Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Games Magazine - May '16 issue  (Read 3618 times)

alfonzos

Games Magazine - May '16 issue
« on: May 11, 2016, 12:50:32 PM »
Games Magazine has a column called "This Old Game.' A collector writes an essay about one of the games in his hoard. This issue is about Shenanigans, specifically the second edition. In a nutshell, the writer states that although the game is colorful it isn't a very good game. I agree. The payoffs are unbalanced; whomever lands on the 200 Shenanigans space will probably win and whomever gets stuck on Midway has a good chance of losing. Having seen the television series helps ones enjoyment of the game. In fact, I show an episode of the show to potential players before playing the game with them.

I have a solution. When I get my games back out of storage I intend to replace Snake Charmer, which was never in the show anyway, with Test Your Strength and Sword of Damocles. Auctioneer gets replaced with Haunted House. Midway is replaced with Stop and Go. The rules for Guess Weight are changed. Generally, all the payoffs for all the events on the back wall are quadrupled.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Thunder

Re: Games Magazine - May '16 issue
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 06:53:04 PM »
I thought Games Magazine died in the 1990's.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 07:00:49 PM »

Nope.

// Useless trivia: was on the development team for Games Magazine's 2013 Nonelectronic Strategy Game of the Year.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 07:18:34 PM »
Just my interest in it. I had a subscription for a while and found that I wasn't excited for it to come in the mail anymore, and the drifting focus meant it was covering stuff I wasn't interested in.
Travis L. Eberle

gamed121683

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 07:37:43 PM »

Nope.

// Useless trivia: was on the development team for Games Magazine's 2013 Nonelectronic Strategy Game of the Year.

//More useless trivia: The magazine's original publisher...Playboy. Insert your own joke here.

weaklink75

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 07:43:05 PM »

It did for about 18 months in the mid 90's- then it was restarted, and went along pretty well until late 2014 when they merged with another puzzle magazine- their official title now is Games World of Puzzles..

/I have every issue they've done- it's not as good as it was, especially since the merge- a lot of repeat puzzles from their library, no glossy page section, etc.

dale_grass

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 10:13:27 PM »
Insert your own joke here.

That's what she said.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 07:25:46 PM »

//More useless trivia: The magazine's original publisher...Playboy. Insert your own joke here.

"Hey, why isn't your meeple painted?"
"Because I prefer nude."
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."