Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New WWTBAM season: Not good ratings news.  (Read 11037 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: New WWTBAM season: Not good ratings news.
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2015, 05:33:50 AM »
As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Well, it isn't like they had a choice not to rejigger the format. Remember, there was a lawsuit.

(That was the only part that didn't rubber stamp everyone else's opinion)

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

JonSea31

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 05:28:20 PM »
As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Well, it isn't like they had a choice not to rejigger the format. Remember, there was a lawsuit.

(That was the only part that didn't rubber stamp everyone else's opinion)

Kind of reminds me of Debt.  It was a huge hit, but due to a lawsuit for using game play similar to Jeopardy!, the producers had no choice other than to revamp the gameplay, and ratings fell drastically as a result of the revamp.  Millionaire must be suffering the same fate, only ratings have been falling at a slower pace.

Is there a link to an article about the Millionaire lawsuit?  I'd like to read about it.
I am developing classic game show PC games.
If you'd like to find out information about them, PM me anytime.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2015, 05:37:26 PM »
Kind of reminds me of Debt.  It was a huge hit, but due to a lawsuit for using game play similar to Jeopardy!, the producers had no choice other than to revamp the gameplay, and ratings fell drastically as a result of the revamp. 
That's not what I remember at all. You're right about everything up to the word "gameplay," but I declare a writ of Proof or Not Real on the ratings deal being solely because the contestants chose a single category and played all five questions from it in order from 50 to 250 rather than being able to pick anything on the board. What I recall is that lots of the production team moved over to Win Ben Stein's Money to get it off the ground, and Debt suffered for it.

Millionaire must be suffering the same fate, only ratings have been falling at a slower pace.
Millionaire also never had as high to fall from, so the fractional losses will be bigger parts of a small pie.

Is there a link to an article about the Millionaire lawsuit?  I'd like to read about it.
Probably, but it won't be on Wikipedia.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 06:54:10 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

JonSea31

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2015, 08:26:40 PM »
That's not what I remember at all. You're right about everything up to the word "gameplay," but I declare a writ of Proof or Not Real on the ratings deal being solely because the contestants chose a single category and played all five questions from it in order from 50 to 250 rather than being able to pick anything on the board. What I recall is that lots of the production team moved over to Win Ben Stein's Money to get it off the ground, and Debt suffered for it.

Courtesy of Wink Martindale, he explained why the ratings for Debt suffered after the format changed due to a lawsuit by Merv Griffin Productions:

Unfortunately after a successful first season in syndication, Disney (owner of DEBT) was sued by Merv Griffin's company claiming a part of DEBT was too much like JEOPARDY.

Disney lost the suit and the necessary changes to DEBT made the show far less compelling as the original. Thus the show didn't survive after season two. That said, it was big with the millennials.

Link to the source:

I am developing classic game show PC games.
If you'd like to find out information about them, PM me anytime.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2015, 03:16:03 AM »
Unless I remember incorrectly, the show never had a "successful first season in syndication".  They tried a limited test run in a few scattered markets and it didn't last.

--Mark
Phil 4:13

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2015, 03:50:11 AM »
Unless I remember incorrectly, the show never had a "successful first season in syndication".  They tried a limited test run in a few scattered markets and it didn't last.

I think Wink simply misspoke here.

This, outside of the show airing on Lifetime, was something I did remember him saying, so Jonsy isn't totally off base here.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2015, 06:14:28 PM »
Agreed. I think Wink simply got his outlets mixed up.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2015, 06:59:19 PM »

The CBS O&O in Detroit ran it at noon right after TPIR for a good while.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

rwalker

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2015, 07:41:33 PM »
Quite a few cities not running Millionaire at all. That's sad when you don't even want to run it post midnight. It's not making money. Four hosts in four seasons certainly didn't do it any favors