Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Credits Observation  (Read 1986 times)

Ian Wallis

Credits Observation
« on: January 08, 2004, 09:25:23 AM »
We all know that the networks always run split-screen promos during the credits these days, but last night's "The Mole" hit a new low.  The credits were scrolled over an outtake of one of the games, but they went so fast they were like a blur.  They must have run through the whole credit list in about 10 seconds.  I couldn't even read one of the names properly because they went by so fast.

If I were one of the people who worked on that show and had my credit run that way, I'd be upset.  It's almost getting to the point of "why bother".
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

uncamark

Credits Observation
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 12:16:51 PM »
Some of you who care about this sort of thing might be interested in reading the BBC's policy regarding credits, which is up for everyone to view thanks to being a publicly-funded organization.  Due to the Beeb's policies regarding "readability," what happened on "Celeb Mole" last night wouldn't be allowed, but there probably would be fewer credits.  Feel free to go around and see how serious the Beeb is about their logo.

One paragraph on the "Programme Duration" page is on topic:

End Credit durations for programmes such as daily quizzes and continuing sports coverage should not exceed 10 seconds. They may be longer for first and last editions provided they do not exceed the timings listed.

Which would be 25 seconds for your average half-hour game show--and that's 25 seconds of *readable* credits.  However, if the show's on BBC Three, their new digital/satellite young-demo channel, credits are 15 seconds, no exceptions (and title sequences are 10 seconds, no exception).

And "first and last editions" means first and last shows of a season (or "series," as they prefer to say).

Don Howard

Credits Observation
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 12:59:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 8 2004, 09:25 AM\'] If I were one of the people who worked on that show and had my credit run that way, I'd be upset.  It's almost getting to the point of "why bother". [/quote]
 Truth. What's the point in being credited if no one's going to be able to make out the names?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Credits Observation
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 01:35:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 8 2004, 07:25 AM\'] If I were one of the people who worked on that show and had my credit run that way, I'd be upset.  It's almost getting to the point of "why bother". [/quote]
 If I was one of the people working on the show, as long as the check cashed, I couldn't care less what speed my name flashed across the screen at. I suspect most of the actual crew of that particular program will agree with me.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mike Tennant

Credits Observation
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 01:48:37 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 8 2004, 01:35 PM\']If I was one of the people working on the show, as long as the check cashed, I couldn't care less what speed my name flashed across the screen at. I suspect most of the actual crew of that particular program will agree with me.[/quote]
Quite so (not that I'm part of the crew).  It may be nice to see your name on TV, but who except the die-hards among us actually reads the credits?  If someone in the industry sees something he likes, I'm sure he can find out who's responsible for it in other ways.