Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Syndie Game Ratings for 2003-04  (Read 3520 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Syndie Game Ratings for 2003-04
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2004, 02:00:21 AM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Jan 22 2004, 01:51 AM\'] This is sad. Because of all that BS about the "coveted" 18-49 demographic, we are getting screwed out of a game show (a flawed game show, but a game show nonetheless) that is doing better than the garbage that is being renewed.

I know about demographics and all that jazz, but the math is there. Correct me if I am wrong, but I never heard of a show that is being canned although the numbers prove to be better.

I guess in this day and age, the voice of many means nothing...

The Inquisitive One [/quote]
 You're not getting screwed out of it.  

What "garbage" are you refering to?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2004, 02:31:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 22 2004, 02:00 AM\'] [quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Jan 22 2004, 01:51 AM\'] This is sad. Because of all that BS about the "coveted" 18-49 demographic, we are getting screwed out of a game show (a flawed game show, but a game show nonetheless) that is doing better than the garbage that is being renewed.

I know about demographics and all that jazz, but the math is there. Correct me if I am wrong, but I never heard of a show that is being canned although the numbers prove to be better.

I guess in this day and age, the voice of many means nothing...

The Inquisitive One [/quote]
You're not getting screwed out of it.  

What "garbage" are you refering to? [/quote]
 I am referring to shows like Extreme Dating, Blind Date, the 5th Wheel, and any other show that makes a mockery out of the dating system. How people conceive shows like these, much less watch them, really baffles me. (Don't even get me started about the networks and the crap they continuously air.)

I also understand your sentiments about Pyramid, Dsmith. As I said in an earlier thread, this show failed to capture the charm of the 70s and 80s versions. I was (and still am) torn about whether to join the efforts to save the show (futile as they may be), even though I felt that the show was dumbed down and that the last "$100,000" Tournament left a bad taste in my mouth.

In spite of all that, the show did not have to go to the lows to where today's television execs stoop in order to make a (dis)honest buck. Seeing a sloth making an ass out of himself, or watching some ditz choose a groom that will leave her in the amount of time it took for me to write this, is not my idea of good television, no matter what the numbers say.

It all boils down to what is good on television and what is bad. To me, this is not about game shows. This is about finding television that can appeal to all people of all ages. In my opinion, the only types of shows that I see can do that on non-cable television are, incidentally, game shows. Even if I wrote to the networks and syndicated carriers expressing my disgust for what they air, I fear that they will blow it off and say, "Hey, as long as we're making thi$."

The Inquisitive One

(I sincerely apologize for the diatribe that I just wrote, but I felt that this is the only place to express my sentiments and actually be heard.)
This is the Way.

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2004, 07:46:09 AM »
All this stuff about about that demographic reminds me of an old Simpsons episode:

Lisa: I'm too young. No one listens to me.
Grampa: I'm too old. No one listens to me.
Homer: I'm a white male! Age 18-40. Everyone listens to me! No matter how dumb my ideas are! (Homer then takes out a container called: "Nuts and Gum: Together at last")
insert signature here

uncamark

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2004, 11:38:48 AM »
Well, before we sound "Taps" for "Pyramid," Donny's little red-flag on his web site may just've saved the show.  We have to remember that Sony has not pronounced an official death sentence and I'd rather save the sackcloth and ashes until that actually happens.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2004, 12:06:41 PM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Jan 22 2004, 12:31 AM\'] (I sincerely apologize for the diatribe that I just wrote, but I felt that this is the only place to express my sentiments and actually be heard.)

. [/quote]
 No apology necessary, it was very well-spoken. Let me respond to some points, tho:
I am referring to shows like Extreme Dating, Blind Date, the 5th Wheel, and any other show that makes a mockery out of the dating system
While I'm no fan, you're suggesting that our dating/courtship system isn't a vast caricature of itself in the first place? :)
I fear that they will blow it off and say, "Hey, as long as we're making thi$."
Don't fear it, expect it, for this is exactly their stance.

Now, if that is honest "fear" and the fear of rejection is keeping you from writing that letter, then that is something you need to get past. My attitude towards these things is that I don't expect them to work, but every so often you have a small chance of bending the right ear, and if all it cost me was five minutes out of my life and a stamp, then at least knowing I registered my opinion was worth that.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2004, 12:32:13 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 22 2004, 12:06 PM\'] [quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Jan 22 2004, 12:31 AM\'] (I sincerely apologize for the diatribe that I just wrote, but I felt that this is the only place to express my sentiments and actually be heard.)

. [/quote]
No apology necessary, it was very well-spoken. Let me respond to some points, tho:
I am referring to shows like Extreme Dating, Blind Date, the 5th Wheel, and any other show that makes a mockery out of the dating system
While I'm no fan, you're suggesting that our dating/courtship system isn't a vast caricature of itself in the first place? :)
I fear that they will blow it off and say, "Hey, as long as we're making thi$."
Don't fear it, expect it, for this is exactly their stance.

Now, if that is honest "fear" and the fear of rejection is keeping you from writing that letter, then that is something you need to get past. My attitude towards these things is that I don't expect them to work, but every so often you have a small chance of bending the right ear, and if all it cost me was five minutes out of my life and a stamp, then at least knowing I registered my opinion was worth that. [/quote]
 Thanks for the brand of encouragement, Mr. Lemon.

That was a misguided choice of words in my part. I do not fear rejection. You were right in saying that the blow-off should be expected.

You are also right in saying that i should express my opinion to the networks for what they air. What is $0.40 and five minutes of my time composing a letter about how I feel?

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.