Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sale/PYL question  (Read 13482 times)

Vahan_Nisanian

Re: Sale/PYL question
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 09:06:47 AM »
Re: $25,000 Pyramid

Rumor has it that the reason GSN has not shown the 1983-1984 and 1984-1985 seasons is because, when they were trying to convert the tapes of those particular episodes to digital, they suddenly got damaged beyond repair.

snowpeck

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 10:06:08 AM »
If anybody said Lisa's episodes were shows 201-11, that was me, and even then I never definitively said so because I really don't know for sure. Greg has her first show, and whether through his own research or not has it listed as February 24, 1986 in his collection. Based on that and the numbers we had so far for Sale, I theorized that it was #201.
I got that show in a block from WABC that also included a partial General Hospital, Jeopardy and the news. The newscast is what led to that date.

Rumor has it that the reason GSN has not shown the 1983-1984 and 1984-1985 seasons is because, when they were trying to convert the tapes of those particular episodes to digital, they suddenly got damaged beyond repair.

Somebody starts that rumor whenever GSN doesn't show anything, whether it's a skipped episode or whatever. I don't put any stock in those kinds of rumors.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

dale_grass

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 11:51:44 AM »

Are you sure they weren't blacklisted due to numerous appearances by Rob Reiner?

The next time you start a post with "Rumor has it", stop typing, close your browser window, and open a game of FreeCell. Please.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 12:18:10 PM »
The next time you start a post with "Rumor has it", stop typing, close your browser window, and open a game of FreeCell. Please.

"Format your hard drive!" <CLANG!> "Charge!"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Chief-O

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 02:14:23 PM »

"Format your hard drive!" <CLANG!> "Charge!"

I personally would've responded "Run SecurityShield".

In all seriousness, I have questioned the tape condition of some of the $25KPs; some of those shows do look a little poor for the period [especially compared to $100KPs from that time]. I, for one, wouldn't entirely rule out that possibility, but it's still quite unlikely [they no doubt would've tried to bake/restore the tapes prior to transfer].
.....and it goes like this!!!

Winkfan

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 03:37:13 PM »
Looks like Sale ends for good next Friday, replaced by Shop Till You Drop.  $25k Pyramid also ends, replaced by Catch 21 reruns.  Goodbye 10AM classics...

Also, Let's Ask America gets its walking papers, replaced by more Baggage.

Well, at least I got plenty of those departing shows on my portable hard drives.

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

BrandonFG

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 03:41:57 PM »
It's been a while since I've seen them, but weren't some of the 1985 daytime Pyramid episodes from spring of that year?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JonSea31

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 06:11:59 PM »
Well, I would never give up hope for $ale of the Century.  Maybe GSN will pick up the rest of the syndicated run when one of the leases to the other existing shows runs out.  It's probably just something that's common for April or October.

And I don't buy the claim about trivia games not doing that greatly on GSN.  If such claim was true, why on earth is The Chase getting spectacular ratings?

Glad to see that my two most favorite game shows - Card Sharks and Press Your Luck - retain staying power as we head into April.
I am developing classic game show PC games.
If you'd like to find out information about them, PM me anytime.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 06:15:39 PM »
And I don't buy the claim about trivia games not doing that greatly on GSN.  If such claim was true, why on earth is The Chase getting spectacular ratings?
It was in fact a riff on Vahan's earlier point about how Joker and Tic Tac were the lowest rated shows on the network because they were trivia games. In the thread you'll find I pointed to several quiz games that the network has run to varying degrees of success. I'd also be careful in throwing around the word "spectacular" when it comes to GSN's ratings.

I'm sure there's a reason that they're pulling Sale. It may not be what some among us want to hear, but they don't have a monkey who spins a wheel to decide what stays and what goes.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2015, 06:16:46 PM »
I'm sure there's a reason that they're pulling Sale. It may not be what some among us want to hear, but they don't have a monkey who spins a wheel to decide what stays and what goes.

Indeed. They promoted the monkey to upper management.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2015, 06:18:52 PM »
I was debating whether to have the monkey spin a wheel or pick billiard balls from a velvet bag.

/apparently in quiz bowl there's such a thing as a "dart throwing monkey" bonus, too.
//so that's three monkeys.
Travis L. Eberle

aaron sica

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2015, 06:48:56 PM »
It's probably just something that's common for April or October.
<snip>
Glad to see that my two most favorite game shows - Card Sharks and Press Your Luck - retain staying power as we head into April.

In the past, I may have agreed with you, but my school of thought now is that GSN's classic shows are going to become less relevant with the launch of Buzzr. I don't see it being a "common for April and October" thing, I see it as just the progression of the channel.

GSN is down to 10 classic hours a week now, just 8am-10am M-F. I can eventually see MG's morning double run being the only classic on the network.

Bryce L.

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2015, 09:28:21 PM »
Something that just dawned on me tonight... when you look at how many episodes they got through (130, exactly 26 weeks) and the start and end points (end of September/beginning of October to end of March/beginning of April), I think that it wasn't so much GSN deciding to pull the plug, but that they'd only planned on running 130 episodes in the first place, and simply hit the end of the line.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2015, 09:45:56 PM »
Something that just dawned on me tonight... when you look at how many episodes they got through (130, exactly 26 weeks) and the start and end points (end of September/beginning of October to end of March/beginning of April), I think that it wasn't so much GSN deciding to pull the plug, but that they'd only planned on running 130 episodes in the first place, and simply hit the end of the line.

Well, not quite. #153 was skipped, this lease began with #069, and ends with #196. Ergo, it is 127 episodes.

Although, you are right about it being 26 weeks.

Bryce L.

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2015, 09:47:04 PM »

Well, not quite. #153 was skipped, this lease began with #069, and ends with #196. Ergo, it is 127 episodes.
Minor math error on my part then, but the general point still stands.