Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "$100,000 Pyramid" primetime this summer on ABC  (Read 244169 times)

TimK2003

Re: "$100,000 Pyramid" primetime this summer on ABC
« Reply #525 on: August 02, 2016, 01:48:07 AM »
The WC which included the category "Credit Cards" was brutal as well.  The contestant fell right into the Mastercard trap.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #526 on: August 02, 2016, 02:52:16 AM »
For "Things that are strict," I wonder if they would have accepted "A Disciplinarian." Other clues I thought of were "A drill sergeant" and "Judge Judy."

"A stern taskmaster."

/As usual, one "M".
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #527 on: August 02, 2016, 03:32:35 AM »
For "Things that are strict," I wonder if they would have accepted "A Disciplinarian." Other clues I thought of were "A drill sergeant" and "Judge Judy."

"A stern taskmaster."

/As usual, one "M".

I might have to buzz you on that. Synonyms.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Fedya

« Reply #528 on: August 02, 2016, 05:19:38 AM »
I would have said, "A martinet", but most people's eyes would have glazed over, I think.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #529 on: August 02, 2016, 10:12:22 AM »
Other than having no idea who Daniel Radcliffe is, Daymond John played the game well too.

I agree, but I thought he handled the "Daniel Radcliffe" thing really, really badly.  He just shut down and shook his head.  At least say "It's a guy's name," and I bet there would be a good chance that his partner would guess it.  By the time he mumbled something to that effect it was too late.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #530 on: August 02, 2016, 03:20:11 PM »
I would have said, "A martinet", but most people's eyes would have glazed over, I think.

Aristophanes!
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #531 on: August 02, 2016, 03:29:52 PM »
No joy:

"A strict disciplinarian, especially in the armed forces."

/I see martinet and I think of the v/o artist who supplies Mario's voice.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #532 on: August 02, 2016, 04:42:00 PM »
The WC which included the category "Credit Cards" was brutal as well.  The contestant fell right into the Mastercard trap.
That was an easy trap to fall into. I played along at home, and rattled off "Visa, Chase, Masterca...." and realized I would've made the same mistake.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

« Reply #533 on: August 02, 2016, 08:21:34 PM »

I don't agree, but Oxford agrees with you, so whatever. Interestingly, Oxford only agrees with you in one direction: it lists "stern" as a synonym for "strict" but not the other way around.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #534 on: August 02, 2016, 08:29:01 PM »
Today I learned that language is funny sometimes. How about that deal. (My understanding is that stern is harsh and demanding, strict is adherence to the rules to a high degree. So it might be a legal clue but is it a good one?)

/Yes, "Credit cards" is a grisly bear trap, but it's still up to the clue giver to tiptoe around the trap and not fall headfirst into it.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #535 on: August 02, 2016, 10:26:28 PM »
/Yes, "Credit cards" is a grisly bear trap, but it's still up to the clue giver to tiptoe around the trap and not fall headfirst into it.

While this is true, I put "trap" subjects on the same level as "swerve" questions in a lockout-based trivia game. I think they are lazy writing and a bit of a power trip on the part of the writer.

If the only thing that makes a subject interesting is the fact that a VERY obvious clue is illegal (and in this case, not even illegal because of the main identifying adjective, but because of the mundane collective noun), that category should get pitched. The Winner's Circle is about coming up with a clever list of items, not tiptoeing around landmines.

Otm Shank

« Reply #536 on: August 03, 2016, 02:21:28 AM »
Maybe they're already in "budget mode"

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #537 on: August 03, 2016, 02:25:46 AM »

I don't agree, but Oxford agrees with you, so whatever. Interestingly, Oxford only agrees with you in one direction: it lists "stern" as a synonym for "strict" but not the other way around.

That's...strange. Never heard of that before.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #538 on: August 03, 2016, 09:39:09 AM »

The rest of it wasn't bad at all.  There's much better clues for "Things That Jump" than "bean" and "rope", and as Michael pointed out, the top box had a very-gettable pop culture reference.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #539 on: August 03, 2016, 05:02:04 PM »
The rest of it wasn't bad at all.  There's much better clues for "Things That Jump" than "bean" and "rope", and as Michael pointed out, the top box had a very-gettable pop culture reference.

Well, yeah, that's when you have to dip into the adjective pool.  "A Mexican bean."  "A Double Dutch rope".  But it's always a lot easier in my chair than in their chair.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."