Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Illinois Lottery ends live drawings tonight  (Read 5274 times)

chad1m

Illinois Lottery ends live drawings tonight
« on: September 30, 2015, 08:02:06 PM »
After 40 years, the Illinois Lottery is ceasing drawing with live hosts, starting a new system with computer-generated numbers tomorrow. Many of the lottery drawings, and its game shows like Illinois Instant Riches, were broadcast across the country thanks to WGN America. Linda Kollmeyer, lottery lady since 1989 and co-host of the aforementioned Riches, will preside over the final drawing.

WGN, long-time host for the drawings, has a video feature on their website from this evening's news with clips from drawings and shows over the years.

http://wgntv.com/2015/09/30/a-look-back-as-we-say-goodbye-to-the-wgn-lottery-drawing/

weaklink75

Re: Illinois Lottery ends live drawings tonight
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 08:09:03 PM »
Maybe with the money they're saving by going all-digital they can start paying off some of the IOU's they've been giving out...

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/31/illinois-lottery-winners-receive-iou-amid-lack-of-budget.html

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 11:01:21 PM »
They played her off because her farewell speech went too long (and most of Chicago had a collective groan)

(She was brought on for a full interview just now - a proper send off)

Sodboy13

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 11:41:46 PM »
In a state that's had two of its last three governors incarcerated, a lottery that refuses to pay out its largest winners switches to an off-air, behind-closed-doors computerized drawing system. Why wouldn't you play, I ask you?
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 02:33:06 AM »
In a state that's had two of its last three governors incarcerated, a lottery that refuses to pay out its largest winners switches to an off-air, behind-closed-doors computerized drawing system. Why wouldn't you play, I ask you?

Play early and play often!
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 02:44:09 PM »

Or go over the state line to the Shell on Indianapolis Blvd.

/Because cheap gas.

Sodboy13

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 03:35:37 PM »

Or go over the state line to the Shell on Indianapolis Blvd.

/Because cheap gas.

Also, I needs mah smokes!
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

johnnya2k3

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 01:05:25 AM »
Other states may follow suit sometime soon (or already have) with daily lottery drawings going all-digital and online only.

The two multi-state ones, Mega Millions and Powerball, will still be televised; the Georgia Lottery may do away with their live drawings from WSB-TV and move the Mega Millions one (which they own) to either Georgia Public Broadcasting or Turner Studios. (Powerball's, by the way, was done at the Iowa Teleproduction Center in Des Moines for years but moved to Florida in 2008)

By the way, in the '80s WBZ in Boston produced the Massachusetts Lottery drawings, and your host? A young Tom Bergeron!

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 09:33:28 AM by johnnya2k3 »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 01:51:15 AM »
(Powerball's, by the way, is done at the Iowa Teleproduction Center in Des Moines)

Not since 2008, it isn't. It moved to Florida.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

weaklink75

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 09:42:47 AM »
And now if you win more than $600 you get an IOU...

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/10/14/illinois_lottery_short_on_cash_starts_paying_ious.html

(too bad Illinois isn't part of the MMC group anymore- they could use Monopoly money)

Kevin Prather

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 12:48:29 AM »
One of the Illinois lottery winners said it best. If the roles were reversed, and it was a citizen who owed the state money, the state wouldn't take an IOU. They'd come get their money.