probably be one person who gets a million then walks.

The last thing in the world they're worried about is the final question being anti-climactic because of saved up lifelines. It ain't going to get there.