Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Holiday Marathons  (Read 13560 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: GSN Holiday Marathons
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 08:17:22 PM »
Apples and oranges, if I'm not mistaken. Hasbro owns the game Scrabble. The TV show is owned by Fremantle, last I checked, and I don't think Hasbro could say anything if GSN decided to air it.

I thought that Grundy had to get Selchow and Righter's approval to use the name and adapt the game for TV (hence why the game was named in the end credits by Jay Stewart and Charlie Tuna in the closing credits)?

At the very least the rights belong to Fremantle but if I'm right on the second part I'd figure Hasbro, as the successor in interest to S&R, has to have some say in the matter. But then again, why would they not have objected to Scrabble reruns airing on USA for as long as they did?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 08:22:10 PM »
Rights for the name "Scrabble" as a TV property were owned by Exposure Unlimited at the time. The company owning the rights to the game probably didn't mind the reruns airing because they're getting money for it and it's free advertising for the game itself.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2014, 08:31:05 PM »
Rights for the name "Scrabble" as a TV property were owned by Exposure Unlimited at the time. The company owning the rights to the game probably didn't mind the reruns airing because they're getting money for it and it's free advertising for the game itself.

Hence why it doesn't make sense for them to object now, if in fact that's what is holding up GSN potentially picking the reruns up. (Which nobody can seem to confirm one way or the other.)

There's a followup...who the hell was Exposure Unlimited?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

Thunder

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 08:35:39 PM »

PYLdude

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2014, 08:40:23 PM »

chad1m

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 06:53:22 PM »
Updates from the official PDF shows the Line/Secret combo continues into the week of December 22nd. The Press Your Luck episodes on Christmas Eve are eight straight from, according to episode guides, December 24, 1985 to January 3, 1986. And lastly, I think, the TV's Funniest Game Show Moments special airing on Christmas will be the '80s one hosted by Bill Shatner.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 07:11:29 PM »
Updates from the official PDF shows the Line/Secret combo continues into the week of December 22nd. The Press Your Luck episodes on Christmas Eve are eight straight from, according to episode guides, December 24, 1985 to January 3, 1986. And lastly, I think, the TV's Funniest Game Show Moments special airing on Christmas will be the '80s one hosted by Bill Shatner.

And #585 (December 23, 1985) airs on December 23. On the non-Christmas side of things, Syndie Sale is currently going to go as far as #S-130.

Anyways, this is going to be a terrific Christmas/New Year's. Still can hardly believe they're getting the Bill Shatner-hosted special.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 09:47:03 PM »
What a magnificent week. They've picked some really good What's My Line? episodes in my opinion, so I'm looking forward to that. Also, I don't recall as much of IGAS '72, so it will be great to see another week of those as well.

Seriously, this is shaping up to be another wonderful Christmas at GSN. Good job, guys.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

cmjb13

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2014, 12:12:35 AM »
Sadly, probably the only time classic TPIR is seen on the network.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

PYLdude

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2014, 05:16:30 AM »
I know it's not meant in this manner but for a second I read "Match Game Strip" and I said to myself, how loosey goosey was it on that set?

cmjb13

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2014, 03:25:45 PM »
I don't know how it is with other carriers, but DirecTv shows the TV's funniest game show moments from 2000 hosted by Richard Dawson
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

chad1m

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2014, 04:38:56 PM »
I don't know how it is with other carriers, but DirecTv shows the TV's funniest game show moments from 2000 hosted by Richard Dawson
It also says I've Got a Secret is hosted by Bil Dwyer and some episodes will be aired of What Is My Line, where pro bass angler Mike DelVisco looks at the only connection between you and the fish, your line.

BillCullen1

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2014, 09:51:41 PM »
I thought the best holiday marathon GSN had was in 2006, when they had the G-T library. They had eps of Family Feud, Body Language, Tattletales and 1990 TTTT, with Lynn Swann hosting, among others.

Winkfan

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 03:49:00 PM »
Here's the low-down on the 12/29/2014-1/4/2015 schedule.

It'll be "business as usual" on New Year's Eve, except that Let's Ask America will be starting up again with #2001 at 3:30am. I still think a Beat The Clock "Best Stunts of the Year" marathon would have been a great idea on that day.

Cordially,
Tammy

P.S. At least this year we'll finally see the last Press Your Luck installments for 1985.
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024)

jimlangefan

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2014, 03:58:05 PM »
What should also be noted, is that by that schedule GSN is going past episode 130 of syndie $ale.  Which means they have gotten more than 65 episodes this time around.  Didn't GSN get 80 something episodes when they initially got it before?
TV's Big Dealer