Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Canadian Millionaire home game questions  (Read 1838 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Canadian Millionaire home game questions
« on: March 01, 2017, 01:15:19 PM »
This weekend, I bought a home game of Who Wants to be a Millionaire? at an antiques mall.  It was made by Irwin games and it appears to be an English-language Canadian release (half of the logo and half of the box bottom's description are in French), but I can't find a thing about it, even images.

For our Canadian friends, was it relatively easy to find in stores 15-18 years ago and is it common to find in thrift stores nowadays, like the U.S. game?, i.e. Is it common or on the somewhat hard-to-find side?  Are the questions lifted from the U.S. game?  (I'd compare, but my only U.S. box game is sealed and I don't want to open it.)  I'm in it for $8 and, if nothing else, it makes an interesting addition to the collection, my first truly Canadian home game.

As an aside, the same antiques mall had a copy of Take it or Leave it (The $64 Question) for $20.  I passed on that, since the innards of the game were the board, a single thin rules and Q&A booklet, and some play money.  It felt like quite a bit was missing.

Matt Ottinger

Re: Canadian Millionaire home game questions
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 03:55:14 PM »
As an aside, the same antiques mall had a copy of Take it or Leave it (The $64 Question) for $20.  I passed on that, since the innards of the game were the board, a single thin rules and Q&A booklet, and some play money.  It felt like quite a bit was missing.

I'd have to check, but I kinda don't think so.  As long as the board had its spinner, that sounds pretty much like everything.

Canadian Millionaire sounds cool.  Offhand, I think I only have two Canadian games, Definition and A Kin To Win.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TimK2003

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 06:03:30 PM »
I still kick myself when Talk About was readily available.at the big box stores when it first came out and I never thought of getting a copy.  A Canadian game show home game that looked like a pretty solid game in the box as far as contents went. 

The Ol' Guy

nowhammies10

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 11:13:53 AM »
Millionaire is fairly common here (Toronto).  I remember seeing the U.S. edition in stores originally, then Irwin brought out the Canadian edition which removed references to ABC on the cover and added French to comply with the Languages Act.  The contents were identical, AFAIK.