Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pricing game ideas, before they go in the recycling bin  (Read 9250 times)

RobertSearcy

• Executive Producer
Re: Pricing game ideas, before they go in the recycling bin
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 10:34:46 PM »
When I typed my reply early this morning, I wasn't thinking of my words as a knock on Hit Me but more like how simple of a blackjack variant I could see such a game being compared against Hit Me's rules from the eyes of a casual and/or not-an-every-single-day viewer of TPIR.

I actually liked Hit Me.....it seemed to me like it just had a lot of people who didn't exactly know how to play the game well.  I do like the excellent points and such brought up, though (and Scott's insight on quickness and such if it were an actual PG).
"If everyone played Stud 8, it wouldn't matter who's in the White House because this would be one happy country!" -- Norman Chad during the 2007 World Series of Poker $50K HORSE event

Thunder

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2014, 10:57:43 PM »
I feel the same as the others above about Hit Me...even in middle or high school, I couldn't understand how contestants failed to grasp that a prize ending in "0" would have a 10 behind it. Granted, there were times where the producers would put a 5 in there, but you should still be able to put 2+2 together when you see "$7.90" and it's a .79 can of tuna, as opposed to a 1.58 bottle of salad dressing.

/But hey, bright lights and all I guess

I was bored while grocery shopping and was reading this thread as I was walking down the canned meats aisle.

I'm sorry. You're over. :D

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2014, 08:56:29 AM »
So if I picked the tuna, my card would be a seven, right?

/TOTALLY get "Hit Me"
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Thunder

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2014, 02:29:19 PM »
I'm going to give you the car anyway!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2014, 03:34:33 PM »
Fark that; at those prices, just lemme buy the tuna.

/tuna for less than a buck in Seattle does not exist even at Costco
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Thunder

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2014, 08:32:39 PM »
New economic development marketing push:

SouthsideVA - Home of cheap tuna!

alfonzos

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 10:11:11 PM »
Please set up a demo I would like to try this some time.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 10:14:02 PM »
How about that; I just thought of a new way to do the play-in bit for Rotary Telephone Game. I wonder how many pages down that is now.
Travis L. Eberle

Unrealtor

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2014, 08:42:49 PM »
- The host explains that the game is like blackjack. The host explains that the contestant must choose the closest price, which contains a 10. The next-closest contains a 8, the farthest contains a 6.
One of the things I thought of: what if the host doesn't reveal what the consolation cards are?

"If you pick the actual price you'll get a ten. The farther away from the actual price, the worse your card will be. If you tell me the price of both items exactly you'll have 21 and win the (prize.) If not we hope your two cards are better than the hand we deal for the house."

I don't think that you need to tell what the runner-up cards are, and I don't think they have to be the same each time, except that the second best price has to have a better card than the worst of the three.

I don't know if it's a problem that's worth fixing, but it still makes the middle of the 3 prices always a better option than a random guess, as others have pointed out. It could just be a matter of "If you pick the right price you get the ace/king. If not, you have to take the top card off of the deck." It would probably be useful to provide a scenario where the contestant could hit if it went that way, though.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2014, 01:52:43 PM »
I don't know if it's a problem that's worth fixing, but it still makes the middle of the 3 prices always a better option than a random guess, as others have pointed out.
Those "others" include the person you quoted.
Travis L. Eberle

Unrealtor

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2014, 07:20:51 PM »
I don't know if it's a problem that's worth fixing, but it still makes the middle of the 3 prices always a better option than a random guess, as others have pointed out.
Those "others" include the person you quoted.

It is a little bit ambiguous there, but I was meaning "others" in the sense of "people who are not me", not in the sense of "people who are not you." But I'm always happy to provide the opportunity for someone to be condescending to me.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

dale_grass

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2014, 07:33:17 PM »
I'm always happy to provide the opportunity for someone to be condescending to me.

He only does it to garner sarcasm.  Mission accomplished.