Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Book signings?  (Read 3675 times)

Mrs. GameShow

Book signings?
« on: January 28, 2004, 07:59:20 PM »
This is just a general question for the board.

1.  Have you been to any game show book signings?
2.  If so, which ones?
3.  If you could have your "dream" game show book signing, who would be there?  
4.  Do you find them fun or boring?  

Mrs. GameShow

ChuckNet

Book signings?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 03:43:16 PM »
1. Have you been to any game show book signings?

Peter Marshall's for "Backstage w/the Original Hollywood Square" in Nov 02, and Chuck Barris's for the re-release of "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" last Jan, both in NYC.

2. If so, which ones?

See above. :-)

3. If you could have your "dream" game show book signing, who would be there?

Bob Barker, Monty Hall, Jim Perry, maybe a few others.

4. Do you find them fun or boring?

Fun...you often get to meet other GS fans, as well as asking the author questions, not to mention photo ops.

Chuck Donegan (The Illlustrious "Chuckie Baby")

MikeK

• Martha!
Book signings?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004, 05:01:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Mrs. GameShow\' date=\'Jan 28 2004, 07:59 PM\'] 1.  Have you been to any game show book signings?
2.  If so, which ones?
3.  If you could have your "dream" game show book signing, who would be there?  
4.  Do you find them fun or boring? [/quote]
 There have been very few game show book signings, just Peter Marshall's book about a year and a half ago and Chuck Barris' Confessions of a Dangerous Mind a year ago.  (1)  No, I wasn't at either of these signings.

(3)  I think a Wostbrock/Ryan/Schwartz signing would be impressive, especially since the three of them could attract their friends and clientele in the GS biz.  It might be tough to top the lineup from the Squares signing in LA but if anybody could do it, it would be Misters Wostbrock, Schwartz, and Ryan.

(4)  Having been to several book signings, I say they're a ball, even if you have to wait in line an hour or longer.  I've been to book signings with Alton Brown, Jim Davis, Chris Matthews, Cristina Ferrare, Les Roberts (yes, the HS producer from the 60s), and others.  Every time, it's been a ball since you get to meet the author for a few moments, an autograph, and they'll occasionally let you take a picture with them.

Matt Ottinger

Book signings?
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004, 05:16:19 PM »
There was a dream-team gathering of game show hosts and announcers (including our own Mr. West) for a book signing when the EOTVGS2 came out.  David Hammett (and isn't it good to have David back in our midst?) got me an autographed copy at the time, but I don't have it handy to tell you all the names that were there.  Some big ones, though!

In the meantime, Mr Wostbrock and Mr Ryan have their game show fact book coming out later this year, maybe there will be a signing associated with that one.  Toward that end, knowing that both men are aware of our forum, our members might want to think carefully about suggestions as to which living legends we might like to see at such a signing.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 05:17:52 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Book signings?
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 05:22:37 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Jan 29 2004, 03:01 PM\'] I've been to book signings with Alton Brown, [/quote]
 Not to veer off topic, but meeting Alton was the absolute bizzomb. He's every bit as nice of a guy as you would expect, and he took time out to talk a bit and find out something about every single person who came through the line. I should check the site and see if he's coming up this way again anytime soon...

ObGameShow: Alton did a spoof of Millionaire about making a Waldorf salad on the "Good Eats" episode entitled "Apple Family Values".
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MikeK

• Martha!
Book signings?
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 05:36:11 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 29 2004, 05:22 PM\'] [quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Jan 29 2004, 03:01 PM\'] I've been to book signings with Alton Brown, [/quote]
Not to veer off topic, but meeting Alton was the absolute bizzomb. He's every bit as nice of a guy as you would expect, and he took time out to talk a bit and find out something about every single person who came through the line. I should check the site and see if he's coming up this way again anytime soon...

