Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Syndicated game shows that still aired following their so-called finale.  (Read 14835 times)

bosox1256

Re: Syndicated game shows that still aired following their so-called finale.
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2014, 03:14:24 PM »
Looking at one of my friend's TV guides from 1984, WBZ in Boston was still airing Syndie Match Game.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2014, 01:49:09 PM »
WPWR in Chicago (then on channel 60) aired Gong Show and Treasure Hunt as late as March 1984.

Would that count, because GONG and TH were in rerun packages by then?
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2014, 08:16:34 PM »
WPWR in Chicago (then on channel 60) aired Gong Show and Treasure Hunt as late as March 1984.

Was Gong sold in a specific rerun package after it was off the air? Never heard of it being so, don't count it otherwise. Treasure Hunt I might be able to believe wouldn't be resold in a rerun package because they could simply have just continuously rerun the series after first run episodes ended, couldn't they have?

I'm actually curious as to how long bicycling was still in practice in the '80s.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Scrabbleship

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2014, 08:41:47 PM »

Was Gong sold in a specific rerun package after it was off the air? Never heard of it being so, don't count it otherwise.

I know the current WTIC in Hartford aired Gong reruns from the outset of its 1984 signon for at least a year afterward (source 8/24/85 TVG). They would've had to gotten those reruns somehow.

I'm actually curious as to how long bicycling was still in practice in the '80s.

I think it was out of practice by the mid 1980s at the latest. The move to satellite delivery was swift.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2014, 10:16:50 PM »
Was Gong sold in a specific rerun package after it was off the air? Never heard of it being so, don't count it otherwise. Treasure Hunt I might be able to believe wouldn't be resold in a rerun package because they could simply have just continuously rerun the series after first run episodes ended, couldn't they have?

Since the syndicated GONG reruns (which started running in the fall of 1978) had no continuity (they could show a 1976 episode and a 1978 episode in the same week), I would say that yes, they were specific rerun packages.  (USA also ran these packages, also with no continuity.)  And I believe TH and DATING were packaged with GONG reruns in the 1980s--although I can't say for sure (didn't really care about those two shows at the time).
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2014, 10:27:44 PM »
If I remember correctly, WWOR aired the Dating Game reruns for the '84-'85 season, with Joker and TTD which they'd just picked up from WCBS. There's an ad circulating on YouTube (Chuck Donegan's page, if I'm not mistaken).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2014, 10:47:26 PM »

This might be an incorrect childhood memory, but I swear I remember seeing two different seasons of Wheel airing  n my hometown (we got two different cities).  It stands out because one episode had the shot of the wheel spinning in the foreground; the other station had episodes that did not have this feature.  At the time, it made me wonder if each TV station had their own camera crew.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jimmy Owen

Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2014, 02:31:18 PM »
And as evidenced by the two episodes posted on YouTube, WSB here in Atlanta aired syndie Match Game reruns as late as 1985-86 (around the same time they carried the Tom Kennedy TPIR).