Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Most annoying contestant in TPiR history?  (Read 8018 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Most annoying contestant in TPiR history?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2004, 01:38:40 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 29 2004, 05:48 AM\'] The game should be won more often than it is, at least 90% of the time it should be. Sometimes the Ace or the Ten won't be 100% obvious. I have seen episodes with two or three of the given prices ending in zero, and the card behind one of them is an eight. Then sometimes there'll be a given price that hides a two or three that's less than the product whose price will hide the ace. [/quote]
 In virtually every case of duplicate zeros like you mention, you end up looking at two prices like this:

$23.60      $59.90

Now, come on, you don't have to be Einstein to figure out which one conceals the ten.

(Fact is, this trap is only gonna really come up when a price ends in .95 and they decide to hide the 8 behind it. Which means the last two digits of the listed price are ALWAYS gonna be ".60", and therefore should be easily dismissed, unless you plan to pair it up with the item that ends in .27, which can only have a 3 behind it. But I allow that's Advanced Hit Me strategy.)

The phantom Ace-Two situation you describe comes up even less frequently, and I can see where that could trip some people up, although even when THAT happens, it's paired with a .99 that is so glaringly obvious as to be painful.

But you'll agree that 99.99% of the Hit Me layouts we see on the show should be complete and total gimmes, and the game is allowed to get to the point where the house even DRAWS - much LESS wins - much too often.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2004, 09:39:41 PM »
Even if you pick the "wrong" price ending in 0, proceeding to pick all the remaining products not ending in 0 would still give you 21 (two pairs which each add up to 10, plus the ace). That, too, is more advanced strategy, though.

(It's also the strategy I would use if I were playing. Saving the ace for last, of course, just to see how nervous everyone would get.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

johnnya2k3

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2004, 04:59:16 AM »
The annoying contestants are easily the college students with the customary "BOB RULZ!" T-shirt.

Or better yet, the ones whose t-shirts read "We drove all the way from Bootylicious, Kentucky (or Buttwipe, Alabama, or whatever fake town you can come up with) just to see Bob!"

I guess those helped make TPIR the ultimate buttkissing show on TV (Sorry, Entertainment Tonight, E! News, and Excess Hollywood!).

Jonathan Allen

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2004, 05:14:00 AM »
OK, here's an intresting Hit Me delima between these two prices.

$21.00   $21.90

Which one hides the 10?  Obviously, the one marked $21.90 but $21.00 may look like it's hiding a 10 but in reality it's concealing a 4.

Here's another one:

$3.29  $3.27

Which one is hiding the Ace?  The $3.29 one naturally, but be careful when you see one that says $3.27.  It could look like an Ace there but it ACTUALLY hides a 3.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2004, 12:12:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 03:14 AM\'] OK, here's an intresting Hit Me delima between these two prices.

$21.00   $21.90

Which one hides the 10?  Obviously, the one marked $21.90 but $21.00 may look like it's hiding a 10 but in reality it's concealing a 4.

Here's another one:

$3.29  $3.27

Which one is hiding the Ace?  The $3.29 one naturally, but be careful when you see one that says $3.27.  It could look like an Ace there but it ACTUALLY hides a 3. [/quote]
Notice that even you claim the answer is "obvious" or "natural" in both cases. Not much of a dilemma. And you make my point even further, which is that in the case of them trying to pull the wool over with two similarly-priced products, or two items ending in zero, 99% of the time one of them will not make a sensible price when you drop the zero (who the hell sets at ARP of $2.10?), and therefore that one can be easily dismissed.

The game simply should not be lost by anyone with even the slightest modicum of a clue.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 12:13:53 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2004, 12:45:32 PM »
Another bit of TPIR game-playing annoyingness: Contestants repeatedly looking at the audience for advice during Race Game or especially Bonkers. One can get three or four trips to the prizes and back during Race Game if they don't look at the audience, and two at most when they look at the audience. On Bonkers, a player can get six or seven trips on average during the 30 seconds, if they don't look at the audience several times during the game, as a few recent contestants have done. As Chris L. said recently, NOT starting the guesses in that game with Higher when the given number is 0-4, or lower when the given number is 5-9, isn't great either(given that on about 60% of the playings, the correct combination is of that type).