Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Syndicated game shows that still aired following their so-called finale.  (Read 14932 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Piggybacking off the early premiere thing, how late were certain shows on in your area past their cancellation, whether reruns or bicycling?

As far as I know, WLNY was airing The $25,000 Pyramid well into the 1980s (1985 at least, IIRC), WPIX aired To Tell The Truth until at least 1980 as part of their nighttime game block that included Tic Tac Dough and two others (You Don't Say with Jim Peck being one).

Keep in mind I'm talking shows strictly made for syndication and not specifically sold rerun packages. So don't list the limited PYL rerun package or the Card Sharks package.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

aaron sica

I saw the syndicated TPiR listed as late as summer 1981 (WCBS carried it at 7:30pm on Saturday night). Just about the same timeframe with Cross-Wits.

Jimmy Owen

In the Bay City-Sag-Flint, MI, we got the Rod Serling Liars' Club in the summer of 1971, long after production wrapped in 1969.  In New York, WPIX aired All About Faces in 1975.  In Lansing, MI, Channel 10 showed It's Your Bet after production wrapped and Stump the Stars as late as 1976. Sources are back issues of TV Guide.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TimK2003

It was mentioned years ago that Super Pay Cards! was reran well into the 80s on some Canadian stations.

Johnissoevil

In New York City, WOR-TV channel 9 aired Dawson Feud reruns during the 1985-86 season
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

brianhenke

I remember seeing a Broadcasting ad for the repackaged Feud reruns in the summer of 1985 that played off the New Coke debacle (for you kids out there, Coca-Cola pulled the Coke we all know in 1985 for a new flavor that was such a sales disaster that Coke had to bring back the old flavor - and eventually New Coke faded into oblivion).

Brian
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

SuperMatch93

WPWR in Chicago (then on channel 60) aired Gong Show and Treasure Hunt as late as March 1984.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 12:02:10 PM by SuperMatch93 »
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Ian Wallis

It was mentioned years ago that Super Pay Cards! was reran well into the 80s on some Canadian stations.

That was to fill Can-con rules.  Canadian stations are forced to air a certain amount of Canadian programming - that's why such shows as Let's Make a Deal, Split Second and Super Pay Cards aired for so long north of the border.

In our area, WUTV continued to air Newlywed Game long after it stopped production in 1980.  I'm sure there are a few others but I can't think of them off the top of my head...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

JayDLewis

80s? It was airing on CHCH as late as 1991 or 1992.
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

Jimmy Owen

That reminds me, KHJ in LA showed "Pitfall" in 86 or so.  That must have made Alex T happy. :)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Johnissoevil

Another case of syndicated reruns, also on WOR, late 70s Dating Game reruns aired from 1984 to 1986, late 70s Newlywed Game reruns from 84-85
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

aaron sica

I remember seeing a Broadcasting ad for the repackaged Feud reruns in the summer of 1985 that played off the New Coke debacle (for you kids out there, Coca-Cola pulled the Coke we all know in 1985 for a new flavor that was such a sales disaster that Coke had to bring back the old flavor - and eventually New Coke faded into oblivion).

Brian

At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, I think Coke knew what they were doing all along. When the "old Coke" came back, they made one slight change - the pure cane sugar was replaced with high fructose corn syrup. I think the "New Coke" was a distraction so they could swap out the real sugar for the HFCS in hopes no one would notice...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
I think the "New Coke" was a distraction so they could swap out the real sugar for the HFCS in hopes no one would notice...

That would be an awful lot of money to spend on something they could have just done, 80% of people never would have noticed, and of the 20% who did, 19% would shrug and keep drinking.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mike Tennant

I think the "New Coke" was a distraction so they could swap out the real sugar for the HFCS in hopes no one would notice...

That would be an awful lot of money to spend on something they could have just done, 80% of people never would have noticed, and of the 20% who did, 19% would shrug and keep drinking.
As then-Coca-Cola president Don Keough said at the time in response to conspiracy theories suggesting New Coke was introduced just so they could reintroduce Classic Coke to greatly improved market share, "We're not that smart and we're not that stupid."

Winkfan

...Stump the Stars as late as 1976.

Ditto here in Santa Barbara; KEYT (channel 3 ABC station) aired StS at 5:30pm during the 1975-76 season.

Cordially,
Tammy
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024)