Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The "mouth tear" to control contestants  (Read 9447 times)

SuperMatch93

Re: The "mouth tear" to control contestants
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 06:41:33 PM »
Honestly, my first guess upon reading this was Monty Hall, since the nature of LMAD both prohibited him for knowing anything about his contestants as well as the possible need to have to control them moreso than other shows, but Dawson sounds more plausible since they both hosted Feud and Dawson seemed more touchy-feely anyway.

/Assuming, of course, that this story is even credible
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

jjman920

• Mhoops.
Re: The "mouth tear" to control contestants
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 07:49:12 PM »
The story sounds about as credible as Bob Barker's "Historic Moments".

Thirty year recollections are always sketchy. Side story. I just started reading the book "Live from New York" about the history of SNL and Albert Brooks recalls that he came up with the host-of-the-week portion of SNL's format, while Lorne Michaels doesn't recall even first speaking to Albert when that decision was made.

In any case, I'd have hard time thinking of many game shows that have the contestants' backs to the camera as the host talks to them. Dawson seems the likeliest, but it sounds so unbelievable that someone would have the gall.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.