Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Double Dare (Nick) Question  (Read 3165 times)

Vgmastr

Double Dare (Nick) Question
« on: February 02, 2004, 07:37:00 PM »
I was watching DD2K on Nick GAS, and something I've never seen on any DD happened, a tie.  I was expecting some kind of tiebreaker, but instead they had both teams run the obstacle course, with each person doing only one obstacle.  Jason mentioned it was the first time it ever happened on DD2K, but did a tie ever happen in any of the Summers's versions?  If so, did they handle it the same way?

ETA: Lo and behold, right after they air this episode, they air an episode of the original DD which also featured a tie.  This episode featured celebrities, and they had the two celebrities run the course with the civilians winning the prizes they earn.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 07:54:43 PM by Vgmastr »

zachhoran

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 08:00:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Vgmastr\' date=\'Feb 2 2004, 07:37 PM\'] I was watching DD2K on Nick GAS, and something I've never seen on any DD happened, a tie.  I was expecting some kind of tiebreaker, but instead they had both teams run the obstacle course, with each person doing only one obstacle.  Jason mentioned it was the first time it ever happened on DD2K, but did a tie ever happen in any of the Summers's versions?  If so, did they handle it the same way?

ETA: Lo and behold, right after they air this episode, they air an episode of the original DD which also featured a tie.  This episode featured celebrities, and they had the two celebrities run the course with the civilians winning the prizes they earn. [/quote]
 I thought I remembered hearing(on the original DD) that a tie was handled by continuing to play until someone either answered a question or did a physical challenge. The show was edited to reflect the tie, but maybe in the case of the celeb week on the original DD they decided to let the celebs play and give both kids the prizes won in the Obstacle course.

This concept was not alien to Double Dare, as the original Cross-Wits(not sure about the 1986 version) allowed both players(or was it one celeb from each team?) to compete in the bonus round if the maingame ended in a tie, and both players would win the car or trip or fur if all 10 words were gotten.

vtown7

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 08:36:38 PM »
IIRC, in talking to one of my good DD fan friends, that episode of DD2K initially went into overtime, hoping that someone would go for a question, but they went to go for a physical challenge.  Apparently there wasn't enough time left on the prod sked, so they let everyone run one obstacle.

At least it wasn't as bad as the Quebec version of DD ("Double Défi)... one episode finished in a tie... and they FLIPPED A COIN to determine the winner!  Yikes.  Wouldn't want to be on the short end of that stick.

Cheers,

Ryan :)

zachhoran

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 08:39:39 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Feb 2 2004, 08:36 PM\']

At least it wasn't as bad as the Quebec version of DD ("Double Défi)... one episode finished in a tie... and they FLIPPED A COIN to determine the winner!  Yikes.  Wouldn't want to be on the short end of that stick.
 [/quote]
 Flipping a coin is what broke WInner's Circle ties during Clark/Davidson $100K Pyramid tournaments, don't forget.

jw2001

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 09:05:40 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 2 2004, 08:00 PM\']
I thought I remembered hearing(on the original DD) that a tie was handled by continuing to play until someone either answered a question or did a physical challenge. [/quote]
You thought correct.  In the event of a tie they would keep playing until someone correctly answered a question (or incorrectly on a dare or double dare), or successfully completed (or failed at) a physical challenge.

Jay Temple

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004, 09:26:25 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 2 2004, 07:39 PM\'] [quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Feb 2 2004, 08:36 PM\']

At least it wasn't as bad as the Quebec version of DD ("Double Défi)... one episode finished in a tie... and they FLIPPED A COIN to determine the winner!  Yikes.  Wouldn't want to be on the short end of that stick.
 [/quote]
Flipping a coin is what broke WInner's Circle ties during Clark/Davidson $100K Pyramid tournaments, don't forget. [/quote]
 I didn't like it then, and I wouldn't like it in a regular appearance.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

GSWitch

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2004, 09:30:25 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 2 2004, 07:00 PM\'] This concept was not alien to Double Dare, as the original Cross-Wits(not sure about the 1986 version) allowed both players(or was it one celeb from each team?) to compete in the bonus round if the maingame ended in a tie, and both players would win the car or trip or fur if all 10 words were gotten. [/quote]
 Let's not forget the very 1st episode of Money Maze!

Both couples tied after round three which meant no Catch-Up round was played & that both couples ran the $10,000 dash!

And both couples won $10,000!

tommycharles

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2004, 02:36:52 AM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Feb 2 2004, 09:30 PM\']
Let's not forget the very 1st episode of Money Maze!

Both couples tied after round three which meant no Catch-Up round was played & that both couples ran the $10,000 dash!

And both couples won $10,000! [/quote]
 Damn the person that invented the exclamation point.

SplitSecond

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2004, 02:53:15 AM »
I don't think that sentence alone conveyed your true level of exasperation, Tommy.  If only there was something - a suitable punctuation mark or something similar - that you could add to your sentence to give it that extra emphasis.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2004, 10:11:14 AM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Feb 3 2004, 02:53 AM\'] I don't think that sentence alone conveyed your true level of exasperation, Tommy.  If only there was something - a suitable punctuation mark or something similar - that you could add to your sentence to give it that extra emphasis. [/quote]
 I prefer the semicolon; nobody uses it.

DrBear

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2004, 12:53:39 PM »
The hell you say;
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.