Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Happy 20th to Hot Potato!  (Read 7008 times)

aaron sica

Happy 20th to Hot Potato!
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2004, 10:28:19 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 26 2004, 02:05 AM\'] In Bob's defense, the name of the game USED TO BE "Punchboard", but apparently a redesign of the board eliminated the row that spelled out the game's name. (Yes, I realize it always said "Punch-A-Bunch" across the top.) And fer God's sake, WE know what the game is, if he wants to call it "The P.X. Anus Sneermonger Game", does it really matter? [/quote]
 Apparently my attempts at sarcasm fell sadly short. :)

I, too, couldn't give two squats what Bob calls the game; I was just trying to show how ridiculous it was to gripe over the way Bill Cullen addressed answers on HP.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2004, 11:24:52 AM »
Would you say HP is the longest running 20 week (or so) series ever?  A year on CBN, three on USA and a year or so on GSN.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2004, 11:55:38 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 26 2004, 11:24 AM\'] Would you say HP is the longest running 20 week (or so) series ever?  A year on CBN, three on USA and a year or so on GSN. [/quote]
 Heck no, PYL had more rerun years than HP did. HP's rerun life was six or so years(1 year on CBN, about 3 years combined in two runs on USA, and 18 months or so on GSN reruns in two runs). PYL had a year of syndie reruns, eight years of USA reruns, and almost 2.5 years on GSN.

Don Howard

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2004, 11:57:02 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 26 2004, 11:55 AM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 26 2004, 11:24 AM\'] Would you say HP is the longest running 20 week (or so) series ever?  A year on CBN, three on USA and a year or so on GSN. [/quote]
Heck no, PYL had more rerun years than HP did. HP's rerun life was six or so years(1 year on CBN, about 3 years combined in two runs on USA, and 18 months or so on GSN reruns in two runs). PYL had a year of syndie reruns, eight years of USA reruns, and almost 2.5 years on GSN. [/quote]
But Press Your Luck ran for three years in its original run--considerably longer than the 20 weeks for Hot Potato. Hence, Jimmy's question.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 11:57:31 AM by Don Howard »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2004, 11:58:22 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jan 26 2004, 08:28 AM\'] Apparently my attempts at sarcasm fell sadly short. :)
 [/quote]
Only because it hit too close to home. We DO have people around here who DO bitch about that precise issue. :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 11:58:53 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2004, 12:18:56 PM »
As to B&E's speed in ripping off formats - I sent Dan a tape of a cable show to review called HOLD ON!, a Bible quiz where two teams take turns assigning question categories to each other, hoping to find just the right questions that will knock down members of the other team. You score points by answering the question assigned your team, and get bonuses for knocking down all the players on the other team. He wrote back with several helpful suggestions - trimming the teams from 5 players to 3 players, avoid long, repetative questions, etc. Then a few months later, Hot Potato appears. They can move fast when they want to.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2004, 01:51:54 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jan 26 2004, 10:28 AM\']I, too, couldn't give two squats what Bob calls the game[/quote]
But, but, he DOES call it Punch-A-Bunch every now and then!

(It's Esoteric Trivia vs. Biting Sarcasm, today on Hot [hiss!] Potato!)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

DrBear

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2004, 02:11:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Jan 26 2004, 12:51 PM\'] (It's Esoteric Trivia vs. Biting Sarcasm, today on Hot [hiss!] Potato!)

[/quote]
 Now, THERE'S AN idea for a hybrid game show - a half hour of Hot (hiss!) Potato followed by a half hour of Most Extreme Elimination Challenge. Now here are your hosts, Bill Cullen and Kenny Blankenship.....
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

uncamark

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2004, 08:48:56 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 26 2004, 12:26 AM\']Here's what I didn't understand:

I don't know why Bill had to use "Correct" or "Incorrect" just to indicate if an answer made the list.

Why couldn't he just say "That made the list" or "That didn't make the list."

How can you have "right" or "wrong" answers on a survey question show such as HP?[/quote]
Because some of the questions were general-knowledge list questions and not just surveys.

And you can't teach an old dog new tricks.  Mr. Cullen had done quite a few game shows before "Hot Potato."