Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Syndie Game Ratings for 2003-04  (Read 3565 times)

uncamark

Syndie Game Ratings for 2003-04
« on: January 20, 2004, 11:56:57 AM »
As no new game shows are being pitched in the exhibition halls and hospitality suites at NATPE in Las Vegas this week (except for the repeats of "Fear Factor"--and yes, it's a game show--and I hate the thing), I thought I'd post the current ratings for syndie shows as reported by Marc Berman on mediaweek.com today--and note his comment underneath.  The plus and minus numbers refer to percentage change from last year at this time.  "Ex-Treme Dating" doesn't show a percentage change because it was officially still in test market at this time last year.

---------------

GAME/RELATIONSHIP
Wheel of Fortune: 8.9 (+ 1), Jeopardy: 7.0 (no change), Who Wants to Be a Millionaire: 3.6 (+33), Family Feud: 2.6 (+24), Pyramid: 2.3 (+15), Hollywood Squares: 2.1 (-13), Blind Date: 1.8 (- 6), ElimiDate: 1.6 (-16), Street Smarts: 1.4 (- 7), Extreme Dating: 1.1, The 5th Wheel: 1.1 (-31)

Interesting that there are no announced new game shows in the works for next season.

------------------

Yeah, isn't it?

GS Warehouse

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 02:13:01 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 11:56 AM\'] GAME/RELATIONSHIP
Wheel of Fortune: 8.9 (+ 1), Jeopardy: 7.0 (no change), Who Wants to Be a Millionaire: 3.6 (+33), Family Feud: 2.6 (+24), Pyramid: 2.3 (+15), Hollywood Squares: 2.1 (-13), Blind Date: 1.8 (- 6), ElimiDate: 1.6 (-16), Street Smarts: 1.4 (- 7), Extreme Dating: 1.1, The 5th Wheel: 1.1 (-31)

Interesting that there are no announced new game shows in the works for next season.[/quote]
Hmm, I thought Berman wasn't publishing syndication ratings this week due to NATPE.  Anyway, my thoughts:
  • I knew all along CBS O&O's commitment to The Insider was the death knell for H2.  A tabloid show costs almost nothing to produce, especially compared to a celebrity-oriented game show.
  • Does Sony know anything about American TV?  First, blackjack on GSN, now the rumored cancellation of Pyramid despite a 15% year-to-year gain?!  Again, I think $$$ is the answer.  ($$$ is always the answer!)  Remember, they've got two talk shows on the launch pad and they want to clear up some budget.
  • I can't stand Fear Factor either, but I have to admit, it fits the basic definition of a game show better than most of the above.
  • I predict that: 1) One day, Oprah will surpass Jeopardy! in the ratings, and 2) On Air won't live to see September.  You've got too many projects going already, Ryan.
  • Can Meredith and Richard outlast Regis and Louie?  Considering their respective shows' gains this year, both have legitimate shots.
  • Finally, I think we can say "talk show" without censoring this year.  Looking at the new talk show slate, Jerry Springer-type shlock is passe.  But I think I see another gs recession on the horizon.  There are exceptions to everything (TPiR, WoF, J!, et al) but let's face it: game shows as we know them just do not have the drawing power they used to.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 02:13:21 PM by GS Warehouse »

GSWitch

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 02:21:01 PM »
I'm sure game shows will make a comeback soon.

We've been through three depressions;

1968:  When CBS canned To Tell The Truth, game show fans only had the "BC" networks going for them.  That lasted 4 years.

1980:  As ABC & CBS canned $20,000 Pyramid & Whew over sitcom reruns, NBC killed 1/2 its games for Letterman's short lived daytime show.  If he had been a hit, there wouldn't have been a Pat & Vanna.

