Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "$100,000 Pyramid" primetime this summer on ABC  (Read 238771 times)

NickS

Re: "$100,000 Pyramid" primetime this summer on ABC
« Reply #360 on: June 29, 2016, 12:43:44 PM »
This is a discussion of intent and etiquette.

*DING*

No, he didn't cost the other player the game.

Doesn't mean he came off like a giant asshat in the process and -- stop me if I'm off-base here, Mr. Lemon -- this is the track we're traveling on. IMO, those saying "it was harmless" are just like the majority of this board and want as close as possible a replica of the original show. I'm going to bet money that nobody would have had a problem with a Dick Clark stare-of-death at Anderson, because that's exactly what I would have done.

KrisW73

« Reply #361 on: June 29, 2016, 12:49:17 PM »
EDIT - I think a mountain is being made of a molehill - if he had interfered and cost the civilian the point it's a different story.

Why does it make him less of a dick if his effort to distract worked as opposed to not?

In sports, everyone has a shiatfit if two athletes commit the exact same infraction, but one is punished more than another based on the level to which the offended party was affected. What's the difference?

(To those of you saying "what's the big deal?": obviously, in the grand scheme of things, it's not. This is a discussion of intent and etiquette.)

Sorry - I should have been a little more clear. I agree with your point about the etiquette and intent - my thinking was that in the end it didn't cost her the game and I didn't think I spelled that out completely - my fault.

Is he a dick? Absolutely.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #362 on: June 29, 2016, 01:10:16 PM »
stop me if I'm off-base here, Mr. Lemon

I will not, as you are spot-on. He's a dick, or at the minimum he had a moment of dickishness (and a lack of self-control). I don't like dicks or loose cannons booked on my shows.

I'm going to bet money that nobody would have had a problem with a Dick Clark stare-of-death at Anderson, because that's exactly what I would have done.

Yes. It's my hope that someone at the minimum said something to him, even though the incident didn't have an immediate tangible effect.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #363 on: June 29, 2016, 01:33:59 PM »
The first thing I thought was, "What would Dick Clark have said if that happened on his watch?"

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #364 on: June 29, 2016, 01:37:46 PM »
I agree that what Anthony Anderson did was extremely unsportsmanlike (to put it politely). However...

Yes. It's my hope that someone at the minimum said something to him, even though the incident didn't have an immediate tangible effect.

I'd be willing to wager that didn't happen. The other team already won, Anderson's participation in that episode was over, and the odds of him coming back for a future tape date were low. What does the show gain by reprimanding one of ABC's favorite celebrities?

clemon79

« Reply #365 on: June 29, 2016, 01:38:37 PM »
The first thing I thought was, "What would Dick Clark have said if that happened on his watch?"

I think NickS hit it dead on with the Stare "O" Death. He wouldn't need to speak, and the message would have been conveyed in a hurry.

clemon79

« Reply #366 on: June 29, 2016, 01:41:04 PM »
I'd be willing to wager that didn't happen.

Oh, so would I, which I find regrettable, because when people are dicks they need to be called out for being dicks, or else they don't know not to be a dick in the future. But I suspect you are right for all of the reasons (political and otherwise) that you state.

Neumms

« Reply #367 on: June 29, 2016, 04:24:28 PM »

Do people think Clark would have torn him a new a--hole on camera? He'd have played the shock for a laugh and mildly chastised him.

Granted, Anderson was a lousy player, but I appreciate the enthusiasm.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #368 on: June 29, 2016, 04:54:36 PM »
No, but I'm not sure it needs to be the federal case that is being made...
It's not a federal case we're making. We're saying "you don't do that."

Celebrities are humans and God's children just like everyone else. One thing people aren't saying is that in service of pushing this guy on the show because of synergy the show essentially deprived both contestants of a chance at winning the $100,000. The guest stars are supposed to be there to help the contestants win money, not the other way around, and it seems like people forget that.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #369 on: June 29, 2016, 09:31:28 PM »
Do people think Clark would have torn him a new a--hole on camera? He'd have played the shock for a laugh and mildly chastised him.

I very, VERY seriously doubt this.

Neumms

« Reply #370 on: June 30, 2016, 05:06:21 PM »
I very, VERY seriously doubt this.

When Tony Randall cursed on camera, he howled. After Bill Shatner chucked furniture, they had him play one round alone. Sure, Anderson's breach was during the game, but Dick was too smooth on camera to be outraged like a Senator on a committee.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #371 on: June 30, 2016, 05:33:14 PM »
When Tony Randall cursed on camera, he howled. After Bill Shatner chucked furniture, they had him play one round alone.

I don't have a horse in this race like others here, but these moments aren't even comparable. The cursing was Tony trying to rattle him during a light pre-game interview. And you have a few Shatner moments mixed up. Bill threw a chair years after the solo round you describe (orange set vs. blue set). I believe the reason the solo Winners Circle was done was in consolation after a rough week of play.

There are countless times when Dick tried to settle everybody down after they were having fun. I think he took the game & the contestants' welfare in it pretty seriously. Some of the few times he gets caught on camera during the Winner's Circle, he can be seen calming the audience applause if there are less than 10 seconds left. His shout of "NEXT" seemed to be more for the stagehands to hurry it along, and not wait for a cue in their headset to turn the next box.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Kevin Prather

« Reply #372 on: July 02, 2016, 03:20:21 AM »
His shout of "NEXT" seemed to be more for the stagehands to hurry it along, and not wait for a cue in their headset to turn the next box.

I'm reminded of one WC with Adrienne Barbeau. One unfortunate stagehand was taking too long to turn the box, and was greeted with a nasty "PASS!!!" from Adrienne, and an equally nasty "TURN IT!!!" from Dick.

Nick

« Reply #373 on: July 02, 2016, 09:38:12 AM »
Finally got around to seeing this.  From all the good reports about the taping process, my anticipations and expectations were largely satisfied and correct, respectively.  Several of the quibbles already mentioned (cut shots during the game, too many music beds, etc.) take away from what is an otherwise stellar production.  The gameplay, for the most part, was fantastic.  From little things such as the trilion monitors, to having an announcer announcing prize plugs for the Mystery 7 prize, it was great that the feel of the classic show was not lost.

And I want to mentioned specifically how well the Winner's Circle was executed.  Thanks for keeping the classic camera angles and clock sound.  It made the show.

Very pleased.  Here's hoping if there's a season two they can clean up some of the flaws, but wow, it was so nice to see modern and classic so well mixed.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

Thunder

« Reply #374 on: July 02, 2016, 11:23:58 AM »
... Several of the quibbles already mentioned (cut shots during the game, too many music beds, etc.) take away from what is an otherwise stellar production. 

No, they don't. At least from my household where we don't nitpick minutia like that. We liked what we saw and enjoyed the show.