Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Survivor All-Stars Cast Released  (Read 6779 times)

DrJWJustice

Survivor All-Stars Cast Released
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2004, 02:18:51 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 09:29 PM\'] WWBGD=What Will Brad Garrett Do? If Raymond doesn't continue and the inevitable cancellation of Squares, Sony just might have to bring on Brad Garrett's Hot Potato. [/quote]
 How's about Nipsey Russell's Dream House?  (ducking!)

zachhoran

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2004, 07:39:37 AM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 01:29 AM\']

What I am saying is, though I personally think Survivor sucks, CBS better take this ball and run with it; Thursday Nights will soon be theirs.

[/quote]
 For some of all of the weeks Survivor isn't running, a Primetime TPIR seems like it might now have a chance to succeed in the time slot if didn't succeed in in 1986.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2004, 11:37:09 AM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 12:17 AM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 07:44 PM\'] The CBS MG7x and NBC HS were pulling in decent numbers when axed IIRC. [/quote]
That's the point I was trying to make earlier.  Syndie versions of regular shows seldom do better than the original network version. [/quote]
 But when they DO, whoo, doggie. (See Fortune, Wheel Of, and Jeopardy.)

(For that matter, see the 70's Name That Tune, and Jokers Wild and TTD. It could be argued pretty easily that the nighttime show with Tom Kennedy at the helm did far better than his daytime equivalent.)

I'm not so sure that's a solid argument now.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChuckNet

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2004, 11:42:49 AM »
Elisabeth Filarski-Hasselbeck from The Australian Outback is another who turned down the opportunity to be on the show.

Pity. :-( But I guess w/her new gig as co-host of The View, it's understandable.

Chuck Donegan (The Disappointed "Chuckie Baby")

uncamark

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2004, 12:00:07 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 11:42 AM\']
Elisabeth Filarski-Hasselbeck from The Australian Outback is another who turned down the opportunity to be on the show.

Pity. :-( But I guess w/her new gig as co-host of The View, it's understandable.[/quote]
And in today's Chicago Sun-Times, Phil Rosenthal suggests that Hasselbeck's decision to not do "All-Stars" and take on "The View" may make her the real winner of "All-Stars."

Funny thing:  A couple of weeks ago, Comcast Chicago ran in a local break a promo for style. featuring Hasselbeck (when she was still Filarski) right after she came on "The View."  Today I saw the same promo with Hasselbeck replaced by Finola Hughes--obviously, style. and Comcast are on somewhat of a ball this time.

CherryPizza

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2004, 06:00:25 PM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 05:06 PM\'][quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 04:23 PM\'] Actually, Rich bombed on the $500 question on the Aussie WWTBAM. [/quote]
There was a clip of it on Jamie's page, but I didn't get a chance to see it before he started having trouble with his page.  All I knew was that he didn't make the first milestone.  Served him right, IMO.[/quote]
I'm all for cocky know-it-alls getting their comeuppance in the most painful way possible, but in all fairness, he maybe didn't deserve to "bomb" on that question.

On that episode (a celebrity special... I won't enter the "does he qualify as a celebrity" debate), a number of the other contestants were stumbling on early questions, and Eddie (the host) "helped" them more than he would contestants on the regular show. Also, so many other rules were broken that night (most notably one celeb's home viewer blurted out the answer over the phone).

Richard was stumbling, thinking out loud about the question, and even though he said to "lock in" the incorrect answer, Eddie made no effort to do his usual "Are you sure? Is that your final answer? Let's pad this damn thing out for as long as we can" schtick. Even after casually saying to "lock in" that answer, he was still contemplating the answer... with Eddie having prematurely locked in the incorrect answer, and sitting there with a smug look on his face. FWIW, Eddie McGuire is probably much more cocky and detestable that Richard Hatch.

Rich finally worked out the correct answer, and Eddie's reply was "Yes, it's {Letter}... You locked in {Other letter}", and Rich was sent off the show with no winnings. In the context of the rest of that episode, Rich was, all things considered, not treated fairly.

inturnaround

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2004, 06:08:53 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 12:00 PM\'] Funny thing:  A couple of weeks ago, Comcast Chicago ran in a local break a promo for style. featuring Hasselbeck (when she was still Filarski) right after she came on "The View."  Today I saw the same promo with Hasselbeck replaced by Finola Hughes--obviously, style. and Comcast are on somewhat of a ball this time. [/quote]
 Well, Comcast owns style and it is another cable channel whose programming is being rethought. It's becoming more of a lifestyle/"Trading Spaces" type channel and moving away from fashion. I'm not surprised they're being very proactive about it since they've got their own money riding on the change.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

zachhoran

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2004, 07:45:45 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 11:37 AM\'] [quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 12:17 AM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 07:44 PM\'] The CBS MG7x and NBC HS were pulling in decent numbers when axed IIRC. [/quote]
That's the point I was trying to make earlier.  Syndie versions of regular shows seldom do better than the original network version. [/quote]
But when they DO, whoo, doggie. (See Fortune, Wheel Of, and Jeopardy.)

(For that matter, see the 70's Name That Tune, and Jokers Wild and TTD. It could be argued pretty easily that the nighttime show with Tom Kennedy at the helm did far better than his daytime equivalent.)

I'm not so sure that's a solid argument now. [/quote]
 Syndie Dawson Feud was pretty big through the WOF onslaught in late 1983, whereas the ABC show lost ground a year or two earlier than that.

Jim

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2004, 08:56:00 PM »
Wouldn't Johnny Fairplay from the most recent run have been a great addition?  He and Sue could really get it on.  jOhnny and Richard would be a cool battle of the wicked.

Little Big Brother

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2004, 11:07:46 PM »
Wouldn't Johnny Fairplay from the most recent run have been a great addition? He and Sue could really get it on. jOhnny and Richard would be a cool battle of the wicked.

Granted the battle of the wicked would have been, at a minimum, monumental, I don't think Jon would have lasted long.  The added challenge with the all-stars version is that previous strategies are not as likely to work for the simple fact that the other contestants would know what those strategies are.  For example, I wouldn't be surprised if players keep their eyes on Tina and Colby to make sure they don't pull the same coup that got them to the Survivor: Outback finals.  In the case of Jon, everyone knows not to trust a word that comes out of his mouth, so he has no leverage that will keep him in the game.

All I can say is for the first time, I'm actually counting down the days to the Super Bowl (19) :-)

Ian Wallis

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2004, 09:30:46 AM »
(T)he suggestion that Survivor needs to "fade away" while it's still one of the hottest shows in television deserves all the incredulity we can summon. 

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly, and X gets the square on this one. CBS would be out of their minds to do this.

I have to put myself in the category of hoping it goes away.  I watched the first four, but have lost interest since then.  In fact, for this past one I didn't even watch the finale.

To be honest, I'm surprised ratings are still as good as they are - we had a pretty big drop from 52 to 20 million, and I thought they'd drop further - but they haven't.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!