1990s:  Talk shows (Jerry Springer) muzzle their way to have affiliates drop network game shows.  NBC & ABC wave the white flag after Match Game & Caesar's Challenge bombed.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 03:36:15 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 12:21 PM\'] 1990s:  Talk shows (Jerry Springer) muzzle their way to have affiliates drop network game shows.  NBC & ABC wave the white flag after Match Game & Caesar's Challenge bombed. [/quote]
 This, to me, is more indicative of a response to changing times rather than any kind of "depression"

What do you think is going to change about the TV landscape that will make game shows more appealing to packagers to produce? The average American has proven that they will watch pretty much any crap that is thrown in front of them, and there are forms of programming far less expensive to produce. So what's gonna happen to get them to spend the money? Is Thad Dixon going to be elected President and a mandate be handed down?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 04:10:36 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 04:36 PM\'] What do you think is going to change about the TV landscape that will make game shows more appealing to packagers to produce? The average American has proven that they will watch pretty much any crap that is thrown in front of them, and there are forms of programming far less expensive to produce. [/quote]
 Thing is, that's almost exactly what producers of scripted sitcoms and dramas were saying a few years ago when WWTBAM exploded onto the scene and they felt threatened by the new wave of game shows that were coming.

While naturally I don't necessarily agree with GSWitch's specifics, I do agree that the rise and fall of game shows is perfectly natural.  The genre's been left for dead many, many times and it still comes back.  This lull too will be temporary if this is, in fact, a lull.  With five standards returning and who knows how many cable offerings, I'm not sure I'd even make that argument.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2004, 04:29:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 04:10 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 04:36 PM\'] What do you think is going to change about the TV landscape that will make game shows more appealing to packagers to produce? The average American has proven that they will watch pretty much any crap that is thrown in front of them, and there are forms of programming far less expensive to produce. [/quote]
Thing is, that's almost exactly what producers of scripted sitcoms and dramas were saying a few years ago when WWTBAM exploded onto the scene and they felt threatened by the new wave of game shows that were coming.

While naturally I don't necessarily agree with GSWitch's specifics, I do agree that the rise and fall of game shows is perfectly natural.  The genre's been left for dead many, many times and it still comes back.  This lull too will be temporary if this is, in fact, a lull.  With five standards returning and who knows how many cable offerings, I'm not sure I'd even make that argument. [/quote]
 Recently, I've found myself counting out how many games we have had each season, and how many we should have going into next season. Then I like to compare how many we had in the mid-90s. 2002 was the peak year, but with 5, maybe 6, shows returning, I'd say the game show genre is still very healthy, esp. if Pyramid can go ahead and get their renewal.  At least compared to the early to mid 90s. If any genre is truly dead, it's the talk show. They seem to be going through the erosion that games went through about 10 years ago.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2004, 09:20:35 AM »
The average American has proven that they will watch pretty much any crap that is thrown in front of them, and there are forms of programming far less expensive to produce.

I remember when that was once said about the game show - that it was less expensive to produce than the average soap opera, and that's why there were so many on network television.  I guess the same doesn't hold true anymore.

If any genre is truly dead, it's the talk show. They seem to be going through the erosion that games went through about 10 years ago.

Trouble is, it seems that if any genre will make a quick comeback it's the talk show.  Over the years, so many people have been given their own show, and I'm thinking "why in the world do THEY have their own show?"  Even though they're down, the "lulls" seem to be shorter than in the game show genre.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

uncamark

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2004, 12:23:31 PM »
Something else I noticed yesterday--"Ex-Treme Dating" is now airing on FX in the morning.  I don't know if it's day-and-date with syndication or repeats os previously aired shows (and don't intend to find out, either), but I wonder if it's an attempt by Twentieth to pad the ratings of that show, since cable ratings are factored into syndie ratings of shows that air on both platforms ("Friends," "Seinfeld" and "Home Improvement" have recently enjoyed ratings spikes thanks to the TBS airings being counted in syndie numbers).

