The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

The transition to "Password All-Stars"

<< < (2/3) > >>

Matt Ottinger:

--- Quote from: calliaume on May 18, 2019, 02:18:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: Ian Wallis on May 17, 2019, 07:00:28 PM ---Allen did promote it for at least two to three weeks beforehand, and seemed very excited about the new set and everything that they were going to have. 
--- End quote ---
My memory of 45-year-old episodes isn't super clear, but this squares with what I recall. 
--- End quote ---

I'll add my hazy memory to this agreement.  It's hard to recall specifics, but I don't remember being blindsided by the changes.

BillCullen1:

--- Quote from: calliaume on May 18, 2019, 02:18:12 PM ---(I can imagine someone at Goodson-Todman saying to themselves, "All right, we'll have nothing but celebrities - and we're gonna make it so goddamned complicated no one will understand it!") 
--- End quote ---

They sure succeeded there. There's an episode of the revised format on YouTube, after they ditched the all celeb format. Celebs are Betty White and Vicki Lawrence. There are four contestants for the first part of the game. First two to get three passwords go upstage to play the main game. 50 points wins and you play a bonus with payouts impossible to explain. Allen definitely keeps it moving. At the end, Mark Goodson comes out to make an announcement about Betty.

Adam Nedeff:

--- Quote from: BillCullen1 on May 19, 2019, 11:42:32 AM ---At the end, Mark Goodson comes out to make an announcement about Betty.

--- End quote ---
...She's guest-hosting a week. I'm not sure why you're teasing a 44-year-old episode on YouTube.

Kniwt:

--- Quote from: BillCullen1 on May 19, 2019, 11:42:32 AM ---There's an episode of the revised format on YouTube, after they ditched the all celeb format. Celebs are Betty White and Vicki Lawrence.

--- End quote ---

Here is said episode. (There's another copy of the same episode in much lower quality, but listed with a different airdate.)

snowpeck:

--- Quote from: Adam Nedeff on May 16, 2019, 09:32:13 PM ---then a week just listed as Joyce Bulifant and Loretta Swit (which I strongly suspect had some added wrinkle to it because it's odd that it's buried in the middle of everything else)

--- End quote ---

I managed to find one (only one though) newspaper source that has six celebrities listed for that week: Bulifant, Swit, Richard Dawson, Charles Nelson Reilly, Bill Bixby and Paul Williams: https://www.newspapers.com/clip/31729044/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version