Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid Cancelled  (Read 22464 times)

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
Pyramid Cancelled
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2004, 10:08:59 AM »
Brandon, getting contestants who don't care is the specialty of Leslie Aquaviva Shulman (who needs to be chastized OUT of the biz), and IIRC, she worked on Pyramid. She can't pick good contestants out of a group of good contestants. (Yes, I know that last sentence was rhetorical, but think about it).

BTW, Zach said John Schmuk, but meant John Schuck. I'm sure he'd love THAT! :-P

The Ol' Guy

Pyramid Cancelled
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2004, 10:44:27 AM »
And let me jump back in, if I may - please put me among those who are feeling bad more for the demise of the classic game show form than for this version of Pyramid specifically. You just wonder - is the classic style obsolete, or are viewers reacting negatively to the sloppy jazzing up of shows - in Pyramid's case, the 20 second rounds and bending the end game judging rules to accomodate people who aren't the sharpest tools in the box. A future where Fifth Wheel is considered a great game is..well...never mind. It's time for my Zoloft.

ChuckNet

Pyramid Cancelled
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2004, 11:47:29 AM »
First H2, now Pyramid? I can't believe it, considering that the latter was pulling what I thought were respectible ratings this season.

I'll admit like anyone else that the show had its flaws, but it wasn't a bad revival, and I'm def gonna miss it, even if I didn't get picked as a contestant at the Oct. '02 City Sweep in Paramus. :-) Donny did a fine job of hosting, a number of the celebs proved they could play just as good as the 80s regs, and the Super Six Sweepstakes going this season was a nice home viewer incentive.

So long, Pyramid...if there was a clue for "THINGS THAT YOU MISS", you'd be it.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Matt Ottinger

Pyramid Cancelled
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2004, 12:00:12 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 11:44 AM\'] You just wonder - is the classic style obsolete, or are viewers reacting negatively to the sloppy jazzing up of shows [/quote]
 The obvious evidence is that it's the latter.  For all the whining we do about the smallest of nuances, Family Feud and Hollywood Squares each stayed very close to their original formulas and got six-year runs.  Pyramid, Card Sharks and Match Game all deviated from their originals in a specific effort to be hip and edgy and were not nearly as successful.  In the meantime, the three long-running classic shows are still going strong with no end in sight.

Naturally, there are a lot of other factors but the empirical evidence would seem to be glaringly obvious.  A traditional, classic format doesn't get the demographic that some people are looking for.  Producers need to accept this.   However, if it's done right, a classic format can be successful and profitable, and tinkering with a classic format in a misguided attempt to draw a better demo is simply a recipe for disaster.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

wasabe

Pyramid Cancelled
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2004, 12:05:57 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 09:44 AM\'] Contestants would win $10,000 and still act like they don't care.

[/quote]
 I think the reason for that is that while $10,000 is certainly a nice prize, it just doesn't go as far these days as it used to (especially after taxes).  One of the problems was that they (for whatever reason - maybe the finances of syndication -although look at Millionaire) didn't increase the prize money.  They were still giving away the same top prizes as in the seventies, for goodness sake.  While true game show fans would probably play for any amount, the players should have been playing for more, IMO.

I too didn't really like all the "jazziness" of the new Pyramid.  I wasn't that crazy about Donny either.  A little too kiss a** for my tastes.  Which tied into another problem from my perspective.  It seemed that the new version was much more about plugging the celebrities than the older versions.  To me, a game show should be about the gameplay and the people trying to win money that would affect their lives.

Wasabe

Little Big Brother

Pyramid Cancelled
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2004, 12:20:05 PM »
Which tied into another problem from my perspective. It seemed that the new version was much more about plugging the celebrities than the older versions. To me, a game show should be about the gameplay and the people trying to win money that would affect their lives.

That's a very interesting point.  Now that I think about it, contestants received very little on screen time while on the show.  The celebrities would give two out of the three rounds and the camera would mostly stay on them until the contestant gave an answer.  The same is true in the winner's circle.  It might be interesting to take out a stop watch and clock how much screen time a contestant gets on any given episode.

Don Howard

Pyramid Cancelled
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2004, 12:33:37 PM »
I did like the six words or phrases in 20 seconds idea. I also liked the fact that even if you won your second game of the day, you were still going for $10000 if you didn't nail it on your first visit. Donny did an okay job as host as I saw it.
Super Six was a clever title for the main game bonus.
I didn't like the cutey-pie category titles--an idea which has been pinched from Debt on many a show, most prominently Win Ben Stein's Money and even Jeopardy!. I didn't like that which passed for theme music, either. And, of course, the Trump Card idea of a tournament where the top prize was possible but not guaranteed deserves a raspberry.
Still, I did enjoy the program and am sorry to see it go. It will return one day.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 12:41:27 PM by Don Howard »

uncamark

Pyramid Cancelled
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2004, 12:39:59 PM »
Despite all of its flaws, "Pyramid" didn't deserve to be slammed by Sony like this, especially considering its improving numbers.  Steve Brown should be in shock.

And if only Donny wasn't so darned nice--there won't be any gallows humor coming from him in any shows to be taped this season (if there are any).  Meanwhile, once we start seeing the "H2" shows that will be taped starting next week to the end, it should be fun to try to pick up the cancellation references that Tom and perhaps Martin will be sure to make--if they don't get edited out first.

