Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GS home and video games: what you DIDN'T like.  (Read 14766 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: GS home and video games: what you DIDN'T like.
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2014, 02:01:24 PM »
Did anybody own the game and get directions from the instruction booklet. Whenever I played it was via rental and therefore it was sixty seconds of guesswork. (Seriously, in what universe do you propel your guy forward by alternating left-right-left-right? I thought GameTek made the game, not Konami.)
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2014, 02:34:13 PM »
Seriously, in what universe do you propel your guy forward by alternating left-right-left-right? I thought GameTek made the game, not Konami.)
I cannot tell you how many joysticks I broke playing this. Konami wasn't the only offender. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2014, 02:54:58 PM »
Seriously, in what universe do you propel your guy forward by alternating left-right-left-right? I thought GameTek made the game, not Konami.)
I cannot tell you how many joysticks I broke playing this. Konami wasn't the only offender. :)

Also the NES version of Winter Games.

Track & Field II had issues too. I found the hammer throw particularly frustrating.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2014, 03:01:41 PM »

That was more rhythmic than frantic, though, wasn't it? (I'm thinking biathalon specifically.) Was there a jiggle event in Winter Games? (I played it on my Apple II.)

PYLdude

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2014, 03:08:07 PM »

That was more rhythmic than frantic, though, wasn't it? (I'm thinking biathalon specifically.) Was there a jiggle event in Winter Games? (I played it on my Apple II.)

The speed skating event. The NES didn't have all the events that other versions did apparently either.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2014, 04:02:40 PM »
(Seriously, in what universe do you propel your guy forward by alternating left-right-left-right? I thought GameTek made the game, not Konami.)
Try walking down the street only using your right foot and tell me how far you get.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2014, 04:12:25 PM »
Try walking down the street only using your right foot and tell me how far you get.
Super Mario Brothers (and all games after it) have your guy move in the direction you enter on the keypad. As does Contra. And Mega Man. And Legend of Zelda. Just about every game uses a sensible means to direct your guy because to do something that's more realistic (and if you want realism I point you to QWOP, a game where you run a 100m "sprint," and each key press exercises a thigh or foot muscle) would detract very much from the game-playing experience.
Travis L. Eberle

pacdude

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2014, 04:25:20 PM »
(Seriously, in what universe do you propel your guy forward by alternating left-right-left-right? I thought GameTek made the game, not Konami.)

You're shitting us, right? Jesus Christ, standard video game trope: hit the button in the direction you want to go to. Pac-Man does it, Mario does it, Madden does it. When games don't do it (Resident Evil) people bitch.

clemon79

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2014, 04:51:29 PM »
The point of jiggle-to-run (or pound-the-buttons-to-run in the case of Track & Field in the arcade) in these games isn't meant to simulate actual movement; it's meant to simulate the *fatigue* of actual movement. To that end, it succeeds pretty fantastically. The first time I got the "SPRINT!!!" message after pacing myself for 1300 meters at the end of Activision Decathalon was a pretty good gaming moment in my formative years simply because it fairly accurately portrayed the dig-deep-now-dig-deeper feeling that I would imagine an elite athlete has at the end of a long competition.

pacdude

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2014, 05:12:40 PM »
The point of jiggle-to-run (or pound-the-buttons-to-run in the case of Track & Field in the arcade) in these games isn't meant to simulate actual movement; it's meant to simulate the *fatigue* of actual movement. To that end, it succeeds pretty fantastically.

Absolutely agree, and the distinction should be made clear.

clemon79

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2014, 05:24:45 PM »
Track & Field II had issues too. I found the hammer throw particularly frustrating.

Thinking about it, Track & Field II was relatively unplayable unless you had a controller with an autofire function, at which point the records started falling like distance runners near Zola Budd.

PYLdude

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2014, 05:43:08 PM »

Thinking about it, Track & Field II was relatively unplayable unless you had a controller with an autofire function, at which point the records started falling like distance runners near Zola Budd.

The main problem with Track & Field II, to me, was the completely out of whack control scheme. I understand that kind of was the point, considering the varied amount of events they had (from track to gymnastics to shooting to fencing). But I think what it boiled down to was two basic control schemes that worked- impossible tasks with the D-pad or overreliance on button mashing. The diving and highbar events were really notorious for that IMO.

I didn't mind it when I was seven but now that I'm 31 I like to think I know better.