With that and "Good Day" being renewed, all I can say is that Jillian Bimbo-rie has some Twentieth exec's privates firmly in her grasp.

joshg

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2004, 03:56:47 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 09:23 AM\']With that and "Good Day" being renewed, all I can say is that Jillian Bimbo-rie has some Twentieth exec's privates firmly in her grasp.[/quote]
You mean Jiggling Booberie? At least that's the nickname I give the loud obnoxious woman on 'Good Day L.A.' & 'Good Day Live'...

;-)

JOSH
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 02:35:24 AM by matchgame »
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

zachhoran

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2004, 07:43:09 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 12:23 PM\'] Something else I noticed yesterday--"Ex-Treme Dating" is now airing on FX in the morning. [/quote]
 A post at rec.arts.tv said Extreme Dating is getting renewed for 2004-05.

They also stated a Jay Thomas-hosted game show called The Enemy Within was offered but no one was interested. Also, though not a game show, George Schlatter and Phil Gurin are looking to resurrect Real People as a daily syndie show for Fall 2005(the original RP had a few game show connections, of course)

clemon79

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2004, 09:24:01 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 05:43 PM\'] Also, though not a game show, George Schlatter and Phil Gurin are looking to resurrect Real People as a daily syndie show for Fall 2005(the original RP had a few game show connections, of course) [/quote]
 If they keep the old theme, I'm all over this. :)

Hell, what's Skip Stephenson doing these days? :)

zachhoran

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2004, 09:27:15 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 09:24 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 05:43 PM\'] Also, though not a game show, George Schlatter and Phil Gurin are looking to resurrect Real People as a daily syndie show for Fall 2005(the original RP had a few game show connections, of course) [/quote]
If they keep the old theme, I'm all over this. :)

Hell, what's Skip Stephenson doing these days? :) [/quote]
 Skip died of a heart attack in the early 90s, as we'd reported on Usenet a few years back. George Schlatter didn't find out about his death until quite some time afterward. The real question is, what's Peter Billingsley doing these days(the 10 year old kid who was a semi-regular in the 1983-84 season, and did a week of Teen Celeb Hot Potato)

clemon79

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2004, 09:39:25 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 07:27 PM\'] Hell, what's Skip Stephenson doing these days? :) [/QUOTE]
Skip died of a heart attack in the early 90s, as we'd reported on Usenet a few years back. George Schlatter didn't find out about his death until quite some time afterward.

[/quote]
 Well, apparently George Schlatter and I have something in common.
The real question is, what's Peter Billingsley doing these days(the 10 year old kid who was a semi-regular in the 1983-84 season, and did a week of Teen Celeb Hot Potato)

Ralphie Parker! Best! Chrismas! Movie! Ever!

I don't have the DVD (Yet. I should order me one now that they're available against post-Christmas. I STILL haven't watched a minute of the Indiana Jones Trilogy OR The Alien Quadrilogy sets. So many DVD's, so little time.), but I know the recently-rereleased 2-disc Christmas Story has a BOATLOAD of featurettes and commentaries, including some "where are they now" stuff, and I know Billingsley was included. So perhaps someone who has that DVD can give us an update.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2004, 11:17:55 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 10:39 PM\'] I know Billingsley was included. So perhaps someone who has that DVD can give us an update. [/quote]
 I don't have that DVD, but I can give an update.  Peter Billingsley works behind the scenes these days.  His most prominent credit is as producer of Jon Favreau's movie-folks interview program Dinner For Five on the Independent Film Channel.  On camera, he had a cameo in Elf as the foreman in the elf workshop.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2004, 01:51:30 AM »
This is sad. Because of all that BS about the "coveted" 18-49 demographic, we are getting screwed out of a game show (a flawed game show, but a game show nonetheless) that is doing better than the garbage that is being renewed.

I know about demographics and all that jazz, but the math is there. Correct me if I am wrong, but I never heard of a show that is being canned although the numbers prove to be better.

I guess in this day and age, the voice of many means nothing...

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.