Jimmy Owen

Pyramid Cancelled
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2004, 12:59:12 PM »
I'm sure it will be back within the next ten years and hopefully it will be a less frustrating show for viewers. Of course, by that time, we'll be able to select our own camera angles at home.  For me, the show was at its pinnacle with Bill Cullen at the helm.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Pyramid Cancelled
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2004, 01:08:23 PM »
[quote name=\'wasabe\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 10:05 AM\'] I think the reason for that is that while $10,000 is certainly a nice prize, it just doesn't go as far these days as it used to
(...)
While true game show fans would probably play for any amount,
 [/quote]
 EXACTLY. I'm sorry, maybe it's because I worry too much about these things in this economy, but I'd be flippin' STOKED to win ten grand, and I'd make sure the world knew it. I flat refuse to believe it's Not Enough Money...I'm more inclined to go with Nicholas's assessment that the contestant coordinator was an idjit who couldn't pick an interesting Squares contestant. (as an example of a show that requires much less work on the player's part, with apologies to Brandon Brooks :))

Of course, when the contestant coordinators are ordered to only select beautiful people under the age of 40, they're limiting their options from the get-go, aren't they?
It seemed that the new version was much more about plugging the celebrities than the older versions.  To me, a game show should be about the gameplay and the people trying to win money that would affect their lives.
Well, a celeb is on the show in the first place usually because they have a project of some kind to pimp. So I expect them to have pimping time. I think the new Pyramid's problem was that they tried to intersperse the pimping time into the game, instead of doing it the tried-and-true old way: one celeb gets to pimp before Game One, the other before Game Two.

I'm just deeply satisfied, because the producers were fighting the fans on this one from Day One, and now we know who was ultimately right. Which is not to say we won, or ANYBODY won: one less game show on the air. But we were RIGHT.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Brakus

Pyramid Cancelled
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2004, 01:24:44 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 10:08 AM\'] Brandon, getting contestants who don't care is the specialty of Leslie Aquaviva Shulman (who needs to be chastized OUT of the biz), and IIRC, she worked on Pyramid. She can't pick good contestants out of a group of good contestants. (Yes, I know that last sentence was rhetorical, but think about it). [/quote]
 But sometimes they'll find some real gems... look at how I did on the show, as well as my opponent Ruthie Davis. I do believe they gave us a broom right after we finished recording our show, IIRC. ;-)

As far as the celebrities go... well, that might be another matter.
"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. THAT is the secret of life." -- Iskandar, King of Conquerors (Fate/Zero, Fate/GO)

SteveRep

Pyramid Cancelled
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2004, 01:27:48 PM »
I'm taken aback by the double dose of bad news. For me, WJLA's H2/Pyramid hour was the only saving grace on TV at 10 a.m. -- the others had news, Judge Somebody, Montel and Pat Robertson.

I think I'll actually miss this version of Squares more than Pyramid, although I still believe Pyramid (in the general sense) is the best game ever put on TV.

DrBear

Pyramid Cancelled
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2004, 02:29:39 PM »
I'll just quote my wise wife:

"That's a shame. I liked that show, even if they didn't have anybody famous on it."
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

pyrawoman

Pyramid Cancelled
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2004, 03:45:55 PM »
Perhaps there is no final decision yet and we can help the powers
that be decide to keep Pyramid. I've heard of these things happening before.
For those that want to keep Pyramid, here are a few ways to speak up:

1) You can call Sony Pictures Studio at 310-244-4000 and ask to be put through to whoever you feel would be best to talk to. I wanted to find out what was going on, so I asked to be put through to the Pyramid Production Office. I got voicemail and left a message.

2) These are some execs you could ask to speak to or you can email them. (Sony TV execs from what I understand.)

Steve Mosko, President - email: steve_mosko@spe.sony.com

Russ Krasnoff, President of Programming - email: russ_krassnoff@spe.sony.com

John Weiser, Exec. Vice President of Sony Pictures Television.
email: john_weiser@spe.sony.com

3) More Sony Execs: (Higher up, not just for TV)

Michael Lynton
Chairman & CEO, Sony Pictures Entertainment
email: michael_lynton@spe.sony.com

Amy Pascal
Chairman, Motion Picture Group, Sony Pictures Entertainment & Vice Chairman, Sony Pictures Entertainment
email: amy_pascal@spe.sony.com

Jeff Blake
Vice Chairman, Sony Pictures Entertainment
email: jeff_blake@spe.sony.com

Yair Landau
Vice Chairman, Sony Pictures Entertainment
email: yair_landau@spe.sony.com

3) A pyramid show email address for feedback to them (I was told it would be passed on to Stephen Brown, Producer):
debbie_clark@pyramid-tv.com

Speaking up CAN make a difference. So let's do it, Pyramid fans!

Pyrawoman

Timsterino

Pyramid Cancelled
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2004, 03:48:40 PM »
It is a shame that a game show is cancelled. However, I did not watch Pyramid unless there was a celebrity I was interested in seeing.

H2's cancelation was sad news but not unexpected. What is even sadder is there will be yet another entertainment gabfest with "The Insider". Jeesh, they are as saturated as the court shows.

Tim :-)