Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GS home and video games: what you DIDN'T like.  (Read 14712 times)

aaron sica

Re: GS home and video games: what you DIDN'T like.
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 02:40:35 PM »
I waited for months for the GameTek TPIR computer game to be released--far later than originally announced. Clearly the company was putting a lot of extra effort into this game to make it as much like the show as possible.  Or not.

I found most all of the GameTek versions of game shows to be fun and enjoyable...Up until this one. Playing "Card Game" (or whatever it might have been called in this version) for something that was $300 and losing on the first hand? No fun. Hated the way the prizes were haphazardly thrown into games that they didn't belong in.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 02:42:59 PM »
Did anybody start the car playing Hollywood Squares or complete the Double Dare Obstacle Course/800m sprint?
Travis L. Eberle

aaron sica

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 02:47:16 PM »
Did anybody start the car playing Hollywood Squares or complete the Double Dare Obstacle Course/800m sprint?

On the Commodore 64 version of DD I did win the obstacle course, after many...many...MANY....tries.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 03:03:01 PM »
Assuming you mean the NES game, absolutely.  I used to have a screencap of it on my old website.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

beatlefreak84

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 03:45:34 PM »

Hollywood Squares:  Yes (sadly, you get the same fanfare as with the Secret Square)
Double Dare:  No (the closest I ever got was I grabbed the flag on the 8th obstacle...once.  But, it doesn't count unless you hand it off to your partner)

\could routinely get 7 obstacles, though

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 02:04:46 AM »
One I'm gonna mention before we forget is the Win Lose or Draw NES game.

I could imagine this working on let's say the DS (and that's only because of the stylus incorporated into the system) or maybe the Wii, but considering the controls of the 8 bit NES and it's like trying to play Pictionary on an Etch-a-Sketch...not so much.

I'll throw a bone for one that wasn't bad but at the same time was horribly lacking- the Remote Control NES game. I didn't have an issue with the gameplay or the fact that for the most part it stayed true to the source material. What I did have an issue with was that the game just...ended. There wasn't a bonus, there wasn't anything that was remotely captivating about it and made you want to play it more than the inital time out of curiosity.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 02:11:33 AM »
Someone at MB told me they went with the Pyramid end game matching the front game because "who would judge the clues?". In one sense, it's understandable. Who wants to end the game with a big argument over whether or not you won the $10,000 with illegal clues? But I agree. It was lousy. Glad Cardinal/Endless went the right way.

Jay Temple

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 11:41:44 AM »
Someone at MB told me they went with the Pyramid end game matching the front game because "who would judge the clues?". In one sense, it's understandable. Who wants to end the game with a big argument over whether or not you won the $10,000 with illegal clues?
And you could say the same thing about the main game. "It was 'sixty,' and you said 'fifty.' They both end in 'ty'!" (I'm making that one up, but it's not so different from "Saturday/sundae.")
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2014, 02:02:09 PM »
I remember playing SNES version of Nickelodeon's Guts only once, and I absolutely hated it.

The NES version of Double Dare was okay, but the controls were really tedious, especially on the obstacle course. British-based Rare Ltd. made plenty of great games for GameTek, but this wasn't one of them.

BrandonFG

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2014, 02:43:05 PM »
It's prolly been close to 25 years since I played it, but I seem to remember finding the home version of Finders Keepers pretty crummy. From what I recall, the "rooms" of the house were tiny individual cardboard boxes (about the size of a jewelry box), but the "Finders" part of the game seemed nonexistent.

Was never a big fan of board games that didn't incorporate the bonus game into the box, and instead went with the "most money after three rounds wins!" format.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2014, 03:14:57 PM »
Was never a big fan of board games that didn't incorporate the bonus game into the box, and instead went with the "most money after three rounds wins!" format.
The most ludicrous of that was from $1M Chance...: To become a millionaire you had to solve all three puzzles in the game.

Yee-haw.

The box game solved a problem that Sale of the Century has when played "for funnies"--you play (some number of) games and whoever has the most loot all up wins. The instant bargains may pale in comparison to the winner's prize cards but at least they're points to an end and not just vaporloot.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2014, 01:18:50 AM »
Have to bump with a warning for anybody who has an Android device (I don't know if it's on IOS)...

you know how some of us weren't too fond of the Ludia PYL game?

There's one out there that's worse than you could've ever imagined. It's what I believe is a homebrew game, of questionable quality, no whammy effects (the only sound effect you get when you hit a whammy sounds like the buzzer when nobody rings in in the question rounds), the slides I don't think change, the sound effects aren't even from the right show (the guy programmed the board sound from Whammy), and the maker ripped Gary Kroeger's intro from Whammy to begin it.

The sad part is that I believe that I just downloaded the free edition. There's a pay edition for $1.99.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2014, 07:49:58 AM »
One I'm gonna mention before we forget is the Win Lose or Draw NES game.

I could imagine this working on let's say the DS (and that's only because of the stylus incorporated into the system) or maybe the Wii, but considering the controls of the 8 bit NES and it's like trying to play Pictionary on an Etch-a-Sketch...not so much.
If programmed right, this could work perfectly with the Wii U since it has a separate touchscreen someone could draw on.

Most of you have outlined my problems with video/computer games, but one I wanted to point out was the lack of returning champs on NES. I started out on computer adaptations, so I always liked the fact that the game saved my winnings (and deleted them when I was defeated). For me, it gave the game a higher replay value.

As an aside, I often complained on here when a Jeopardy game used a multiple choice response format, but in retrospect, it really speeds the game up. Looking at the 8/16 bit versions, those games (depending on who you played with) could take a really long time to finish.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

gameboy2000

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 07:59:19 AM »

Yes to both questions. I have been able to complete the DD obstacle course by not making any mistakes.
gameboy2000.weebly.com

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 08:40:46 AM »

Yes to both questions. I have been able to complete the DD obstacle course by not making any mistakes.
It really does require you to be mistake free. One missed flag grab and it's basically over.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.