Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Here Comes Candy Crush!  (Read 8744 times)

TimK2003

Re: Here Comes Candy Crush!
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 11:09:49 AM »
And after that first episode...I'll stick with "American Grit", thank you very much.

Candy Crush, Celebrity Family Feud, the Gong Show and Love Connection reboots, Beat Shazam...boy, Studio 36/46 at CBS Television City has been quite the Hollywood hot spot lately!

At least all those studio rentals will help recoup some of CBS's likely losses from their Candy Crush investment. 

/ I preferred watching the Indians collapse against the Tigers last night over CC.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 11:29:16 AM »
/But, I wouldn't be surprised if QuizUp follows suit.
QuizUp did follow suit with a pilot for NBC. I was part of it. It was okay.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 11:38:04 AM »
Candy Crush, Celebrity Family Feud, the Gong Show and Love Connection reboots, Beat Shazam...boy, Studio 36/46 at CBS Television City has been quite the Hollywood hot spot lately!

"Look at me, everybody, I know where all of these shows tape!"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 12:37:02 PM »
"Look at me, everybody, I know where all of these shows tape!"
Or can operate a web browser.

/that doesn't make the comment any less fatuous or him any less tedious.
//watched the show on 30 second skip. It wasn't as horrible as you'd think, but it wasn't great. Cotton candy TV personified.
Travis L. Eberle

Clay Zambo

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 12:06:33 AM »
Well, I made it all the way through, giggling at some of the "physical challenges" and eye-rolling at plenty of the over-the-top host language. And, you know what? I'm not the target audience for this. I think who *is* is somebody who wanted to be on DOUBLE DARE as a kid and never got the chance, and who now plays Crush games on his/her phone.

Sure, there's no playalong value; but there wasn't any in the Summers obstacle course, either. Or on any given episode of BEAT THE CLOCK.

It's silly, is what it is. Somebody had a massive production budget and spent every penny of it. And I'm fine with that. And I'll watch next week, when a friend and her son are civilian contestants, but I don't expect I'll go back after that.

Oh? And one more thing. Halfway through the episode, my wife said, "You know what this makes me want to do?" She picked up her phone. "Play Candy Crush."
czambo@mac.com

beatlefreak84

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 01:13:52 AM »
Earlier this year, I received an e-mail from a contestant coordinator looking for teams to audition for the show.  I asked my wife if she was interested, and she said no because she wasn't very good at Candy Crush.  I then responded, "Do you think they would just make a show of people playing Candy Crush?  That would be really dull.  It will probably have a loose connection, like the game show Scrabble."

Imagine my surprise when I put it on...and saw a show of people playing Candy Crush.  Our main issue with it was that the physical challenges are not evenly balanced to the point where, if they don't vary them from show to show, it will be obvious what each team will pick (or get stuck with) for their challenge.  I seriously don't see this show surviving the summer, but I will give it credit:  it actually motivated me to start playing Candy Crush again after almost two years.  Maybe that was the point.

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

BillCullen1

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2017, 08:33:18 AM »
Well, I made it all the way through, giggling at some of the "physical challenges" and eye-rolling at plenty of the over-the-top host language. And, you know what? I'm not the target audience for this. I think who *is* is somebody who wanted to be on DOUBLE DARE as a kid and never got the chance, and who now plays Crush games on his/her phone.

It's silly, is what it is. Somebody had a massive production budget and spent every penny of it. And I'm fine with that. And I'll watch next week, when a friend and her son are civilian contestants, but I don't expect I'll go back after that. 

Clay has summed up my feelings about this. This first episode had former Survivor and Big Brother players. It was guaranteed that one team would win $100K. I wonder if that will be the case when ordinary civilians play. Oh, and the caffeine level was WAAAAY over the top.

Neumms

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2017, 03:27:39 PM »
Do you think they would just make a show of people playing Candy Crush?  That would be really dull.  It will probably have a loose connection, like the game show Scrabble.

My thought, too. If anyone fell off the giant wall into a pool of goo, that may have been funny in a Wipeout sort of way. Especially if it were a Big Brother contestant and there was no pool, just a cement floor.

colonial

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 09:26:14 AM »
Caught the first 10-15 minutes of "Candy Crush". Like most of the posters, I didn't care for it. No play-along factor, over-caffeinated contestants, etc.

When I got to work Monday morning, I overheard a few co-workers talking about the show. One comment caught my ear ...

"Candy Crush, the TV show, is the end result of trying to introduce e-sports to your grandma."

E-sports is a growing market. TBS airs a popular "E-League" show, Deadspin has a decent percentage of article devoted to the e-sports field. ESPN appears to be going all-in with e-sports on its website, with a section solely devoted to e-sports. It's captured the interest of the younger demographic that's moved away from traditional TV.

It makes sense for a major network to capitalize on the e-sports phenomena, especially in a lower-risk summer timeslot. But there's no way in heck you can sell, say, "League of Legends" or "Overwatch" to the masses. So you turn to a popular app that the whole family can play, and try to present it on-air in similar fashion to an e-sports event. And it fell flat on its face.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 11:32:26 AM »
E-sports is simply co-opting the milieu of sports and applying it to something non-athletic. E-League is a great example because the first time I watched their pregame stuff, it felt like a club football show but with different jargon.

It sounds like Candy Crush needed to be much more game show-y in order to succeed

/ the lack of televised Rocket League gives me a sad
This signature is currently under construction.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2017, 11:49:53 AM »
It sounds like Candy Crush needed to be much more game show-y in order to succeed
How unsuccessful was it? Are they pulling the remaining episodes?
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2017, 12:31:51 PM »

I thought I read there was going to be soon.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

johnnya2k3

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2017, 10:13:19 PM »
Ratingswise...Candy Crush was the week's #8 show in the 18-49 demo with a 1.1 and 1.375 million viewers; that's the good news.

The bad news? It failed to crack the Top 25 among total households (I think the Amelia Earhart documentary garnered more interest than Candy Crush).

TimK2003

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2017, 11:03:35 PM »
Ratingswise...Candy Crush was the week's #8 show in the 18-49 demo with a 1.1 and 1.375 million viewers.

Insulting that Pyramid is losing potentially better ratings because of the Funderdome lead-in.  More insulting that Funderdome still finishes better than Pyramid.

/ And damn you calliaume for naming this thread Here Comes Candy Crush!
// I keep thinking of "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" every time I read this thread.
/// Then again, CC (the show) is just as annoying as HCHBB.
//// calliaume, you are a genius!!!

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2017, 01:39:24 AM »

Ummm...
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."