ObGameShow: Alton did a spoof of Millionaire about making a Waldorf salad on the "Good Eats" episode entitled "Apple Family Values". [/quote]
 Agreed 110%.  I was hesitant to attend the Brown book signing since I really didn't want to spend $35 on his book.  In the end, I bought 2 books, one for myself and one as a Father's Day present to my dad, who's a big Good Eats fan.  Brown's signing here was supposed to end around 8 PM.  Brown vowed he'd stay as long as possible to sign for everybody.  We could use more Alton Browns in the world.

A more traditional Brown ObGS:  Brown was a celebrity during Pyramid's Food Network week, which is rerunning this week.

tvrandywest

Book signings?
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2004, 05:42:14 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Jan 29 2004, 02:01 PM\'] I think a Wostbrock/Ryan/Schwartz signing would be impressive, especially since the three of them could attract their friends and clientele in the GS biz.  It might be tough to top the lineup from the Squares signing in LA but if anybody could do it, it would be Misters Wostbrock, Schwartz, and Ryan. [/quote]
 And they did! The signing for the last edition of the EOTVGS was held at Barnes and Noble in Encino, and had a bevy of celebs/personalities, most seated along a row of tables that the fans walked along to get signatures, ask questions, shake hands, drool, etc..

Working from memory, without pulling out the photos, I remember Peter Marshall, Geoff Edwards, Alex Trebek, Janice Pennington, and Gary Owens. I was honored to sit next to Charlie O, between Gene Wood and Ron Maestri. There were plenty more that I don't remember; I'm almost certain Monty and Rod were there as well.

BTW, Wink had a cool signing at Bookstar in Studio City for "Winking at Life". Great turnout including a fan who had scrapbooks of pictures back to the 60s. Wink enjoyed sharing the memories they triggered.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Jimmy Owen

Book signings?
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2004, 07:13:31 PM »
Have Joe Garagiola, Vin Scully and Dick Enberg  there, and you might have a full house.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Book signings?
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2004, 07:49:07 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jan 29 2004, 03:42 PM\'] I was honored to sit next to Charlie O, between Gene Wood and Ron Maestri. [/quote]
 Ron was available, huh? ;)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

calliaume

Book signings?
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2004, 09:56:20 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Jan 29 2004, 05:01 PM\'] (4)  Having been to several book signings, I say they're a ball, even if you have to wait in line an hour or longer.  I've been to book signings with Alton Brown, Jim Davis, Chris Matthews, Cristina Ferrare, Les Roberts (yes, the HS producer from the 60s), and others.  Every time, it's been a ball since you get to meet the author for a few moments, an autograph, and they'll occasionally let you take a picture with them. [/quote]
 Believe it or not, I have not been to any official book signings (although I've walked through stores while they've been going on).  It's a lot easier just to have the author sign the book in your office.

To be honest, for smaller books it's tough to get a signing organized.  Book stores don't want to go through all the work unless it'll generate traffic.  And if it doesn't -- it's a waste of time and money for the store, and a little embarrassing for the author(s).

Don't send your book out to the publisher or author, because you may never get it back.  However, if you send a card or something to the publisher to be signed, you could use it as a bookplate (paste into the inside front cover of a hardcover).

joshg

Book signings?
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2004, 11:32:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Mrs. GameShow\' date=\'Jan 28 2004, 04:59 PM\']1.  Have you been to any game show book signings?
2.  If so, which ones?
3.  If you could have your "dream" game show book signing, who would be there? 
4.  Do you find them fun or boring? 
[/quote]
1. & 2.  Yes, two signings: Peter Marshall's book at Bookstar in Studio City and Chuck Barris' book in Santa Monica

3. Any signing of any game show book is a 'dream' signing... especially when you have anyone and everyone that worked on a game at one time there. I turned my 3rd EOTVGS into an autograph book and it got a head start that night.

4. How could they be boring? I had a blast in Studio City because we all hung out at the bookstore for hours.
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

Mrs. GameShow

Book signings?
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2004, 02:04:13 PM »
Yes, Peter Marshall's book signing was a lot of fun.  It also had a great turn out!