Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Classic GS not remade  (Read 7108 times)

The Ol' Guy

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2004, 01:04:00 PM »
IIRC, the Disney 20 Questions was something a little different - it was a proposed offshoot of the popular Twenty Questions box game made by University Games, which for those who haven't played it, is a very entertaining game where each card has 20 CLUES to a person, place, or thing. Players take turns picking numbers between 1 and 20, and the reader for that round reveals the clues next to those numbers until one player figures out the subject. Like for Ice Cream, the clues include "I can be found in a bar" - "though I can't swim, I can be a float", and "I can be found in a truck full of Good Humor" (clues from the kids edition). I'll keep trying to get a copy of the pilot to confirm that.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 01:05:55 PM by The Ol' Guy »

Mark McNeil

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2004, 06:33:34 PM »
I could say "The Who, What Or Where Game", but was "The Challengers" considered a remake of that show?

Argo

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2004, 06:37:24 PM »
I never really saw the main game of NYSI, but the bonus game looked pretty sweet. I dont know if it would be considered a classic, but everything else good came from the 70s version, like the music for one... and the set was pretty cool.

Matt Ottinger

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2004, 06:57:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Mark McNeil\' date=\'Jan 8 2004, 07:33 PM\'] I could say "The Who, What Or Where Game", but was "The Challengers" considered a remake of that show? [/quote]
 I think we'd have to call it one.  Same producer, same basic structure.  It certainly was being pitched as something new and fresh at the time so they probably didn't make a big deal about its earlier incarnation.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

zachhoran

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2004, 07:11:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Mark McNeil\' date=\'Jan 8 2004, 06:33 PM\'] I could say "The Who, What Or Where Game", but was "The Challengers" considered a remake of that show? [/quote]
 It was roughly a revival of The WWW Game. Randy Amasia was a part of the run through/pilot in 1988 called "The New Who WHat or Where Game", which later became the Challengers.

zachhoran

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2004, 07:14:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 8 2004, 06:57 PM\']
I think we'd have to call it one.  Same producer, same basic structure.  It certainly was being pitched as something new and fresh at the time so they probably didn't make a big deal about its earlier incarnation. [/quote]
What made it "new and fresh" probably was the emphasis on current events and current pop culture the show was supposed to have. It was current events based earlier in the run, but the current events-based questions were mostly shaved off half-way or so into the run.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 07:22:58 PM by zachhoran »

TimK2003

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2004, 07:42:16 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Jan 8 2004, 01:04 PM\'] IIRC, the Disney 20 Questions was something a little different - it was a proposed offshoot of the popular Twenty Questions box game made by University Games, which for those who haven't played it, is a very entertaining game where each card has 20 CLUES to a person, place, or thing. Players take turns picking numbers between 1 and 20, and the reader for that round reveals the clues next to those numbers until one player figures out the subject. Like for Ice Cream, the clues include "I can be found in a bar" - "though I can't swim, I can be a float", and "I can be found in a truck full of Good Humor" (clues from the kids edition). I'll keep trying to get a copy of the pilot to confirm that. [/quote]
 For the description you just gave, that seems to be a recycled version of the Goodson/Todman "Double Dare" format using Jackpot! type riddles.

itiparanoid13

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2004, 08:00:12 PM »
I may be missing something, but isnt Whammy a remake of PYL?

The Ol' Guy

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2004, 10:49:17 PM »
Good point on 20 Questions, Tim. Each card has a mix of clever and pedestrian clues - others on that same card go "I'll melt in the sun", "I'm always cold", "I'm made with milk", and "Most often, I'm chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry", along with occasional instructions like lose turn, take a free guess, and exchange places with so-and-so player (correct guessers along the game board the number of clues remaining. If a player guessed after 5 clues read, the reader moves 5, the guesser moves 15 spaces). I can see some Jackpot riddles at least inspiring some of the clues. About that time, though, there were lots of box games using the same concept - Anybody's Guess and Clever Endeavor immediately come to mind. During the adult board game boom of the 80s, there were many box games that generously borrowed TV game show concepts old and new, too. Just goes to show good ideas rarely die - they just change.

ChuckNet

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2004, 11:25:36 PM »
The late '80's attempt was to have been hosted by Henry Polic II.

And it was to have been titled Eye-Q, IIRC.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

ChuckNet

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2004, 11:27:45 PM »
And I do remember reading in a trade magazine that Barry-Enright was considering a 20 Questions revival. IIRC, Enright told me that then-employee Ron Greenberg was more for the idea than he was. Enright, who worked at WOR back in the days when 20Q was a radio show there, said he thought the format was too dull for today's audiences.

Greenberg actually produced a 20Q pilot for ABC in 1976, hosted by Jack Clark...let's just say Enright called it w/regards to how it came out. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

gameshowguy2000

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2004, 11:43:41 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Jan 8 2004, 07:00 PM\'] I may be missing something, but isnt Whammy a remake of PYL? [/quote]
 It is. Just a few tweaks from the classic version, plus some new stuff.

Mike Tennant

Classic GS not remade
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2004, 10:32:19 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 8 2004, 11:43 PM\'][quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Jan 8 2004, 07:00 PM\'] I may be missing something, but isnt Whammy a remake of PYL? [/quote]
It is. Just a few tweaks from the classic version, plus some new stuff.[/quote]
Hence its full name:  Whammy!  The All-New Press Your Luck.