Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Network changes  (Read 7209 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game Show Network changes
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2004, 10:26:21 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 08:24 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 10:07 PM\'] Ya know, I wonder if The New GSN has any plans to dedicate any programming to coverage of some sort of German-style boardgaming? I'm not talking about live coverage of a Settler's tournament or anything, that would be utterly lame TV, but maybe a short documentary or a bit on a news-type show... [/quote]
Not sure if you're kidding or not (God knows you and Don Rickles are the kings of sarcasm), but an article in the newest Games magazine covers the basics of BrettspielWelt, the popular German board game website. [/quote]
 No, I'm dead serious. There are at least a few people here who enjoy German-style games, and if this is gonna be a general gaming network, it might be good exposure for the hobby.

(and yes, I play on BSW. :))
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2004, 10:30:29 PM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 06:28 PM\'] One question I do have here -- what, exactly, is the 'new' GSN aiming for?  Reality shows are certainly at the top of their list, but it seems like they're going in the same direction that the old Nashville Network, among many others, has gone, which is away from their traditional audience.  
-------------------------
Oh, I do apologize for the harsh tone earlier.  It's not an excuse, but I am on medication for a major ear infection (going on 6 months now!!)  that does include mood swings as a side effect. [/quote]
 Second part first:  OUCH!  Can't even begin to imagine to feel your pain.  Good luck with the new meds.

As to the first:  I think the comparison to The Nashville Network is probably a little too much because the switch from that to Spike TV was so drastically different.  GSN's move toward reality shows seems radical to us because we are, for the most part, traditional fans.  I think many TV fans in general don't see this move as being nearly as dramatic as we do.  And a bunch of folks must be downright confused that GSN is making such a big deal about now being known as GSN.

But yeah, ultimately it's all about attracting a larger, younger audience.  They think they can do that with reruns of more recent reality shows and edgier originals.  Time will tell whether they're right.  In the meantime, they still have an entire programming day to schedule, and large chunks of that time outside of prime time will still be filled with library product.  So we've still got that, and maybe they'll surprise us now and then.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

DrJWJustice

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2004, 11:04:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 08:35 PM\'] What is the purpose of being on a message board if you don't read the messages?
 [/quote]
 Just couldn't resist, could ya?  Typical and predictable.

DrJWJustice

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2004, 11:07:12 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 10:26 PM\'] No, I'm dead serious. There are at least a few people here who enjoy German-style games, and if this is gonna be a general gaming network, it might be good exposure for the hobby.

(and yes, I play on BSW. :)) [/quote]
 Hey, they're doing all those Texas Hold 'Em poker games on ESPN, a sports channel covering an event where the 'athletic' part of the game consists of flicking the wrist to throw chips into the betting pile.  I'd believe it if German-style games were to show up on the new GSN.  

Frankly, those celebrity poker games would fit in better on GSN as it is now than they do on ESPN.

DrJWJustice

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2004, 11:12:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 10:30 PM\'] Second part first:  OUCH!  Can't even begin to imagine to feel your pain.  Good luck with the new meds.
----------------------------------------------------

As to the first:  I think the comparison to The Nashville Network is probably a little too much because the switch from that to Spike TV was so drastically different. [/quote]
 Thanks for your concern on my ear.  I think you can tell from earlier today (med induced, in part) that I'm pretty damn tired of it.  We're doing all we can to keep me from losing my hearing there.  

As for TNN/Spike, I thought its transition was a bit smoother than that.  I used to watch it all the time when it was the Nashville Network.  It then altered its programming to include stuff like Dallas, Star Trek, etc., and then later changed its name to the National Network to reflect its de-emphasis on country music and outdoor lifestyles.  Spike would have happened last summer, but there was the big brouhaha over the name that had to be resolved before they did start using it late last fall.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2004, 11:36:01 PM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 11:04 PM\'] [quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 08:35 PM\'] What is the purpose of being on a message board if you don't read the messages?
 [/quote]
Just couldn't resist, could ya?  Typical and predictable. [/quote]
Just like your ...

You know what, never mind.  I'm not going to waste a pissing match on inane stuff like this.  I wish you would just listen to criticism instead of being so stubborn all the time.

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 11:43:36 PM by Brandon Brooks »

DrJWJustice

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2004, 02:23:17 AM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 11:36 PM\'] I wish you would just listen to criticism instead of being so stubborn all the time.

Brandon Brooks [/quote]
 Hehehehe, and have I ever got a GREAT idea for the "New" GSN's first reality series:  "Pot.  Kettle.  Black"  staring the guy I quoted above.  Maybe do it in the form of "Win Brandon Brooks' Money" -- if he blinks first, you win his dough.  Is $100,000 per episode enough for you, Mr. Brooks?

Actually, such a series could work.  I just hope no Fox execs are reading this thread.