Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Item in "The Onion"  (Read 1744 times)

curtking

Item in "The Onion"
« on: January 17, 2004, 11:53:26 AM »
Grandmother Can't Believe They Let People With Tattoos On Price Is Right

GREAT BEND, KS—Grandmother of nine Sadie Grunfelder, 71, expressed surprise Tuesday when a tattooed contestant was allowed to play "Buy Or Sell" on the long-running game show The Price Is Right. "I can't believe that Bob Barker would let someone with a tattoo up on stage," Grunfelder said from her recliner. "I would think they'd at least make him cover up that terrible thing. What if there are children somewhere, home sick from school, watching this show?" Luckily, Grunfelder's two other means of access to the outside world—the AARP newsletter and reruns of Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman—remain tattoo-free.

TwoInchQuad

Item in "The Onion"
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2004, 05:00:43 PM »
There was another one they ran a couple of years ago...

"Steve Allen: Gone, Forgotten"

...very pithy, I thought.

-Kevin

ChuckNet

Item in "The Onion"
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2004, 11:59:35 AM »

They also did one 3 yrs ago about the writer's rush to get home in time for TJW. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

calliaume

Item in "The Onion"
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2004, 05:49:27 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 18 2004, 11:59 AM\']

They also did one 3 yrs ago about the writer's rush to get home in time for TJW. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
And, as part of the AV Club (which has serious reviews and interviews), they've talked with Bob Barker, Dick Clark, Ben Stein, and the late Rod Roddy.  Interviews are here (just type "bob barker", in quotes, in the search engine).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 05:50:42 PM by calliaume »

uncamark

Item in "The Onion"
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 12:07:50 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Jan 18 2004, 05:49 PM\'][quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 18 2004, 11:59 AM\']

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
And, as part of the AV Club (which has serious reviews and interviews), they've talked with Bob Barker, Dick Clark, Ben Stein, and the late Rod Roddy.  Interviews are here (just type "bob barker", in quotes, in the search engine).[/quote]
And the Barker interview is in a book called "The Tenacity of the Cockroach:  Conversations with Entertainment's Most Enduring Outsiders," a compilation of A.V. Club interviews from the section that reminded you that the Onion started out as an alt-weekly in Madison, Wisc. that went to humor as its other drawing card instead of long articles on arcane subjects.  Barker's in the same section of the book as Motorhead lead singer Lemmy Kilmister, Andy Richter, Vanilla Ice, David Lee Roth and "Weird Al" Yankovic--make of that what you will.  The only other game show personality in the book is The Unknown Comic (and Michael McKean, if you want to include him).

Of course Amazon sells it.